Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My riding group is hardcore. We've been using Collett Communicators for about 7 years... great for safety, warning the group of hazards ahead, etc.

How many of us on this site use them, and for what purpose?

Just curious.
-kj

·
Registered
298 Posts
In my opinion this is the best safety device you can add to your group of hardcore riders. I lead our group and being able to advise of hazards and traffic makes the ride much safer. just think if your group spreads out everyone has to meet that crazy rider who just blew past you at 100mph. with the communicators you know your wife, kids, or friends are ready and to the right. they do have to be set up correctly to aviod unwanted static but once dialed in you'll never ride without!!!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
for $50.00 you can get motorola hand helds w/ 2 mile range and keep in your jacket , use for safety if group splits up.
lot cheaper than helement units

·
Registered
4 Posts
Collets are good for a half mile tops, don't believe the claims. But the FRS handhelds aren't any better, and you need headsets and the vox will suck. Chatterbox units are junk imo. Collets are far from perfect, but still probably the best choice for most of us.

·
Registered
298 Posts
you'll never be able to have a conversation yahoo's and warnings work best.
they also give you a warning for groomers very helpfull on those narrow trails.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can have conversations... having a talkie in my pocket wouldn' t accomplish the safety aspect...plus, you can have conversations if you get good at using them...you have to talk slower. Safety aspect is huge, plus it is fun to poke fun at goofball riders who we pass or who come at us....

KJ

Collett unit is advert. in all the mags. around 200 i think....

·
Registered
454 Posts
We use them for all 5 of of us in our family and like them. The range is about what Rob said. Like others have said, the safety factor is nice. I imagine our boys are going to ride ahead a little farther of us this year so we will not be able to hear them, he, he, but I still think they are a good investment. I posted elsewhere on this site that Dennis Kirk has them right now for 157 dollars and they are in stock as of 15 minutes ago. They are the units we use (cellmate 900's)

·
Registered
861 Posts
The Cellmate 900's are still in stock at that price, however if you ride the kids with you, the plus version with the hook-up for the passengers is out of stock, and Collett has no more of them either.
I just ordered from Collett the Platinum 900 with the passenger option and it was around 440.00 or so for 2 of the units and 2 passenger units.

Kevin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts