What the best mountain sled PNW

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I'm in the market for a sled 2013-17 .
Purpose for my question is I'm new and don't have a well rounded advice pool around me. My pool says buy a Polaris you'll never regret the decision..... well Artic Cat speaks to me I like them. Why? No solid reason.
Please hammer out reasons Polaris is king, why artic cat is better than skidoo and so on.

THANKS AGAIN

·
Registered
299 Posts
Find a dealer within a reasonable driving distance that treats you well. Buy whatever it is they're selling. This decision will be more important than the color of the hood.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Grab some popcorn G-rover, this ought to be entertaining ...

To try to add value to this post, I'll add my $.02 which is probably not a popular opinion. I can't justify the cost of 'newer' machines (You specified '13-'17) since, in my opinion, there isn't enough reliability/comfort gain over 'a well setup old iron' (early 2000s). I ride Polaris, not because it's necessarily better. Honestly when I got into the sport (15 years ago) the group I started riding with all had Polaris and had great results with reliability (ie., "they said" they saw other brands on the side of the trail more often than Polaris. While maybe that seemed true in our area back then, I think all brands have their reliability issues, especially with the newer machines. To me the kicker is when your machine does go down, how much $$ will it take to get back on the snow ... $500, $1k, $2k ?
Early to mid 2000s is where my comfort level is to give me a balance of reliability/fun/cost (spare parts are cheap, and i've acquired plenty on the shelf to literally rebuild the entire sled). I'm not opposed to other brands, but i am now very familiar with the 'old iron' edge chassis and what to keep my eye on throughout the season.
I'd love to try some of the newer sleds and different brands. Honestly, durability/reliability is priority for me. But I am very interested in something that might provide better MPG.
That is the biggest downfall I see with my scenario, is most newer sleds are getting +5 to +10 MPG better with more HP compared to me. Fuel and food will be your biggest expense if your money conscious.

·
Super Moderator
2016 1200 Renegade X
242 Posts
Tell us what type of riding you plan to do. Are you looking for a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke? Lots of different sleds out there that are good at different things.

What’s your wrenching ability?

I’d worry less about brand and more about what you want from a sled. Every brand has good and bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapajunk Pro

Reactions: G-rover

·
Premium Member
39,239 Posts
Hey everyone,
Purpose for my question is I'm new and don't have a well rounded advice pool around me. My pool says buy a Polaris you'll never regret the decision..... well Artic Cat speaks to me I like them. Why? No solid reason.
Please hammer out reasons Polaris is king, why artic cat is better than skidoo and so on.

THANKS AGAIN
You ride/live in a Mountain area?

·
Premium Member
6,943 Posts
yes, polaris is the best in the hills. some will say the doo 850 turbo 2 stroke is.

these people are wrong.and gay.

·
Premium Member
20,643 Posts
(He was kidding right there....)
Seriously though, buying used is a gamble that is made a lot more risky, when you are new to the sport and don’t necessarily know what you’re looking at. Whatever you do, I’d pick a friend (just one, knowledgeable one) to go look with you.

·
Registered
15 Pro-S/15 8RR/21 850 XRS
1,777 Posts
For the mountain sled, you will get way better info over at snowestdotcom. As this is a flatland site, and no full time mountain riders.
As others have stated. Since your a first timer. I would steer away from used and go new. That would have a warranty, and the dealer would look after your sleds if problems arise, and mountain riding is very hard on engines and chassis, so there will be some problems with the sled you run into.
But if you have an endless pocket of $$ then no worries on getting used, as dealers hourly rates can be in the hundreds/hr.

·
Registered
45,103 Posts
Hey everyone,

THANKS AGAIN
Whatever you decide to buy for a used sleds just be sure you have a pocket full of cash for the repairs, and maintenance it'll require. Usually that happens sooner then later.

·
Registered
Lynx XTrim 850 RE3500 -18
260 Posts
If you buy a used sled, check the track throughly, they seem to be wear hard...

·
Registered
45,103 Posts
If you buy a used sled, check the track throughly, they seem to be wear hard...
Can't say i've ever seen an issue with 5 year old or newer sled having a worn track. Its usually the skid bearings/idler wheels, clutch components, and lack of maintenance to the fuel system, and shocks for starters.

·
Registered
Lynx XTrim 850 RE3500 -18
260 Posts
Can't say i've ever seen an issue with 5 year old or newer sled having a worn track. Its usually the skid bearings/idler wheels, clutch components, and lack of maintenance to the fuel system, and shocks for starters.
Here in Sweden mountainsleds are run hard and tracks are replaced on (at least) a yearly basis by som riders.
A few broken lugs may not mean much but a whole side of broken lugs may.. or missing lugs. And a new track is expensive.

Of course it depends on how you ride and where, but the question was for mountainsleds.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Grab some popcorn G-rover, this ought to be entertaining ...

To try to add value to this post, I'll add my $.02 which is probably not a popular opinion. I can't justify the cost of 'newer' machines (You specified '13-'17) since, in my opinion, there isn't enough reliability/comfort gain over 'a well setup old iron' (early 2000s). I ride Polaris, not because it's necessarily better. Honestly when I got into the sport (15 years ago) the group I started riding with all had Polaris and had great results with reliability (ie., "they said" they saw other brands on the side of the trail more often than Polaris. While maybe that seemed true in our area back then, I think all brands have their reliability issues, especially with the newer machines. To me the kicker is when your machine does go down, how much $$ will it take to get back on the snow ... $500, $1k, $2k ?
Early to mid 2000s is where my comfort level is to give me a balance of reliability/fun/cost (spare parts are cheap, and i've acquired plenty on the shelf to literally rebuild the entire sled). I'm not opposed to other brands, but i am now very familiar with the 'old iron' edge chassis and what to keep my eye on throughout the season.
I'd love to try some of the newer sleds and different brands. Honestly, durability/reliability is priority for me. But I am very interested in something that might provide better MPG.
That is the biggest downfall I see with my scenario, is most newer sleds are getting +5 to +10 MPG better with more HP compared to me. Fuel and food will be your biggest expense if your money conscious.
Thanks for all your words, and you're about the first to say such. Seems like everyone is pushing the newer sleds for performance and ride ability.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tell us what type of riding you plan to do. Are you looking for a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke? Lots of different sleds out there that are good at different things.

What’s your wrenching ability?

I’d worry less about brand and more about what you want from a sled. Every brand has good and bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapajunk Pro
It will be riding in the passes of the PNW. As I currently do not own a sled the answer is I'm not sure. The group is be most likely riding with rides groomed, some hill climb and starting to do more trees as the kids are getting older. So I'm really all over the map.
I'm a fair wrench, made my living wrenching for 13 years.
To be honest I was only really looking at 2 strokes as I was told 4 strokes are too heavy and expensive when they do fail.

Thx

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For the mountain sled, you will get way better info over at snowestdotcom. As this is a flatland site, and no full time mountain riders.
As others have stated. Since your a first timer. I would steer away from used and go new. That would have a warranty, and the dealer would look after your sleds if problems arise, and mountain riding is very hard on engines and chassis, so there will be some problems with the sled you run into.
But if you have an endless pocket of $$ then no worries on getting used, as dealers hourly rates can be in the hundreds/hr.
Oh I didn't realize their was a hills and plains site, thx.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Whatever you decide to buy for a used sleds just be sure you have a pocket full of cash for the repairs, and maintenance it'll require. Usually that happens sooner then later.
See now that's some words I don't want to hear...... serious

1 - 20 of 46 Posts