Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my clutch cover bushing and can't find a part number for the bushing only. All I can find is the whole cover assembly.

Anyone know if I can order the bushing only? If so, what's the part #?

Thanks

Also, if I have to replace the whole cover, how do you deal with the balancing?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Jump,

Unfortunantly, you can't purchase the bushing separate. You must buy the entire cover. The old cover will make a nice wall hanging!

As for the balancing, the covers are balanced separately, so just line up the marks, and you will be good to go.

DTR

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - that's what I thought. Luckily, I have an extra one from a different clutch.

If they're balanced separately, what's the purpose of lining up the marks? I can see if it was balanced as a system, then absolutely you would need to line the marks up. Just cusious.....

Originally posted by DTR@Oct 16 2005, 09:23 PM
Jump,

Unfortunantly, you can't purchase the bushing separate.  You must buy the entire cover.  The old cover will make a nice wall hanging!

As for the balancing, the covers are balanced separately, so just line up the marks, and you will be good to go.
DTR
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=934151
[/quote]

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Originally posted by JumpJunky@Oct 16 2005, 08:09 PM
I need to replace my clutch cover bushing and can't find a part  number for the bushing only.  All I can find is the whole cover assembly.

Anyone know if I can order the bushing only?  If so, what's the part #?

Thanks

Also, if I have to replace the whole cover, how do you deal with the balancing?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=933936
[/quote]

We always change ours. Just use a hacksaw blade to split the bushing and then pick it out. The newer sleds dont have a P/N listed for the bushing but if you search some older sleds on browns you should find one. Even better would be going to a dealer and matching it up. Finding one can be a pain, you may have to use one thats slightly shorter.

EDIT: Just had a look on browns. The p/n is 0646-262. Used on the 98's. Should work as far I know. :div20:

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
It won't work, the O.D is smaller. I have Garlock bushings (the one's Cat used to use on the old 9 post) and they won't fit the new Fcat clutch. I have to find out who the suppler of the new bushings is. :banghead:

·
Registered
482 Posts
There used to be a number floating around that I got from ZR900, but when ordered, it wasn't even close to a valid number. I have never found a bushing that will work. Some of the comet bushings are close, but not close enough. If you use a narrower one, the cover won't slide straight on the shaft, and it will bind. As we all know, binding = lost efficiency = less power. Its a pain to pay $40 for a bushing, but they kind of have us bent over a barrel.

DTR

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
That's why I would like to find out who makes these bushings for Cat now. Have to do some investigative work, LOL! :fluffy:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts