Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone been having starting problems in cold weather?

My '06 FST wouldn't start yesterday morning and it was 12 above F. Last year I couldn't get it to start below zero. I really was hoping with the updates that it would be a better starter. Ever since the updates it doesn't pop right off. Fires and kicks the starter out about 3 or 4 times, depending how cold it is.

We were really looking forward to our annual Christmas morning ride too. Had to wait for about 4 hours, then it finally started. We put on about 75 miles, about 50 with the 'check engine light' on. Then it went out.

It's going into the shop tomorrow. Hopefully for the last time.................. :dunno:

·
Registered
952 Posts

My '06 FST wouldn't start yesterday morning and it was 12 above F. Last year I couldn't get it to start below zero. I really was hoping with the updates that it would be a better starter. Ever since the updates it doesn't pop right off. Fires and kicks the starter out about 3 or 4 times, depending how cold it is.

We were really looking forward to our annual Christmas morning ride too. Had to wait for about 4 hours, then it finally started. We put on about 75 miles, about 50 with the 'check engine light' on. Then it went out.

It's going into the shop tomorrow. Hopefully for the last time.................. :dunno:[/b]
Man, that stinks. I noticed mine did that when I got it home from reflash. Thought it was loaded up from dealer. It did start, but took a couple trys. Never did it last year. Could also be my almost 1 year old fuel. In the 75 miles were you able to judge the revalved shocks? How bout fuel milage? Power?
Thanks

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man, that stinks. I noticed mine did that when I got it home from reflash. Thought it was loaded up from dealer. It did start, but took a couple trys. Never did it last year. Could also be my almost 1 year old fuel. In the 75 miles were you able to judge the revalved shocks? How bout fuel milage? Power?
Thanks[/b]
I've actually got over 300 miles on the FST so far this year. Sure rides a hell of alot better than last year. So the revalve and heavier bushing really worked. We haven't groomed any trails yet so it's mostly been boondocking, and that's not a fair way to judge the mileage. AS far as power it really cleans up on our 600HO. And I don't remember that it could do that last year. Of course I studded the FST up now so it's not spinning as much now.

I've got to get the starting issue figured out though. I'm taking it to the shop tomorrow. We're going to rip into it and check every concieveable thing we can. Gonna make that 'digital wrench' smoke. I'm thinking fuel pressure, regulator or ..........
They've notified the Polaris boys and we're gonna talk tomorrow. IF I can get a word in edge wise I'm gonna drill them about the thermostat issue too.

Started it tonight to load it on the trailer and it took three tries before it kept running. NOT good....

·
Registered
357 Posts
Something is wrong there. This didn't happen last year, right?? Be sure to have them check all the hoses and connections and wires for rubs and scrapes and pinches. Let us know what they say about the thermo. I would be interested in that one. Good news is somebody with the 07 sled says no rising oil in the tank. So that sounds like something has worked.

·
Registered
74 Posts

It's going into the shop tomorrow. Hopefully for the last time.................. :dunno:[/b]
I have all the updates done and am not having this problem, could this be because I keep a battery tender on this
sled at all times or could it be that I have replaced one of the vacuum lines from one throttle body to the idle air control
motor due to a rub thru ? just a thought The idle air control motor is located above the valve cover (center) and the
electrical plug faces you as you look at it under the hood ( this unit is confused with being the fuel pump alot on this site)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I bought a '06 FST Switchback very late in the season last year.I rode it once and brought it back for some radiator work and was told I had to wait for 4 weeks for a new ECU. By then I was only able to get less than 50 miles on it before putting it away for the season.
I just took it in to the shop for the third time. The second time I took it out it wouldn't start at 12F, and the dealer replaced the throttle safety switch.

I just got it out last weekend from Summer storage (we finally got enough snow), and it wouldn't start. I took it in to the dealer last week and he said he's seen a few incidences of fouled plugs after long storage. That could be bad for one of the attractions of a 4 stroke if it becomes a characteristic.

They are doing the updates and changing plugs for me, but he thought the reflash was already done back in March. :linemup:
I'm hoping it comes back tip top. A starting problem on a 4 stroke where you can't get to the plugs and no pull start is not good.
This is an expensive sled that I want to put ALOT of trouble free miles on!

·
Registered
357 Posts
I am sorry, but if your dealer told you that he thought the reflash was done back in the spring, then you need to find another more competitent dealer. The one you have doesn't know a two stroke from a four stroke. And the plugs don't foul while sitting around in the summer....does your truck plugs foul if you don't run it for a month or so....neither will these. If they were fouled it was because the sled had a rich run condition and they were fouled when you put it away last spring. The dealer plugs your serial number into his computer linked to the factory and it will tell him what has been done and what has yet to be completed with regard to the updates. The reflash was NOT available last spring and only became available in late august after being certified compliant.

Sorry, but those are the facts. Start looking and save yourself the grief you are about to swim in.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I am sorry, but if your dealer told you that he thought the reflash was done back in the spring, then you need to find another more competitent dealer. The one you have doesn't know a two stroke from a four stroke.[/b]
Those were my thoughts exactly when I read this post. It is scary how much damage a dealer can do to these sleds if they don't have the proper knowledge and are just winging it.

·
Registered
952 Posts
They are doing the updates and changing plugs for me, but he thought the reflash was already done back in March.[/b]
This reflash was done to finish the "Popping out of gear" fix. We all had it done last winter. The "fuel Map" flash was not made available untill October.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got back from the dealer. Spent almost the entire day checking out my FST.

First off we slid the sled off the trailer and hooked up the 'Digital Wrench'. Checked all the codes. Only one fault, the O2 sensor which I guess is not to unusal. Not something that would cause the starting problem. Then it was start time. Same ole thing, about 4 tries and it did start. (It was 8 degrees this morning when I left home but by the time I got 125 miles south it had warmed up to 22). We let 'er warm up to operating temp. Shut it down and brought it inside. The mechanic went through every hose and wire. Pulled the plugs out and man were they sooty. I had changed them before the reflash last spring but now we're thinking because it was running so rich before the reflash they may have never cleared out. I think it's the Champion curse. I've never had any luck using Champions in anything. Anyhow new Champions went back in. So I believe the starting problem was caused by the bad plugs. We'll see...........Just a note: I always warmed up this sled before shutting it down.
We talked about the thermostat situation but Polaris is bound and determined that the oil sleeve will do the trick. Sounds like they don't want to get stuck changing them out.
While we were checking things out I put on a new belt. I've got 1500 miles on the original and it was looking pretty tough. Adjusted the secondary too.

Before I left I think the 'Digital Wrench' was on my machine 3 times. That's a real cool tool. I want one. I'm really lucky to have such a good dealer and mechanic.
So I'm hoping this '06 will be back to tip top condition. We're expecting more snow for the next two days.

Sorry I couldn't get any hardcore answers about the thermostats.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
This is for Keetna....

If anyone should know about bad dealers it should be me. My sled is getting service at it's new dealer and the first thing they needed to do was replace the ECU from an improper flash from my last dealer. A lot of these long time dealers don't embrace change very well and my old dealer was one of them. Absolutely hated 4-strokes and didn't want to spend any time learning about them. That's fine, i moved on. Do yourself a favor and find someone that gives a chit about your sled otherwise it'll be a long winter like i found out. I was warned by many on this board but i kept giving more chances. My mistake.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

I just heard from the dealer and he said it's running smooth after the reflash and a change of the plugs. The oil restrictor is not available until mid Jan., but he said I'm good to go for the weekend with just the reflash..... it's 25F today....

What do you think?

I'll get there early tomorrow and see what it looks like, but - call me cynical - I'm doubting it will be reliable for the 4 day weekend without the oil restrictor. I'll blow a gasket if that happens.....again.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

I just heard from the dealer and he said it's running smooth after the reflash and a change of the plugs. The oil restrictor is not available until mid Jan., but he said I'm good to go for the weekend with just the reflash..... it's 25F today....

What do you think?

I'll get there early tomorrow and see what it looks like, but - call me cynical - I'm doubting it will be reliable for the 4 day weekend without the oil restrictor. I'll blow a gasket if that happens.....again.[/b]
You will be fine. I rode mine 2800 miles last year without restrictor and new fuel map. You got the new fuel map. You will need to keep an eye on a couple things though. First, watch your oil level in the tank. If it starts rising, just siphon some off. Its ok to run at the low oil mark. Second, watch the inside of your airbox. If it starts getting oil/fuel in the ribs on bottom of box, soak them up with paper towel. If you get a buildup here and let it go it can drip out the drain holes in front onto your belt. Don't be scarred, these are just precautions that you most likely will not even have to deal with. The reflash should prevent fuel from getting in the oil. Please post back on your findings after ride. (Oil level rise / Fuel milage)
Thanks

·
Registered
357 Posts
I agree with Beeler on this one. EVERYONE rode the sleds last year without the oil restrictor, and it did not leave them stranded, just concerned about the rising oil level. And that came without the benefit of the reflash, which tells the motor to get past the warmup mode and run leaner even in the cooler engine environment. So instead of running in the warmup mode all the time, it now leans out the motor in the 145 to 150 temp range and that alone is bound to help at least significantly reduce the gas in the oil issue. The restrictor just warms the oil even more.

We would all like to know exactly how your sled does on the 4 day run with OUT the oil restrictor, so we can compare it to the totally fixed sleds that do have them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just got back from my 4 day weekend with the 06 FST Switchback and the new reflash. I had 18 miles on it before I left and brought it back with 56 miles on it - check engine light came on flashing after the first 25 miles. Manual says to check turbo hoses - I did and saw nothing out of line, so it stayed parked all weekend while I rode my wife's 550 Classic. It's a good thing she had a cold or it would have been another completely wasted trip.

History: I buy a new 06 Switchback FST in March 06. I take it out once, get 18 miles on it before I notice radiator fluid on the snow. I take it back to the dealer, they do some replace the lower radiator, and tell me they can't give it back to me because it needs a new ECU (???). I wait 4 weeks for that, get my sled back, drive it 2.5 hours, take it off the trailer and it won't stay running - snaps off everytime as soon as I rev above 1400 rpm. I load it back up, take it to the dealer and they replace the Throttle safety switch. By now there's no snow, so I put it away for the Summer and convince the dealer that I need my warranty extended until 07. They extend it until Feb 07. I take it out of storage 2 weeks ago - it won't start. Dealer says plugs are fouled, replaces them and reflashes the ECU. Now I'm on my way back to the dealer to see what's next.

I don't easily spend money on things like this and I spent over $9k on a machine I have yet to be able to ride. I bought my wife's 06 550 classic at the same time that I bought my FST. The dealer says they will do everything they can, and that I might want to call Customer service at Polaris headquarters too.

The little it was running this weekend I saw temperatures at about 150-155F. I towed a small sled once during this time, and went very slow getting the engine up to 192 F. It got down to -14F outside one morning, and it took 3 tries, but it started at that temperature.

I've about had it. I want to throw this thing back at them and get them to give me an 07 or an Arctic cat or something. My buddy brought out a brand new Arctic Cat 4 stroke Bearcat last weekend. Brand new it works like a charm - what is Polaris going to do about this? I'm at my wits end. This sucks, I feel l ike I've been had. It's costing me too much $$ and frustration. what the F?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.