Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

First time working on a clutch, so forgive the retard in me for asking this, but is this the right spring???? :dohdoh: I was in the process of installing the D&D shift assist and Cat Orange Secondary spring - part # 0648-774, and I noticed the orange spring is quite a bit longer than the green one. Impossible to install without something to compress the spring at this difference.

Sorry again, but I didn't think this was going to be difficult. I'm hoping I picked up the wrong part. Any help would be appreciated. And yes, laughing at me is ok. I'm laughing myself. Perhaps another beer and it will fit. :yelrotflmao:

·
Registered
791 Posts
That is the correct spring...it can be a little bit of a bitch to compress. You can make a red neck compresser with threaded rod and some fender washers. Make sure you locktite everything when you reassemble.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is the correct spring...it can be a little bit of a bitch to compress. You can make a red neck compresser with threaded rod and some fender washers. Make sure you locktite everything when you reassemble.[/b]
Thanks. Just read another post detailing how to install the shift assist. I may have a long enough bolt to compress. Jesus. this is gonna have some tension! only stripped on head on the torx screws on the way out tho, so I guess I'm doing OK..

Working on dirtbikes is much easier!

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
Thanks. Just read another post detailing how to install the shift assist. I may have a long enough bolt to compress. Jesus. this is gonna have some tension! only stripped on head on the torx screws on the way out tho, so I guess I'm doing OK..

Working on dirtbikes is much easier!
[/b]
Working on anything is usually easier than sleds....

·
Registered
791 Posts
Clutches are nothing. I dred everytime I have to pull a skid frame out or put one back in. When you get it out you always find more fukt up than you initially thought.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
Clutches are nothing. I dred everytime I have to pull a skid frame out or put one back in. When you get it out you always find more fukt up than you initially thought.[/b]
Lol I just had my rear skid out today....I installed HRP brackets on my 05 M

·
Registered
791 Posts
Dont you love it when the inner shaft just spins after you struggled to extract one bolt (that you loctited the hell out of because the last time it came loose...this is when you realize thats why I didnt loctite it to start???). Frustrates the hell out of me.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Lol I just had my rear skid out today....I installed HRP brackets on my 05 M[/b]
Re valve the rear shock in the skid to 06 M crossfire valving with those brackets and move the slider on the side skid springs back 1". You will be able to trail ride that sled for miles and miles. I did 400mile and was good for more the other guys in the group needed to go to bed at 8:00.

Yes that is the right spring. If you count the coils you can see the orange spring is 5.5 and the green 3.5 but the gauge of the spring is about the same. The free hight raises the start rate and more coils gives a slower rise in spring rate as the clutch shifts up. The secondarys spring rate was riseing faster then the surface area of the belt and clutch. This spring gives a better average rate for the amount of belt area in the clutch as it shifts.

Interesting thing to think about and these springs. Look at this picture. The cat platnium spring is 100/200 tested and average rate of 77#'s there is no cat specs on this spring other than a 180#number. The Fet maroon is advertised as 160/260 but tested is 115/215 and average rate of 73#'s. The free hight is less but the 2.2 number is higher than the platnium spring. Count the coils but the average rate is higher than the maroon.

Average rate should be posted on these springs more than the start rate and finished rate. This and free hight of the spring would make tunning alot easier.

Your better off putting the adjuster in the end of the helix and putting the secondary together from the back side. IF you try to put the longer spring in with the white adjuster you will strip it fast.

Don.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
Re valve the rear shock in the skid to 06 M crossfire valving with those brackets and move the slider on the side skid springs back 1". You will be able to trail ride that sled for miles and miles. I did 400mile and was good for more the other guys in the group needed to go to bed at 8:00.

Yes that is the right spring. If you count the coils you can see the orange spring is 5.5 and the green 3.5 but the gauge of the spring is about the same. The free hight raises the start rate and more coils gives a slower rise in spring rate as the clutch shifts up. The secondarys spring rate was riseing faster then the surface area of the belt and clutch. This spring gives a better average rate for the amount of belt area in the clutch as it shifts.

Interesting thing to think about and these springs. Look at this picture. The cat platnium spring is 100/200 tested and average rate of 77#'s there is no cat specs on this spring other than a 180#number. The Fet maroon is advertised as 160/260 but tested is 115/215 and average rate of 73#'s. The free hight is less but the 2.2 number is higher than the platnium spring. Count the coils but the average rate is higher than the maroon.

Average rate should be posted on these springs more than the start rate and finished rate. This and free hight of the spring would make tunning alot easier.
Your better off putting the adjuster in the end of the helix and putting the secondary together from the back side. IF you try to put the longer spring in with the white adjuster you will strip it fast.

Don.[/b]
Don--

Thanks again for the advice, I have done both of those mods so far, but I'm going to wait until summer to revalve the shocks....I dont want to miss out of riding! But I should rebuild them to the 06 Xfire specs not 06 M specs???

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Don.[/b]
Don,

Thanks for the info! Once again, I've read one of your posts and learned a bunch. I ended up using a self-engineered "******* spring compressor" with a carriage bolt, some washers, and a pair of vice grips. Worked like a charm. I did, however, break one of the screws on the back sheave when I was trying to get it off - so off to the dealer I'll go from work before putting the secondary back on!. Thanks for all the help!

Anyone got the torque specs on those little screws? I've got them at 5.0 ft lbs with loctite.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts