Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody else had a problem with coolant hoses either rubbing and/or melting due to being too close to the engine block. I was in northern Maine yesterday and the coolant hose under the engine (can be seen when can is removed) has split due to friction/melting from the engine block. Looks like I'll need to pull whole engine to replace this $10 piece of hose. Anybody else have the same issue?? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
Yep, it was a service bulletin for 03 and 04's. Need to cut approx 1.5" off the end of the hose (service part is already shorter). It can be changed WITHOUT pulling the engine.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Yikes! Mine is a 04 f7 with not that many miles & sure enough I pulled the can to check & mine had worn through to the point it was SEEPING green!! I am amazed this didnt rupture on my last ride last year, noway this would have made a day of riding.
Now. Can someone explain to me like I am a child how to replace & bleed system? I would imagine access is by removing shield under the sled, correct?
Anyone have the revised part # of the updated hose?
IF anyone has a 03,04 YOU BETTER CHECK! It is hard not to imagine wear if not changed because this hose is pushed tight up to the lower corner of the block.
No pictures needed, pull your can & you will see it, the hose will be in the left corner visible clear as day once can out. You will need to push the hose down with your left hand while you bend over & shine a light in there...
Pull can, may save you being broke down on side of trail.
Here is mine, Glad I read this & took the 2 minutes to check!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I've done some research and I found a service bulletin that ended Dec. 2004. Here is a link -Click Here I guess I'll call the dealer on Tuesday to figure this out. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
The real kick in the balls is that they did this on the 03's and then they did the EXACT SAME THING on the 04's! :frech32: :wtf: were these guys thinking (or should I say smoking).

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
,,,again, Cat quality control (or lack-of) at work. This small stupid stuff is what gets Cat laughed at,, why was is not caught before sleds were shipped?,, and then to repeat it???? JMO. snap

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
LOL Warranty claims on this bulletin ended 2 years ago.. Oh well, good excuse to put a temperature gauge on her now since that is the hose the sending unit needs to go in rumor has it...
Well thanks guys for the heads up, I ordered a Autometer 60-210 temp gauge, Grip & Rip "T" for the sender & a new hose. This will be next weekends project...
Better in a warm garage than broke down on the side of the trail....
The sad part is I cannot imagine knowing the hose was resting with pressure on the lower corner of the block was allowed to pass in the first production run never mind the second? Isnt it common sense rubber+ constant vibration/friction =hole? Juat when I thought I had all the "kinks" outta her another one arises :(

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
To avoid any 'other' kinks (issues), place plastic wire loom over the oil lines in front of the primary as well. Take off your belly pan and you can see where potential rub through areas are.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Great advice. I already did the fix for the recoil rope last year. Everything visible from top I secured & or addded scrap hose to pad a potential rub area. Makes sense to look csrefully under her now...
Just amazing these chaff areas were overlooked? The recoil rope, this hose....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Called the dealer today, I bought my F7 as a new 2004 leftover in 2005. I guess they forgot to do the recall on the coolant hose. :banghead: So, anyway they told me to bring it down and they will fix the problem before my scheduled trip on MLK weekend, of course if there is SNOW!!

Do the SNOW DANCE
:fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy:

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
just had my engine out and didn't notice any bad hoses but i'm gonna check her out. also a bunch of my hoses have split loom on em. is that stock from the factory or did the previous owner/dealer do it?

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
WOW, being from S. Carolina, you ARE Hardcore!!! What did you move south from the snowbelt and could not give it up???[/b]

Moved south from CT in the late 80's ....bummed every winter until 2002 when I simply decided that only difference was drive time to snow.. 17 hours (1000 miles) to Pittsburg, not long when you wait all year to go :)
Last year we drove from SC all the way up to Saugenay in Quebec... because of low snow on the week we planned.
Plus I get the joy of showing off sleds to people here who have never seen them...
I worked on sleds alot growing up so I can do most of the servicing myself. EFI stuff new to me & the dealer recalls are a pain in the @ss..

·
Registered
524 Posts
Moved south from CT in the late 80's ....bummed every winter until 2002 when I simply decided that only difference was drive time to snow.. 17 hours (1000 miles) to Pittsburg, not long when you wait all year to go :)
Last year we drove from SC all the way up to Saugenay in Quebec... because of low snow on the week we planned.
Plus I get the joy of showing off sleds to people here who have never seen them...
I worked on sleds alot growing up so I can do most of the servicing myself. EFI stuff new to me & the dealer recalls are a pain in the @ss..[/b]

I should have hooked up with you when I lived in Charleston from 1998 to 2003.
Summers sure do get hot down there though!

Bill

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
I had to re route the main loom & plug wires when you put it into a right turn the steering arm would grab all the wires and push them into the engine. I cut up bunch of old hose and anywhere a hose or a wire comes close to the bulkhead I siliconed a piece of rubber on it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts