Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
At this point in time...........................

It doesn't really matter. :drunk:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Nice riding today near Detour Lake on about 18" of powder covered logging roads, and the groomers are starting on the trails in the morning.
A little late, but better late than never, last year the Polar Bear Riders started grooming on Dec 17th.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Nice riding today near Detour Lake on about 18" of powder covered logging roads, and the groomers are starting on the trails in the morning.
A little late, but better late than never, last year the Polar Bear Riders started grooming on Dec 17th.[/b]

Gary hows the riding>>?? Abitibi>?

Forgot my cell at the house while I spent 6 days at the cottage watching the lake freeze then that...freeze then thaw....Sounds like I shoulda hitched a ride to cochrane!!!

Have fun...ya bastard....!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I woke up in Cochrane to about 6" of fresh snow on NYs day.
Drove home yesterday and from about Temagami down there is nothing.
Here are a couple pics from Jan. 1st and 2nd 2007.
Cochrane Jan.1st, 2007

Cochrane Jan.1st, 2007

Cochrane Jan.2nd, 2007

Jan.2nd, 2007

New Liskeard Jan.2nd, 2007

·
Registered
671 Posts
thanks for the pics fraz! hopefully that foreign substance is there to stay. have fun with it, and if it sticks around ill be coming up as planned at the end of the month woooo :celebrating: :beerchug:

·
Registered
76 Posts
With that much snow there on January 2, we are not that far behind! That's about how much snow we have ever seen on December 26 in the years past. We're hoping to get up to TATA for January 11-14th.

FRAZ, a few questions, maybe you can help us out.

-How far up/down the "A" trail could you actually ride? Smooth Rock, Kap, Timmins......?
-Groomers out yet?
-Did you hear of any snow in Kirkland Lake?
-How's the ICE up around Cochrane? Enough for groomers? I think they need 15" to cross?
-How many miles did you total up?

You mentioned GREEN from Temagami down? That's not bad....every December when we go to Cochrane, it's GREEN from Kirkland Lake South so I'm not so concerned anymore. Guys, I think the days of sledding from your backyards are lonnnngggg gone. Either be prepared to drive or you'll be spending alot of time "WEB SLEDDING". :banghead:

Thanks....looks like you got some decent riding in.

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
Guys, I think the days of sledding from your backyards are lonnnngggg gone.[/b]
Who ever sleds from their yard unless they live in Parry Sound, Haliburton or Bancroft? I think the last time I was able to sled from my home was when I was 10. Cottage country or 'snow belt' you should be able to however.

·
Registered
146 Posts
where's this detour lake you speak of ?
You take Hwy 652 east of Cochrane towards Quebec for about 20 miles then head north on Detour Lake Rd.
No need to go that far now, the Zeverlys loop just south west of town is good riding or any other logging road.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Gary hows the riding>>?? Abitibi>?

Forgot my cell at the house while I spent 6 days at the cottage watching the lake freeze then that...freeze then thaw....Sounds like I shoulda hitched a ride to cochrane!!!

Have fun...ya bastard....!![/b]
Heading back up on the 10th if your interested. I have to come back to work Monday & Tuesday then I'm off again.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Who ever sleds from their yard unless they live in Parry Sound, Haliburton or Bancroft? I think the last time I was able to sled from my home was when I was 10. Cottage country or 'snow belt' you should be able to however.[/b]

Over 2500 miles last season every trip but one started from my back door here in Port :div20:

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
I drive back and forth thru Port every weekend in the winter. Seems like a lot of snirt.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Nice pics Fraz, I just grew an inch or two.

Last year was the first I couldn't ride to the cottage in Bancroft and back from home. Nothing like a quick mid week night ride to put a charge in ya.

Cheers

·
Registered
269 Posts
Gotta agree with Nutter, I ride often outta my garage and I live in town in Port. Have a vacant feild behind my house, about a couple hundred yards of snowbank/road scraping and into a nice snow filled ditch that leads right to the trail. Of course when the temp increases and the snow on the road sides goes down I lean towards trailering, but do quite often ride from home.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
I drive back and forth thru Port every weekend in the winter. Seems like a lot of snirt.[/b]

Ya there's "the bad spots" but generally if you run east along the ridges you get great conditions considering how far south it is, and how much traffic it see's. But for long runs once you get across Scog (except for a few windblown fields, and the Lindsay joke of a bypass) it's clear sailing to anywhere in Ontario that has snow. If the lake and local swamps are a problem I just run east out to the Ganny and up the rail line through Bathany around the Lindsay "bypass" and again I'm off to where ever.

Try a few midweek runs with the SCOHCSMNRC once the snow fly's, I garantee you'll be hooked on midweek night runs out of Port, no problem running a 100+ miles on <strike>good </strike> great fresh groomed trails with minimum back tracking :ylsuper:

Here's a bunch of local pic's from our short season last year :div20:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts