Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2012 skidoo backcountry e tec 800 and didn't get a chance to ride at all last year. Today was the first trip on it in 2-3 years and four miles later I notice the temp light on and the engine starts steaming like crazy and the engine stalls. The conditions were two feet of fresh powder going through farm fields so I didn't expect any overheating.

Im honestly not sure if the temp light was on earlier but didn't notice it until it stalled. I let it cool and went to add coolant and it all just leaks out. I took the exhaust box off and see a little hole that has coolant leaking from it. It seemed a little sluggish at low roms to start but I chalked it up to old fuel. I don't know much about engines but was looking for advice. After it was cool, it struggled a bit to start but seemed okay to load into trailer. Maybe a little more sluggish but I'm not sure.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looking at part diagrama I can't even find that part. I'm not sure what it is called. It looks like a hole just blew through the side. Should coolant be there in the first place? How difficult is the boot to replace? Do I have more problems than just the blown hole?

·
Registered
260 Posts
That looks like the water pump to me. They usually have a weep hole to let coolant out if the seal fails. Looks to me like that’s what is happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dave, after lots of looking at the parts diagrams it looks like the thermostat that has a hole in it. I wasn't sure if there were more issues so I took it in to a $$ dealer. They said they never saw anything like it.

I found one thread on a skidoo forum from a guy who had the exact story as me. Should be ready to go for next year now that all the snow is melting here in central michigan 😣

·
Registered
260 Posts
Wow that’s crazy, a hole in the thermostat housing. I had to search and found the old thread (screen shot below). Based on that make sure they check the water pump operation before they get it back to you. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha, yes that is the exact same post I had found too. Thanks again for the input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts