Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get some more out of my clutching. I am running a 2006 Sno Pro with a 700EFI engine stock, 020 belt, 23-40 gears, and 1.5 Freeride track. It has the 04 style clutches and is chain drive.

Currently running stock 70 grams in primary w/ a titanium spring with blue dots on it and 58-52 helix with the red/white secondary spring. Spinning about 7800 rpm with this setup. I know that there is a better setup out there. I bought a ODS kit but it's missing the springs and it came with a ODS3 helix. I want to run my Dalton Adjustables, they are 67.5 base weight. I've got a ton of clutching parts at home, springs, helixes, etc.

Anyone have a great setup for aggressive cross country and trail riding. My buddy beat me last night with his new Nytro. We were even out of the hole and he pulled steadily on me all the way up to the top.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Help guys, there's gotta be some fast setups out there. I can't stand the fact that the new Nytro pulled my me. I gotta find some more in this thing!!

Does anyone know the angle of the ODS3? I wonder how it compares to my 58-52 or my other helixes? Please feel free to PM me with any suggestions on clutching or the angle of this helix.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's got to be some good setups out there. Please help a guy out!

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Mark your primary sheaves with a marker and see if its shifting out. Try out the green cat secondary spring in the second hole.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Try running a blue and gray primary spring. Its a 140-300 rate. If you have a 58-48 or 60-50 helix they work good. Like my cats said the green spring in the secondary works good, I also like the black secondary spring. The BMP pipe mod runs good also. Try getting ahold of ODS Dan for some help also. Dakota performance kits work good.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Try running a blue and gray primary spring. Its a 140-300 rate. If you have a 58-48 or 60-50 helix they work good. Like my cats said the green spring in the secondary works good, I also like the black secondary spring. The BMP pipe mod runs good also. Try getting ahold of ODS Dan for some help also. Dakota performance kits work good.[/b]
I think I do have a 60-50 at home, I'll check. I know forsure I have a 57-50. I will also try the green secondary spring. I will probably have to load up the Dalton Adjustables with some more weight with the green spring? Maybe I'll run them at 72 grams to start.

Does anyone know the rate of the speedwerx titanium spring with the blueish dots on it?

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I'm not 100 percent positive, but I think the blue dotted spx spring is 165-300,310'ish. With it on the second hole to allow shift out, I wouldn't add any more weight, just try one thing at a time.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
My buddy is running a similar set up in an 03. Can't help ya with the weight because his is an 03 so its different but I can tell you he is running at least 3-4 grams over stock, an orange white primary, 58/52 helix, red/white in the 3rd hole. Pulls very hard to 100. 22/40 gears, 1.5" track.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
If you are a heavier guy stick with your gearing, if you are lighter you could go to 22/37 gearing. This is higher than 23/40 and lower than 24/39. Works slick. Those Nytro's are fast. How's your compression in that mill? That 1.5" track is a rototiller and that could be a detriment to your speed quest as well. The 03's have 10 tooth drivers and the 04 has nine tooth drivers so 03 spec's will not work for you. if you want to beat him you will have to gear lower and only go short lengths.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you are a heavier guy stick with your gearing, if you are lighter you could go to 22/37 gearing. This is higher than 23/40 and lower than 24/39. Works slick. Those Nytro's are fast. How's your compression in that mill? That 1.5" track is a rototiller and that could be a detriment to your speed quest as well. The 03's have 10 tooth drivers and the 04 has nine tooth drivers so 03 spec's will not work for you. if you want to beat him you will have to gear lower and only go short lengths.[/b]
I don't think I need more gearing either. I don't think I'm getting a full shift out. I have my sled parked in a buddies shop right now and I'm going to check today how high the belt got. The 1.5 is a freeride and it is a mixture of 1.5 and 1.375 lugs. He starts to pull on me early so I don't think it's the track slowing me down. I also have the 9 tooth drivers.

Hoping to try some different clutch setups to gain some speed. I'll post back and let you know what I have tried.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
I just put this setup in and it seems to pull real well.

Yellow primary - 160/290 lbs
72.5 Dalton weights

Dalton 57/52-50 helix - sno cross helix
Purple secondary spring 83/140 lbs[/b]

Do you have the EXT? Do you have reverse?

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tried a 57-50 with the green secondary spring in the 2nd hole. Still revving at 7800. Didn't seem to change it very much, if anything maybe a little less torqy in the mid. I marked the primary and I'm about 3/8 of an inch from hitting the top with both setups.

What's the best way to get a full shift? I'm thinking I should be able to get it a little higher than that. We were on perfect hardpack for almost a mile wide open.

I found out my primary spring is a 165-310 rate. Should I get rid of this maybe and try an orange/white cat spring?

I'm putting in the adjustable Daltons tomorrow. I had to get new o-rings so I couldn't do it yesterday.

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
The only way you will think about getting full shift out with that wind mill is to gear down. IF you can get the traction it will be quick out of the hole but the top speed won't really change because you had to regear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts