Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I mark the primary clutch on my 2000 600 ZL carb and go for a run. It does not close all the way still have over an inch of line left. If I loosen the secondary spring my top speed falls off, if I tighten it up the top speed climbs. I don't have a over rev everything seems normal. Run super just not much top end, goes like crazy till it tops out at about 87 mph on the GPS (still no over rev). Buds 600 ZR EFI hits about 98 on the GPS. He's about 60 pds lighter than my 300 pd bulk and a few inches shorter than my 6'5" frame. The carb model is supposed to have 5 more hp than the EFI so that doesn't explain anything.

I heard of the clutches having burrs where they slide together causeing them to not close fully. But these people also have an over rev, which I don't have. My question is seeing as how tightening the secondary picks up top speed and the fact that I'm no light weight. Would gearing down help top end in this case or is there a clutch setup that would work? Need a little more speed for the lakes.

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Originally posted by Sasquatch_77@Dec 8 2002, 10:10 AM
The carb model is supposed to have 5 more hp than the EFI so that doesn't explain anything.
Not true! 600EFI makes more HP than the carb 600, don't let anybody fool you!

If your 600 is topping out at 87MPH, something is wrong and its not just the clutching. My 01 600 pulled 107MPH stock on GPS. Make sure that there isn't something broken in the clutches, I just found a broken spring in mine that was not obvious until I took the clutch off the sled.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing is broken, as far as I can tell. The sled is only one year old as in was new begining of last winter. When I tried backing off the secondary spring one notch to see if it would bring the mileage up it slowed down 5 mph. When I brought it back to stock position it picked up the 5 mph it had lost. So I tried one more notch and picked up even more. It tops out at 100 on the speedo now. Bottom end is great as fast as the 600 EFI as in real close.

The specs from Cat say the carb has more power in 2000. My point was that even a couple of hp won't make a 11 mph difference. Its like the clutches are not shifting into overdrive and are not causing a over rev as if they where sticking. I'm going to have it out this weekend and will look at the spring on the primary but when I put it away I found nothing wrong with it. I'm going to try one more notch on the secondary to see what happens.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would have to agree with Jay..EFI does produce lil bit more horsepower..Black Magic & Goodwin..even make C kits with heavier weight because of this...me and my buddys have tried to tweek our clutches..and to be honest unless U have alot of time...its worth getting a kit instead of trying to do all the guess work yourself...oh well good luck

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has anyone had this kind of problem on a 2000 600 ZL Carb? Suggestions? I have checked the clutches no broken parts. It just seems like it runs out of top end steam. Keep thinking maybe it is geared to high to pull top end with my bulk. Any big guys run into this problem?

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Originally posted by Sasquatch_77@Dec 9 2002, 11:38 PM
Keep thinking maybe it is geared to high to pull top end with my bulk. Any big guys run into this problem?
I am "bulky" as you put it also. I have not experienced anything like this.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
is the clutching stock i got my sled new and it had the wrong cam in the sec i changed it and my sled goes alot better now had a 51 degree and it was suppost to be a 53 later

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Derrek thats something I will check.

Jay I'm about 300 pds and 6'5'' tall is what I mean by bulk. What I realy need is a 900.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
so is the helix the right # then having any luck with your sled

·
Registered
112 Posts
Depending on snow conditions, 60 lbs of weight will make LOTS of difference in top speed. I would pick up a 19 tooth top sprocket and see if that helps. They are cheap, and you can run the existing chain. What # helix are you using?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the sledding is getting good now we have a good amount of snow (about a foot). The numbers on my helix are 0648-024. It also says 55 degree- 53 degree. Still runs great except it does not shift into OD.

Checking the micro fishe the helix is the right one. Dropping the top sprocket one tooth may be the answer. Are you sure that you can still use the same chain or would one have to go to the 40 t from 39 t on the bottom which is the high altitude setup.

Sorry about the delay in posting this but Iv'e been a busy boy.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
hows your sled working dude

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It still will not top end. I'm ordering a 19T gear tonight to see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
let me know how the new gear works out later

·
Registered
54 Posts
check your jetting, if the jetting is stock then it may be too rich. I have found the best way to do this is check the amount of fuel wash on the piston next to the transfer ports.

S

·
0 Posts
yah I'd suggest the jetting, clean carbs get them serviced and set properly. Does it do the same thing on the stand or just with you on it. Did you talk your Primary clutch off? Do that and take the spring off and see if there is full movment on the clutch (opens&closes) I had a clutch where I tightened the weight bolts too much and stoped the clutch from closing properly. could be a bushing as well binding the clutch, a wieght could be stuck down or broken, could be your deflection is not set at 1 1/4 inch. could be drag in your system "bearing" see if track turns with little effort, belt off, engine off, sounds like a lot but would only take about 1 hour to check all this stuff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts