Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

This just happened to me this past weekend, I have a 99 ZR 600 carbed with a clutch kit on it and while riding the weight sheared off (scaring the hell out of me) and went right through the belly pan cracking it up pretty good. Has this happened to anyone else? The spring in the primary has also been cracked. Also does anyone have any suggestions on what I can use to repair the belly pan? Some kind of appoxy? I eventually will probably replace it but I am just going to run it as is for now. Thanks!

Chad

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Contact your dealer. There was a safety recall on some AC clutches during that era. A casting problem I believe. AC may fix it all on their dime if the recall was due and never performed. Good Luck!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Your right Muskoka, there was a HUGE recall of 1999 Arctic Cats, practically the whole lineup was recalled due to a contamination of metals used in the clutch. You are pretty lucky that thing didnt blow apart and some of them pieces hit you!

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Yes a safety recall. My buds 99 ZL 600 did the same thing right through the belly. Cat paid for the whole job. You may have a problem as your clutch is not stock setup. A good dealer will help.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Everyone,

Thanks so much for everyone's feedback. From what the dealer has told me thus far this does not have anything to do with the recall becuse its a Black Magic clutch kit and that was the part that was broke along with the spring. Its not uncommon to have the springs break from the guy tells me but they are still going to check the recall to make sure that is was completed. If not they will do that for me which could cause more clutch problems in the future. So I will find out today what my options are, thanks for eveyone's response. Take Care!

Chad

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my old sled. 99 ZL500, blew right out the belly. I used a black oil container and a couple of rivets to cover the hole. That was two years ago and my buddy who I sold the sled to never noticed until I pointed it out to him.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have a 99 ZR600 and the spider broke, but the weight held on and just took a piece out of the sheave. Asked the dealer if he had heard of any problems with that model sled's clutch and he said 'not that I know of'! The recall states the sheave fails, but I have heard of many spiders failing too.

Taken from the recall bulletin-
"These 1999-model snowmobiles could have faulty drive clutches due to the use of a contaminated alloy in manufacturing. If the clutch sheave fails, broken pieces could strike consumers, causing lacerations or bruises."

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know this is a really old topic but this just happened to a 99 zr efi I a bought after about 5 miles on the trail. Pissed at dude I bought it from and really just flummoxed in general. Any ideas or help???

·
Registered
9 Posts
my son rides a 2001 zr 440 sno pro cross country eddition . last weekend clutch exploded weight broke, took a two inch piece of the clutch with it. blew out the bottom of belly pan thankfully it went doun dont even want think what could of happened. i have had sleds my whole life never saw any thing like this. good luck with getting anything from cat. clutches are a wear item.

·
Registered
9 Posts
so will it fail again if I only replace the spider assembly, cam arms, and weights??? Or do I really need to replace the whole clutch???

·
Registered
9 Posts
you can put in new spider but clutches are ballanced so you mite need to send it somewhere i had to buy new clutch

·
Registered
9 Posts
QUOTE (jh74 @ Feb 23 2010, 08:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=5215456
you can put in new spider but clutches are ballanced so you mite need to send it somewhere i had to buy new clutch[/b]

picked up a 98 clutch. I hope it will work. It might have been from an 800, but the guy I picked it up from said it should work. this way I am not just repair a clutch that will fail again. And possibly gorge me with a flying piece of alloy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts