Hardcore Sledder banner

Which track for SBA 850? 50/50 riding (no studs)

• 1.6 Cobra

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • 1.75 Backcountry

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Make a Hurricane 144" please!

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • other

Votes: 2 8.0%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2020 SBA 850 144x1.6
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

Been lurking around here for a while. Figured it was time to join!

I've put one season on my SBA 850 with a cobra 1.6. It's been a blast. 50/50 riding in Northern Ontario: Lots of trail riding with the wife but prefer exploring off trail. 1-3 feet of powder. Lots of lakes and untouched logging roads.

By the end of the season, however, I noticed 4 lugs missing and a few more starting to rip. Was gonna try and get an other season out of it but keep having nightmares of loosing the track in the middle of nowhere.

Torn between getting an other cobra vs the backcountry 1.75. Would stock gearing/clutching work for the backcountry? I've read on here that the backcountry has stiffer lugs. How does it compare on/off trail?

Main concern though is durability.

What about 1 vs 2 ply? I thought 2 ply would be more durable but then read that the 9206r(2 ply) will not stand up to trail ridding. Wonder why?

The hurricane 1.75 looks like a good one. Any rumors if they'll make a 144?

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,120 Posts
The Camso 9206r is a 2 ply 2.52pitch 15x144 BackCountry 1.75 track. The 9143C is the single ply version.

Where did you read that the BackCountry 1.75 would not stand up to trail riding?

As I recall, a lot of MY15 800 Pro-X sleds went out with BackCountry X 1.75 tracks (2.86 pitch 15x120 or 137) and did not have much trouble.

The MY21 Matryx SBA 146, that are ordered with an ICE Storm 1.50 track, get a 2 ply track. I know, I have one. I am quite sure it will stand up for trail riding.

The ICE Cobra 1.6 I have on MY15 Switchback 137, has stood up to many miles of trail riding and some boondocking as well.

I suspect the damage to your Cobra 1.6 occurred off trail, when the track was spinning and encountered rocks, stumps, branches under the snow. Mine did 100 MPH on hard packed trails, it saw plenty of high speed trails, no damage to lugs.

Reactions: swamper

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Backcountry is my favorite track so far, much better than the Cobra. Wouldn't hesitate since there is no Hurricane. Haven't tried the Hurricane either yet though.

·
Registered
2020 SBA 850 144x1.6
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Saw it on sledtracks.com in the product description for the 9206R in bold letters. It says:
  • This is designed for racing and competition. It has the harder rubber compound and will NOT stand up to trail use. There is NO warranty on this track
Thought that was kind of strange

·
Registered
84 Posts
Same design and lug height as sno cross tracks so that doesn’t surprise me. Same as anything racing like

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,120 Posts
Saw it on sledtracks.com in the product description for the 9206R in bold letters. It says:
  • This is designed for racing and competition. It has the harder rubber compound and will NOT stand up to trail use. There is NO warranty on this track
Thought that was kind of strange

What is strange are 2 things:
1. There is nothing like that warning on the CAMSO web site.
2. The Product Sheet for the BackCountry 1.75 track does NOT list the "R" suffix tracks

Maybe you should go with the 9143C track shown above on their website.

·
Registered
Matryx Assault 850 and Fully Loaded Titan Beast
2,092 Posts
I have many miles on the 1.6" Cobra and last year swapped it out for a BackCountry 1.75". "NO REGRETS"
I can't say long term if the BackCountry wouldn't hold up on trail but with 1400 miles on the track it still looks great.
When trails are hard pack with very little snow lube I drop the scratchers to get some help for the sliders and track.
You don't have to change the gearing but I would recommend it if you say you hit a lot of untouched logging trails and deep snow.
I geared to 2.0 and love it.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I have had both tracks. The backcountry on a 2016 pro-x and the 1.6 on a 20 assault. Lots of off trail riding and never had a problem. Low snow trails is where these tracks come apart and then throw in the high speed. You definitely wont have the top end with the bc.

·
Registered
2020 SBA 850 144x1.6
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have had both tracks. The backcountry on a 2016 pro-x and the 1.6 on a 20 assault. Lots of off trail riding and never had a problem. Low snow trails is where these tracks come apart and then throw in the high speed. You definitely wont have the top end with the bc.
How much top do you loose with the Backcountry? why so much loss?

·
Premium Member
9,020 Posts
I have many miles on the 1.6" Cobra and last year swapped it out for a BackCountry 1.75". "NO REGRETS"
I can't say long term if the BackCountry wouldn't hold up on trail but with 1400 miles on the track it still looks great.
When trails are hard pack with very little snow lube I drop the scratchers to get some help for the sliders and track.
You don't have to change the gearing but I would recommend it if you say you hit a lot of untouched logging trails and deep snow.
I geared to 2.0 and love it.
How is the holeshot comparing the 1.6 cobra to the 1.75” Back Country?
I have a 1.6 now I use for snow drags but considering the 1.75”
My buddies have the Hurricane 1.75” on their INDYs and the holeshot is UNREAL.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
My Buddy has a 1.6 Cobra 114 real push through studs with stock Gearing but is probably 50-60 pounds lighter than me and carries probably 30 pounds less baggage than me.
My sled with the BackCountry 1.75 loaded with I-Grip screw in studs Geared to 2.0 runs side by side in multiple runs on multiple different days. Neither seems to have anything on the other.
I wouldn't call it an Apples to Apples comparison given I'm running with nearly 100 pounds of extra weight and have studding differences and different gearing.
Of course I hoped to beat him in a line up but I'm really not a line em up to race type of guy anyways. Never tried swapping sleds and running against each other that way.
When the snow gets deep I'm absolutely positive that the BackCountry is the track I want on my sled over the Cobra.

I am pretty excited for this Winter. I Snowchecked a new Matryx Assault and have a New Hurricane loaded with I-grips that I can't wait to try out. Loved the 2.0 gearing on the BackCountry so I'm gonna repeat that recipe on the new sled as well. I'm really not trying to build a straight line racer. I'm a heavy guy with lots of carried gear. I like the added deep powder experience and seat of the pants feel with the taller paddles and lower gearing. The Cobra is a very nice track. I'm not knocking it.

·
Premium Member
9,020 Posts
My Buddy has a 1.6 Cobra 114 real push through studs with stock Gearing but is probably 50-60 pounds lighter than me and carries probably 30 pounds less baggage than me.
My sled with the BackCountry 1.75 loaded with I-Grip screw in studs Geared to 2.0 runs side by side in multiple runs on multiple different days. Neither seems to have anything on the other.
I wouldn't call it an Apples to Apples comparison given I'm running with nearly 100 pounds of extra weight and have studding differences and different gearing.
Of course I hoped to beat him in a line up but I'm really not a line em up to race type of guy anyways. Never tried swapping sleds and running against each other that way.
When the snow gets deep I'm absolutely positive that the BackCountry is the track I want on my sled over the Cobra.

I am pretty excited for this Winter. I Snowchecked a new Matryx Assault and have a New Hurricane loaded with I-grips that I can't wait to try out. Loved the 2.0 gearing on the BackCountry so I'm gonna repeat that recipe on the new sled as well. I'm really not trying to build a straight line racer. I'm a heavy guy with lots of carried gear. I like the added deep powder experience and seat of the pants feel with the taller paddles and lower gearing. The Cobra is a very nice track. I'm not knocking it.
Ok thanks. If you’re 50-60lbs heavier then him and are side by side then that’s the track and gearing helping you so that.
I do a lot of racing during our rides and hookup is very important.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Ok thanks. If you’re 50-60lbs heavier then him and are side by side then that’s the track and gearing helping you so that.
I do a lot of racing during our rides and hookup is very important.
[/QUOTE

I know on hard pack I got much better traction with conventional studding over the I-Grips. I've just found that since I started trying some of the taller paddle tracks that have good support paddles for the I-Grips I prefer 90% less weight with the I-Grips instead of the nail length studs that bend on nearly every ride that I decide to venture off trail. I like the tall paddle and I-Grip combination and hope I'm just as happy if not happier with the Hurricane over the BackCountry this Winter,

·
Registered
'21 SBA 850 146
33 Posts

I also have a hurricane 175 ready to go on an 850 sba 146 - if it ever shows up. Been hearing alot of positive reviews on this track so quite curious as to how it will perform.
Seems alot of doo guys are making the switch vs the backcountry since most of the info I've read on it has been on that other site that shall not be named. Mainly ride northern MN but get to the U.P. quite a number of times along with a few trips to ID & WY. Seems to be one of more ideal tracks for the type of riding I do so we shall see.

·
Registered
2020 SBA 850 144x1.6
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm gonna order the 9143C. Thanks to everyone for the responses!

Wanna gear down to 2.0 as well if it means I can still use my stock chain. Been looking through the part diagrams to see if I can come up with a part number for 21 and 42 tooth gears. Is there a sled out there that uses them or did you buy aftermarket?

Did you have to change anything in clutches too?

Also, looking forward to hearing about everyone's experience with the Matryx once the snow flies! Looks like an awesome sled.

·
Registered
17,142 Posts
4k miles on my 2015 600 sb with 1.75x137 BC, looks almost good as new. Great allround track but on that sled its a trench digger (the sleds fault , not the track)

I'd love to try both a BC and a hurricane on my 850 SBA. Only track we had to choose from over here was the soft lugged 2" - not the optimal choice for varying conditions including hardpack and low snow. All lugs still in place but folded over quite a bit

If swapping to 2.86" drivers, the hurricane should fit fine I think , as ling as one got enough adjustment at the rear idlers..?

Reactions: Stuck Chuck

·
Registered
2020 SBA 850 144x1.6
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What design parameter of your 137 makes the sled trench with the BC?

I wonder if the BC trenches on a SBA vs the cobra 1.6. Last season, we had "dry sugary" snow. If the cobra has more flotation, I may rethink track choice.

·
Registered
17,142 Posts
steep approach angle , so the sled digs away the snow before it has any chance to get on top. And poor snow evacuation (but great cooling) from that articulating rear end. It got a little better with some suspension tweaks though.

Both my proride and axys sba's had no trouble getting on top and moving forward instead of digging down. had the 1.35" cobra on my 2011.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Top speed limitation from taller lug tracks comes mostly from the fan effect in the tunnel as speeds increase...much more than the actual lug height altho track weight starts to be a factor too.
As for lug design....the more flexible lugs work better in looser snow/sugary as they fold over and capture the snow then fling it like a slingshot effect.
Stiffer lug tracks resist folding over and dig in to harder snow and other shit like frozen dirt etc....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts