Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some belt residue on both the primary and secondary sheaves, what should I use to clean them up. I've heard that parts cleaner works. Last nite I was told to use some 80 grit sandpaper. Any thoughts on the sandpaper idea, don't wanna do something that is going to cause more problems.

·
Premium Member
10,637 Posts
on the surface of clutch use a 120 grit if your worried, its only to sand off the residue...not metal.

·
Registered
80 Posts
put some acetone on a rag, and wipe it off. you might have to go over it a few times, but it should come off. you can also use laquer thinner, but finish wiping with acetone, so as to not leave an oily film.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Break cleaner and a clean rag does an awesome job. Automotive thginners works well also.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Good old hot soapy water and an air hose to dry it off with. Brake clean works well as does the other solvents, but if you have a green belly pan, you may discolor it.......tigger

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use pure rubbing alcohol and it works very well - no residue.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
I have used a Scotch Pad with Brake Kleen with great success. Use a shop rag or old towel to wipe off the residue. I squirt the Brake Kleen directly on the Scotch Pad to avoid overspray on the engine or compartment.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Dont use sandpaper....

Use Scotch Brite Pad on surfaces... Steal it from Kitchen.. :D

Uses Brake Cleaner for rebuilding clutch and cleans inside (spider) clutches by light steel brush. Easy reach into small area.

Uses Acetone on surfaces after finish riding in day.

Everyyear replace arm cam bushing and bolts.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
i use a scotch bright green scrubby thing, and regular old rubbing alcohol. and just an air hose to blow out the inside of the clutches. i wouldn't recommend sand paper

1 - 10 of 10 Posts