Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pin broke and damaged the clutch. Can I machine 2 other notches to match and use it?

It’s no different then. The notch you had to do for the heel clickers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
481 Posts
When compared to a heel clicker setup you could machine all three to match but I'd be concerned if it tweaked the sheave. I'd give it a good cleaning and visual inspection. Most importantly confirm the runout is still good.

·
HCS Ambassador
2014 ZR8000lxr 19-20 mileage = 904.5
3,951 Posts
If it were mine, I'd question what broke it in the first place. That shouldn't happen and truthfully while it may work would you trust it 100miles from homebase ?

Steve

My pin broke and damaged the clutch. Can I machine 2 other notches to match and use it?

It’s no different then. The notch you had to do for the heel clickers.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it were mine, I'd question what broke it in the first place. That shouldn't happen and truthfully while it may work would you trust it 100miles from homebase ?

Steve

The pin broke. It’s common.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When compared to a heel clicker setup you could machine all three to match but I'd be concerned if it tweaked the sheave. I'd give it a good cleaning and visual inspection. Most importantly confirm the runout is still good.

I’ll give it all a good inspection. I shut it down the second it broke and did not run it. If everything seems good I’ll machine all three notches to match. As long as it’s balanced should be fine to run.

It’s exactly the same as doing the heelclicker mod.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'd say you got pretty lucky. same thing happened to my brothers 2011 CFR 800 a few years ago. The pin broke in the same spot, but it dinged up both clutches. Never did find the weight though, and he wasn't going very fast when it happened either.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd say you got pretty lucky. same thing happened to my brothers 2011 CFR 800 a few years ago. The pin broke in the same spot, but it dinged up both clutches. Never did find the weight though, and he wasn't going very fast when it happened either.

Yeah I got lucky. Could have done a lot more damage if it had bounced around.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The weight came through there and landed on the trail. I found it. Never did find the broke pin. I’ll search under the engine for it.

·
Super Moderator
36,374 Posts
Seems to be a lot of clutch issues on some sleds, if it were me I would look for a non-cast aluminum clutch like a Micro-Belmont or others, they are CNC billet aluminum, I've run 1 of those on a 314 HP drag sled for years, it's been flawless, don't take chances with a dangerous clutch type.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts