Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got back from a great trip in Wyoming and now I'm changing my 02 ZR 600 back to a midwest sled. Went to pull the clutch off and my clutch puller bent to the point where the smooth puller part was turning into the threads. Not good. I was able to get the puller out but was unable to remove the clutch. At this point I don't know if a new puller will work with the threading that is there. I was able to screw the bolt back in and it seemed to thread ok.

Anyone ever change the spring and weights with the clutch still on the machine?

·
Premium Member
3,765 Posts
yea, i'm sure you can change the arms and spring with the clutch
still on the sled,...........but do you realy want to do it that way?????
take the clutch off,and make sure there is no damage to anything.
if that clutch is cracked, or damaged,.......and you dont know it.
i dont want to think of what could happen. :(

·
Registered
450 Posts
I agree.

Get a NEW puller, get the clutch off, and check it out.

A suggestion: Tighten the puller until it is VERY tight, then hit the end with a mallet a few times. The tighten, pund, tighten, etc.

You may have done this...but if you haven't....it helps. Just tighting it may cause bending.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have had clutches stuck like that before also. My buddy turned his clutch puller into a pretzel trying to get his primary off his ZL800. We did what Rob said about greasing the threads. What we found worked really well was packing the hole in the primary full of grease and then threaded the new clutch puller in and cranked down. The dealer we bought the clutch puller from told us to do this. I don't know exactly why, but this time it popped off without too much problem. Maybe give this a try. You will have a little grease to clean off the face of the clutch, but it seemed to help. Good luck! B)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Adding the greese, makes it like a hydraulic press when you start screwing that puller in. Also, spend the money on a good puller, the cheap ones aren't worth it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions. I did pump it pull of grease before I put in the puller, this worked well the first time when I took the clutch off to put in the different weights.

I took a closer look at changing the weights while the clutch is still on and I don't think I'd want to try it. I can get a wood clamp on to release the pressure on the weights but getting the weights and bushings on without dropping them would be difficult.

I'll try a new clutch puller and go from there. Maybe giving it a couple raps once it's tight might break it loose.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My puller that I pretzel'd is from Parts Unlimited. Where can I get a better puller from?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Spend the money on a good puller and definitely use grease at the end of puller for the hydraulic effect.

·
Registered
539 Posts
i've had 2 clutch pullers fron AC bend the same way before,tou have to make sure you torque the clutch bolt to 50-55 lbs only.also you have to remove clutch to change spring,but DO NOT have to remove to change clutch weights,if you do not have proper tools,just pry inner sheath in w/ pry bar and stick a weight over to the side of the tower to keep roller pressure off ramps and then change them it doesnt take a rocket scientist,my 15 year kid can change 3 ramps in 3 mins out on a frozen lake in 10degree temps.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I can atest that you can also change the spring without removing the clutch. The rigth block of wood to wedge between the cluth and belly pan is very helpful.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I got my new puller from ETP today. Definitly a better quality than Parts Unlimited. Wished I would have known about them sooner. Got the clutch off and everything switched back over. I think I'd still be trying to recover weight bushings from the bottom of the belly pan if I would have tried to change them without removing the clutch.

For anyone who's rapped their knuckles trying to get the clutch out of the belly take a 2 screw wood clamp and clamp tight the clutch wheels. Clutch slides right off the shaft and lifts out of the belly pan.

Not sure why this came off so hard this time. I torqued the clutch bolt to 50lbs. I'm thinking maybe I must not have clean the shaft and inside the clutch. Would a couple drops of lubricant work or would that have negative side affects?

Nice pic of the bent clutch puller, got one just like it :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've never tried it, but know a guy that is a very successful racer and he puts just a little bit of anti-sieze on the shaft, puts the primary on and gives it a spin to spread it. I think "very little" is important, but makes it alot easier taking off later.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts