Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the biggest differences people have seen between Northern NH, and Northern Kingdom of VT relative to the trials, grooming of the trials and typical snowfall?

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
A couple seasons ago, I rode NH on a Saturday, and the NEK on Sunday.

We rode into Pittsburg and down to Lancaster, and back to our truck in West Stewartstown. By noon that day, most of the trails were pounded. I bet we met 100 sleds that day.

The following day the NEK was absolutely mint. We met maybe 20 sleds.

I haven't been back to NH since.

When I was younger, Island Pond was like the capital of the Northeast for snowmobiling. I believe that has now shifted to Northern, NH.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
The late week, weekend sled traffic in Pittsburg is undeniable,and it takes a toll on the trails, especially around town. Once outside of town especially north, the trails hold up better. Last year, we chased snow. As an example, we stayed in Pittsburg over Super Bowl weekend last year. Low snow to south, tough riding into towns. Good north of town. Just too much pressure on the trails. The do a good job grooming most areas of NH. There was a convoy of trailers heading up there as we left, so the traffic would be steady if not more. But my experiences mirror one ton fun's. As soon as you get away from Canaan and Colebrook into VT, the trails and grooming improve, as does signage. The grooming fleet out of IP is impressive, and Derby and other clubs are on it like flies on shit. There is a bigger area to disperse the riders in northern VT, so bottom line, trails will hold up better. My worthless $.02.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I've ridden from my house in Island Pond now 2 winters since retirement tagging both VT & NH. Weekends both States get pounded! I now do all my riding Sunday through Friday. Both States are very good! All the clubs & counties do an excellent job taking care of their trails. The biggest difference I've seen is in signage. VT has a more uniformed system. I've had to squint looking at orange placards with faded sharpie in NH but I know the difference is because of how each State is funded. That's changing little by little as SDR, Colebrook Ski Bees, Lancaster have excellent signs now. Midweek is where it's at if you can.

·
Registered
586 Posts
All the clubs & counties do an excellent job taking care of their trails. The biggest difference I've seen is in signage. VT has a more uniformed system
^^^^^^^^^
This is it in a nutshell. Both states have very good grooming. I would argue VT is more uniform but its close. The big difference is one person with ONE map can find their way easily from border to border in VT, in NH it is a different story.
I ride both

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I've never reg'd in VT before, only ridden there on a few random reciprocal weekends which means the furthest I've gotten is Canaan pretty much. Last year reciprocal weekend I spent at my buddys house in Brandon, and we spent a few days riding near Chittenden Res. and that area. I was impressed at the quality of the grooming and signage and made it a point to try to do more riding in VT.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The biggest difference I've seen is in signage.
rja is spot on. Signage in VT is incredible...much like riding Canada.
As others mentioned, much less sled traffic compared to Pittsburg so the groomed trails hold up longer.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I prefer VT as well I register for both every year....But even in Pittsburg NH the signage is not as good as Southern VT let alone NEK.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I think Vermont just gets way less traffic than NH and that is the biggest factor. I would agree that the signing in VT is awesome, love that most of their signs have the mileages to the different areas as well. Being a groomer operator here in Gorham the biggest challenge we have is major traffic and mostly from Rental Sleds, it is ridiculous the amount of rentals they put out in a day!

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Okay guys, cool thing for everyone this winter is to register in NH and VT but only ride in VT. Let’s get this movement going. Lol.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I think I will reg in VT this year. My only reservation is that out of Maine, NH and VT, VT is the one that usually gets screwed the most on snow if it's a bad year. There is always snow in Pittsburg north of Lake Francis, always snow in Aroostock Cty but VT can be a snow drought some years.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting. We spent a few days exploring around Island Pond and Lake Willoughby this summer, and it seemed like there would be some nice field-to-field type riding, which is pretty scarce in NH. A second VT reg seems pretty compelling. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Yes, west of IP and north is a lot field riding. Can be tough when the wind is howling and -20. But great otherwise, picturesque.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts