Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 ZR 600 EFI LE with a Black Magic twin pipe kit. The clutch uses the stock yellow/white drive spring and 50 g weights. The driven uses a purple spring and a 55/50 helix. The problem is the machine does not engage until about 6500 RPM. It still tops out about 8700 RPM. Stock engagement for this sled was about 4800 RPM.

Is it possible that the weights alone are causing the high revs? If not any theories on what to check? :huh:

·
Registered
394 Posts
the super shifter weights have notches in them, causing high engagement.
Remove the weights and grind the top of the notch a little, that will help.
Also check your clutch to see if its binding!

·
Registered
394 Posts
the super shifter weights have notches in them, causing high engagement.
Remove the weights and grind the top of the notch a little, that will help.
Also check your clutch to see if its binding!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Has is been acting this way since have done the clutching or did it just start doing this recently?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It raised the engagement some(say around 5500) when I installed the kit, the last 600 miles of last year and this year is when it started to engage at 6500

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hows the belt look? Hi engagment will narrow a belt in a hurry and raise rpms to engage have you tried a new belt?also try what trailblazer said but before I would do that throw your old weights back in and see
what happens..ps check that secondary make sure your sping is still in the right hole.Let us know what you find..

·
Registered
636 Posts
dude that 50g seams a little light for a twin pipe. my friend has a 98 zr600efi CC and its all stock other than the clutch set up he's running 52g weights with a 54-44 helix i believe he was still tinkering with it a little. its the fastest 98 600 i've ever seen gives my 2001 zr600efile clutched all it can handle.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes you have to change the chip, i think the only fuelie you can't get a chip for is the firecats, but just gime BM time and they find some junk to sell you.

As for weights they are only 1 gram heavier than stock but that's what the kit came with and everything was fine until lately. <_<

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I have a hard time undertstanding that if you added weight and kept the stock spring your engagement is that high.

I have the same sled with the BM twin pipe/EFI setup. The black magic clutch kit should have provided a black/orange spring which would raise the engagement even more. With the BM setup I engage real hard at about 5000/5200 RPM which works good in a drag race if you have traction. For trail riding or low traction I use the stock yellow/white springs and 51 gram weights to keep the engagement around 4500.

You might want to put the stock weights back in and see where it engages, it should be back to stock at that point. If not you have other clutch or belt problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts