Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my last two rides have been in bitterly cold weather. -30 to -35 C with wind chills in the -45 to -49 C range. both times out the sled ran like crap for the first 20 to 30 minutes. bottom and midrange bog. couldn't hold the trottle at any consistant rpm, had to always be burping the throttle to keep the rpm's steady and the sled from bogging out. yes i use isopropal. after about the as mentioned time, the sled ran great. don't know if this is an efi quirk or what. my carbed sleds never did this. the only thing i can think is it's taking the engine that long to get to a good operating temp. i always let the thing warm up for a minimum 15 minutes. the other thing is it's not loading up. it's more like it wants to die. this also only happened first thing in the morning. after stopping for lunch both days, no such problems on restart.

anyone else experiance this sort of problem with their f7? any ideas?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I experienced the exact same thing at the exact same temps. Mine would run like that for about 10 mins or so and then run great the rest of the day.
I have no clue what happened but she keeps running great so I am not too concerned.

Anyone have any ideas??

·
Registered
173 Posts
yeah I have the same problems with the cold weather, but you must warm it up for quite a while, when you push the throttle and it's nice and smoth rev, then it's ready to ride
have fun guys

·
Registered
334 Posts
Same thing, for about 10 minutes when around -25 , could not start either, needed to pull plugs and loosen up, turn key on and fill cylinders with gas, put plugs in and one pull.

·
Registered
2021 VR1 850, 18 Tiger 8000, 17 RS 6000, 16 ZR 6000, 12 F1100T, 11 EXT 800, 09 Z1 Turbo, 05 ZR 900
10,201 Posts
Originally posted by kungfutu@Mar 12 2003, 05:06 PM
Isopropyl is a joke IMO...
It's not a joke in -15 to -40 temps any water in your fuel at those temps will turn to ice, been there it's no fun when fuel lines are clogged with ice.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Takes a good half hour at those temps, let it run untill right side exchanger is good & warm. I also find that if i run in Ethanol mode when it's that cold it helps.

·
Registered
237 Posts
It was -35 at night my sled took about 10 to 15 pulls
to get it started I let it warm up 20 to 30 min and had
no prob at all the sled ran fine.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Was up in Timmins Ontario in -40C and had nothing but a great run. Took about 7 or 8 pulls in the morning to loosin it up and startt but always let it warmup for a good long while. Ran flawless again. This sled is nothin but awesome. 2000 miles plus and already can't wait for next season. :D B)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh canada: the reason i ask is i'm in south winnipeg and am looking for someone else with an f7 to do some testing/comparisons with. the guys i ride with run zr 800, mxz700, xc700's, xc600 and a rev600ho. none of them are stock and no one can give me a run. it's not even worthwhile racing anymore because i always spank them. would like to run against another f7 to see where i'm at. with the current forcast (plus f...ing 6 tomorrow) not sure we could do much this year, but if your interested and in the area maybe we could hook-up in the future. email me and let me know if your interested.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts