Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read the following news story in the Conway Daily Sun. I found it to be very informative and truthful. I hope you will enjoy the read as I did.

Constitution Park key link in proposed snowmobile trail expansion
New trails would link Ossipee to Rochester
Nate Giarnese

OSSIPEE—Selectmen are poised to let a local snowmobile club cross town land at Constitution Park, a key stretch in a proposed new trail network. If trail plans ultimately receive state approval, the club will link its existing trails in Tamworth and Ossipee, providing access to gas and food stores on Route 25, and tie into trail networks as far south as Wakefield, Milton and Rochester.
John Rowe, vice president of Ossipee Valley Snowmobile Club, said a proposal will be submitted to the state once his club has permission from all impacted landowners, including selectmen on behalf of Ossipee. He said the trail plan would connect Ossipee with towns as far south as Rochester and Milton.
Selectmen said they will walk the property and look carefully at details before taking a position. The board on Monday asked the club to flag just where a mapped trail would cross Constitution Park. The board is expected to vote whether to approve the route next week.
Selectmen at Monday night's meeting were cautioned to keep close track of snowmobiles on town property. There were complaints of riders illegally skimming across the lake, building jumps, driving over the bridge and behaving rudely when approached.
John Rowe, vice president of Ossipee Valley Snowmobile Club, said these kinds of concerns are part of the reason his club set out to build a new trail.
"We want to legitimize certain areas and keep people out of certain areas," Rowe said.
He said a state-approved, club-maintained trail through the park would discourage incidents of trespassing and lure riders onto a groomed path, monitored by trail patrols.
Also, Rowe said, club members and state officials will better be able to control sledders' behaviors.
"You can't stop it all," Rowe said. But the club runs a "trail patrol system."
"We can't actually write out a ticket," he said, but patrols report a violator's license number to N.H. Fish and Game officers.
"If the allowed use of trails is permitted, it would result in a positive direction in trying to rectify the ongoing problem of trespass, and provide a legal means of egress to the lakes, businesses and trail systems," Rowe said in a prepared statement to selectmen.
Positive response from landowners, he said, has been "overwhelming."
The idea to connect Broad Bay to a cluster of shops on Route 25 was first brought to selectmen this summer by Effingham snowmobiler Richard Buswell.
Buswell set out to form his own club, but instead he joined Ossipee Valley Snowmobile Club to bring the big business and increasingly family-oriented sport of snowmobiling to local economies.
Rowe said between December 2002 and April 2003, snowmobiling travel parties spent about $453 million statewide.
The latest trail plan, somewhat different than Buswell's plan to connect trails with shops, is still expected to bring more snowmobiling dollars to Ossipee, specifically targeting three gas and food shops on Route 25, Rowe reported.
The club's proposed three new trails in the area will link Ossipee Lake and Broad Bay with Abbott and Staples, Lazy Susan's and Dy-No-Mite Variety; and connect to the south with trails maintained by Wakefield's Seven Lakes club in Pine River State Park.
Impact on the area will be low, Rowe said, and all-terrain vehicles will not be allowed on trails.
Buswell has said more trails and more volunteers could make Ossipee a premiere snowmobile destination to rival the great North Woods. Only a handful in a few area clubs do all the maintenance, he said.
Information on local snowmobiling can be found at the Ossipee Valley web site at www.ossipeevalleysnowmobileclub.com.

Great job John and Mitch! :div20:

Freedom Rider

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
That's great to hear. Very well written article, sounds like the trail work you guys want to do up that way is being received well. :banana: :beerchug: :celebrating: :dance2:

If all goes well for my new little club down here that southern most point of Rochester will actually read "Dover", cause we are working hard to connect to existing trails in Rochester.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by nhrev@Sep 22 2005, 01:16 AM
That's great to hear.  Very well written article, sounds like the trail work you guys want to do up that way is being received well. :banana:  :beerchug:  :celebrating:  :dance2:

If all goes well for my new little club down here that southern most point of Rochester will actually read "Dover", cause we are working hard to connect to existing trails in Rochester.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=886507
[/quote]
I see that you have your plate full as well!
Keep up the great drive to get to Rochester.
A lot of work equals great rewards.
Freedom Rider

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point CKF. It is all about team work!!
If more people took that attitude the work load would be smaller and the outcome would be greater!
Freedom Rider
PS. Just my two cents worth!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Nice representation guys. Our sport is a great family activity whether it be during the riding season and also during the maintainence season.
The benefits to landowners and small communities should be advertised so that all involved can make educated and informed decisions concerning the winter use of their lands.
You guys are making a much needed positive impact on all parties involved.
Thanks,
Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts