Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During this meltdown I decided to install a new clutch kit. Timing was good as Zr sled head also liquidated a few used/good primary clutches to me. After 11000miles the main bushing on my movable shiv was a tad loose. Time to scrap it. So with the two I received I made one very good one. But what about balance? I wanted to keep the lower mileage clutch together but the spider assembly was new on the other.After a call to Garland d and sons I made my mind up to balance the new assembly.Good thing I did not locktite up everything as they told me they balance each component seperately. This surprised me as I thought it was balanced as a complete assembly. Turns out this is a far superior balance than factory. The machine balanced the clutch to 1/10th of a gram. The clutch is tested as an assembly at the final stage. Turns out it was over 7 grams out at the start. That is equal to a 50lbs weight at 7000rpm stuck on the clutch. The fellow who did mine also balanced his own sleds secondary and brake rotor. Took away some annoying harmonics on his sled. Anybody else do theres?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I wouldn"t piece together a clutch. . Just bought a uncalibrated new clutch fro 209.00 hard too justify buying rebuild parts and service fro that price. I have rebuilt the spider but 8000 miles it was time for a new clutch couldn't repair it for 209.00. IMO.

·
Premium Member
12,762 Posts
Looks like money well spent to me Rick...............hope you like the new set up / suspect the engine will feel n perform better than it ever has.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Changing a spider is hardly a piece together.Anyway I would balance a new one in the future. Factory balance is iffy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts