Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the Christmas week, my girlfriend and I headed up to the UP to do some riding. Most of my negative experiences occurred while riding Lake Gogebic while doing some speed runs. I NOT pleased with the clutching on this sled.

Issue #1- after I broke the sled in (at about 300 miles on the sled) on my very first high speed run on Lake Gogebic, I blasted a belt after only opening it up for a few seconds. Of course changing the belt on DD for the very first time in the dark on a lake was a real treat. Fortunately, I had brought a oil filter strap wrench for just this occasion....it worked ok. I was running a Carlisle Ultimax XS 808. It was the most expensive belt I found (but not necessarily the best). I did not see what the RPM was when it blew, but it definately did over rev when it blew. The speedo needle was buried. I didn't have a GPS speed. When I was changing the belt, the sheaves didn't seem overly hot to me as I would have expected.

Issue #2- If at first you do not succeed, try try again. The following night I was going to try it again. I had on a 032 belt and had properly broken it in. Whlile running down the lake at about 60 mph (sorry didn't see the RPM's), I opened the throttle...and nothing.. It stayed at about 60 mph. I backed off of the throttle and then hit it again, and it took off like a rocket. I was able to re-create this several times. Again, I didn't see the RPM. I am assuming that it is refusing to shift out and that refusal to shift maybe contributed to me blowing a belt the first night?

So, last night I dropped the sled off to Country Cat in Sauk Centre, MN. I requested they check the obvious. Clutch alignment, etc. I requested from them some recommendations for upgrades.

#1 What happened with my clutching?
#2 What upgrades MUST I do? (torque link/stops, clutch kits, 029 belts, etc.)?

I must say, I was really disappointed in the clutching on this thing...assuming that was my problem.....

·
Registered
851 Posts
I bought a 06 900 efi,got approx 400 miles on it.So far belt looks like new,have made many high speed runs on the lake,not ice lots of snow.The part I like is the clutches seem to run quite cool,unlike my 03 900 with chain.The act drive is totally new to me also.If been picking up a bit of info on these forums from day to day,its sounds like they have pretty much changed something on the secondary every year so far since 04.Right now I find this thing is a revver compared to the 03 that pulled hard at 7300.This 06 at times is touching 76-7700rpm's.I'm now looking for a set of weights to try to make this thing pull harder.Not sure whether to get an adjustable weight or gamble on a set of fix weights.Other than needing a whole new set of clutch parts,I'm very happy with the sled.I have always used cat belts,why were you using the ultimax?I used a torque arm on my 03.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Your sled came with a 10" secondary. That is notorious for slipping which will cause excessive belt wear and head and bad all around performance. You should update to the 10.4 secondary sheeves that Black Diamond (inventors of the diamond drive) make. Last I checked they were around $300. You will also have to run the AC 045 belt which is what the 06' uses.

This will put your clutching at close to what the 06' 900 was. The only other difference is that the 05' has a 8.5" primary and the 06' is a 8.25'.

IMO the 8.5" will allow you to pull more over drive.

Not sure why you are blowing belts?? Maybe its something to do with Carlisle delts? The 808 is the right one for your sled. If you switch to the 10.4 you will need the 811. As far as I know they didn't make any 811s as it would only work on one model year. Check with them though.

Just thought of something. Maybe your dealer or who ever you bought your sled from already did the 10.4 conversion? If they did and you are running the 808 it would be stretching it which would cause it to blow. Just a thought.

Did the 032 belt come on it? What belt deflection adjuster are you running? Black, White or the updated aluminum with the long bolt?

Your lack of throtle response was likely improper belt deflection. Could be because its the wrong belt??

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Turnerrd-

Thanks for the suggestions. I am having a 10.4" upgrade done by next Wednesday. I am being charged $300 for the upgrade (including the belt) installed for $300. The dealer agrees exactly with your assessment. Thank you very much!

Do you guys have a recommendation for a torgue stop/ link? Sno-Tek, Lennco, SLP??

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Turnerrd-

Thanks for the suggestions. I am having a 10.4" upgrade done by next Wednesday. I am being charged $300 for the upgrade (including the belt) installed for $300. The dealer agrees exactly with your assessment. Thank you very much!

Do you guys have a recommendation for a torgue stop/ link? Sno-Tek, Lennco, SLP??[/b]
85 gr daltons,,.. at least.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys! I will order a torque link from Sno-Tek next week. Have the 10.4" kit on and will be headed to Hurley to give it a try in the morning. Running the 045 belt.

I have the GPS with me in case I get a chance to run on Lake Gogebic and do some speed comparisons.... We shall see if the 045 holds together! :) Altho I should probably wait until I get the torque link installed....

Again thanks for the advice guys!

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Quit screwing around and call Dan at ODS IMO.

I installed his clutch kit in my wife's 04 900efi last year and IT WAS AWESOME!!!

2000 miles on ONE factory Cat belt. No issues and much faster than her 98 Thundercat was. No silly changing secondaries. didn't buy anymore stuff than I needed or any other issues. No torque link either.

And she didn't ride it like a sissy FWIW. Always right up my rear in the trails. And in a drag race she easily smoked my 2002 ZR8efi.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts