Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday i was driving my dads 99 zr 700, through all the snow we got saturday, and while i was blazing a trail i could start to smell something. i little farther up it made a clunk, so i immediatly turned it off. i opened the hood and could smell the belt, which was very,very hot. i let it cool off a bit then started it up, and when the clutch engaged, the belt just sank into the secondary clutch and didn`t even turn the track (it stayed down there, and made a loud noise the whole time i was on the throttle). i again let it cool down,took the belt off and towed it home. i was running in a foot + of snow, so it was spinning a lot, is this what caused the clutch to heat more than normal, or is there a problem somewhere? should i toss that belt since it got so hot, it started to smell some awful. what should i clean the clutches with, since there was i little burnt rubber.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Pull of your secondary, sounds like your spring is broke or pooched, check that helix is not damaged. Definitely throw that belt away, clean clutch faces with acetone. Make sure you are using the proper belt and that when you install new belt it sits about 1/16 inch above the top of the sheaves when it comes to rest. If not you adjust by adding or removing the washers you will find when you dismantle secondary.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Hey green. I would have to agree. Sounds like the secondary is gone.
It only takes abour 30 minutes to replace the spring, helix and rollers on a secondary. I've done it lots on my 99.

Your local shop should have all the parts!. BUT if you are felling frisky, put in a complete clutch kit while you are at it! You will not regret it!

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
One thing though Green!!!
If you are going to do it! MAKE SURE you account for all the spacer washers and where they were. ALSO PUT and alignment mark on the secondary tower cover, and both sides of the sheaves. These things are balanced.

It's a good thing to squirt some grease on the outboard bearing of the track shaft as well. Since you have the space!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
this sled already had a clutch kit in it!!
i was taking to the towns sled mechanic ;) , and he said that this happens a lot :rolleyes: . you`ve got the track spinning, and all of a sudden you let up on the throttle, the belt is squished down in the clutch, since it didn`t have enough time to react. then when i got back on the throttle is must of burned the belt a little. i`ll be cleaning the clutch, and tossing that belt. hopefully this was my problem, if not i`ll need to look in to it again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts