Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you guys help. I am wondering on the secondary the holes the spring goes in, how do they # them? Would #1 be the loose spring setting and #5 be the tightest spring setting? What do these holes do for you? Also I see some people are removing shims. What does that do for you and what are they for? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
93 Posts
THE SHIMS CHANGE YOUR BELT DEFLECTION, MAKES A BIG DIF TO HAVE THIS ADJUSTED RIGHT. HAD TO TAKE A THICK WASHER OUT OF MINE. THE HOLES WILL CHANGE RPM. (200 RPM PER HOLE) THAT INFORMATION IS IN YOUR OWNERS MANUAL. HOPE THAT HELPS.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Originally posted by The Outdoor Shop@Feb 17 2003, 09:48 AM
more like 75-100 rpm..if that. only shift also...not top end...maybe 25-50 there.
I lost 400rpms when I switched two holes......I was turning 8200 and dropped me down to 7800.

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Here it is in simple terms. If you add shims to the secondary, you space the sheaves out more which causes the belt to ride lower. If you take out shims your belt will ride higher. It is best to run your belt as high as possible for the best low end power. Too high and your belt will be too tight and your sled will walk.

The spring tension....looser will allow the clutch to shift slightly faster which loads the engine more and decreases rpm. Tighten it up and it will shift slower lessening the load on the engine and raising rpm.

Hope this helped.

Cat S.

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Sorry,
If you look at the belt in the secondary, it should ride just above flush. Like a 16th of an inch. This is optimum. If you go any higher the belt will be too tight and the primary will actually pull the belt hard enough that the track will want to spin even before engagement. I have mine set up to walk the track while on a stand. Better low end. Hope this helps.

Cat S.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts