Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you get a secondary off when its froze to the shaft. Are there any tricks, sprayed with pennitrating lube and will try tommarow. Its a 99 with 2000 miles. thanks for any help.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Patience, the hardest part. and a heated shop doesn't hurt.
It the seizure by rust? or frost?
Be careful, do not contaminate your sheeves with any oils, etc. extremely hard to remove and "death" to your belts.
To prevent this in the future I recommend putting a bit of synthetic grease
on the shaft. I usually just apply some by hand. Has alwas worked well.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
there is also a puller available from cat to remove a stuck clutch.
Later darren

·
Registered
128 Posts
The puller doesnt work, I know from experience :angry: . The stationary sheeve was siezed on my 97 ZR 440 for as long as we had it, we tried every fall to get it off but unsucessful. Finally this winter the drive clutch self destructed causing damage to the stationary sheeve and it HAD to be replaced. We tried heating it, beating it, putting a puller on it, pretty much eveything you can think of we did it. We finally cut the sheeve into pieces with a Sawzall (it was junk anyways) and then grinded a grove in the shaft that was seized on and split it and it came off :D Rebuilt the driven with new parts and loaded it up with never sieze and now that thing slides back n forth like a charm! :D

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
deffinatley rust, moved great last year but who knows. What problems did you have with the puller. I was able to move it about an 1/8 of an inch but have no other tool or reasonable leverage point to pull it off more ,without damaging something. Will pickle forks help or any other ideas , I really dont want to buy another clutch. I might just as well sell it and buy the new sled

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
if you can move it a little then you should just keep applying lubricant and keep moving it and eventually it will come off. Patiance is the name of the game.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I finally got it,lots of pennitrating lube. it sat outside last 2 days below zero wind chills. pulled it into the pole barn, propane torch on it and one whack on the pickle fork. Well after it was all done and putting it back together bolt snaped off..........great luck. So now I'll be trying to fix that one... oh well thanks for the help.

Dave

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the same problem..I lucked out...the moveable sheave (inner one) would move in and out...about an 1"..I took off the roller and spring. I then sprayed the clutch shaft with some penatration oil. (area was between the sheaves)..let it sit of a couple of days in a heated area...to get it off I tapped the sheave (inner) against the stationary one (outer) it came right off. Good luck...take your time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts