Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out driving in some deep snow yesterday when I noticed my left leg was really warm, opened the hood and felt the heat from the sec. clutch.
Felt on it and almost burned my hand, same with the belt.. How come?

I recently swapped my orig. track to one with 1.70 cams.. Can it have something to do with that?
I'm thinking I maybe have to change the gearing?

The F7 have 65/55 gearing, maybe should try the XF 60/60 gearing?

What do you think???

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where can I get that spring?

Edit: Just got back from my local A-C dealer and he couldn't find that spring for me.
He thought that I got snow on the belt when powdering but I would have felt that..
He think that I should go with the gearing right away but he wanted $520 for it.. SICK!

Man.. What should I do....? :dunno:

Edit again: Can mention that I also have 68g weights in the primary and another spring for that, if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
What is your elevation?

The goodwin darkblue is 178/269 and work realy well with the 44/40 helix. IF you can lay your hands on the new AC orange it too is a good spring all be it will not shift up as far.

Measure off your motor plate to the inner edge of your outter sheave of the secondary. You should have 3.1"s See picture. YOu will need to take out two .060 shims from behind the secondary from the stock bar setting. IN the picture this is where stock setting is. You want to have 3.125"s or 3 and 1/8th from the motor plate where in this picture it is 3.25"s if you have a 10" secondary. Run the belt deflection tight till the belt starts to chirp at idle.

If you got snow in on the clutches you would have totaly came to a stop and revved to the moon.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Your way way off. Right now do you have a green secondary spring in there? If so you can make it live with it but you need to move that secondary in for sure. Ask any one on this site that has an 05 they will tell you that you need to try to go in to 3.1". Your belt should look like this in there. See how the outter most part of the belt in the primary is nere flush with the outter most part of the secondary?

For speed runs you sould try to take the secondary in even more to hold the belt in the 10" secondary.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I got a green secondary spring..
But, would it be any difference if I measure it with the belt removed?

Hm, to move it in, I just remove those .060 shims you were talking about?

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Yeah I got a green secondary spring..
But, would it be any difference if I measure it with the belt removed?

Hm, to move it in, I just remove those .060 shims you were talking about?[/b]

IN your case just in case the motor is placed different start with the two .060 then keep going .030 at a time. You will see and gain alot of top end speed.

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/inde...howtopic=201932

Read this.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hm.. Well, gaining top speed or not is not what I want..
All I want is the sled to be able to run in deep snow without having a clutch really hot burning belts..?

But I'll try removing some shims.......

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Below is a pic of the whole assembly. Dono is referring to item # 15. There will be several such washers behind your driven, of varying thickness. Have to try a few and experiment....with sled on a stand.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
What the deal with the 68grm weights? Are you at alititude. Sounds like your calibration is way off. If the secondary is stock, and you dropped 7 grms. in the primary it will never be able to fully upshift and will play tug o war with the belt, hence all that heat.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Dono , who did you get this rate from

The goodwin darkblue is 178/269 and work realy well with the 44/40 helix. IF you can lay your hands on the new AC orange it too is a good spring all be it will not shift up as far.

I talked to Goodwin (Craig) about this very subject - The 2004/2005 catalog rates are wrong - Actually ski doo rer springs
He sent me the blue/red and on the paperwork it said 250 - 345 - It wasnt what i thought so i called Goodwin performance

This is what i got from him

Cat green @ 2.5 170# - 1.5 303#
Cat orange @ 2.5 215# - 1.5 303#

Goodwin blue @ 2.5 210# - 1.5 305#
Blue/yellow @ 2.5 230# - 1.5 325 #

Now you go to there website under Cat clutching and the rates are different again - They changed there website the day i talked to them - And Ski doo rer measures @ 2.4 and 1.4 i think

Graig told me the Goodwin blue was as close as the Cat orange
Cat orange is backordered till 02/12/2007 last time i checked

I guess all these rates i am seeing are measured different but the 2004/2005 catalog i have is definetly wrong from Goodwin performance
Thats why the update on website

I am playing with clutching on my 2006 Crossfire 7
Weights /helix/springs

Scott

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Where can I get that spring?

Edit: Just got back from my local A-C dealer and he couldn't find that spring for me.
He thought that I got snow on the belt when powdering but I would have felt that..
He think that I should go with the gearing right away but he wanted $520 for it.. SICK!

Man.. What should I do....? :dunno:

Edit again: Can mention that I also have 68g weights in the primary and another spring for that, if that makes any difference.[/b]

Gearing is 179$ @ HP Performance
I am thinking of going to 62/58 on my Crossfire 7 - I trail ride mostly + lakes

Might have some 60/60 gearing for sale - Only 350 miles on sled - Brand new leftover
I will let you know - And changing gearing and ripping apart gearcase is a piece of cake
Scott

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What the deal with the 68grm weights? Are you at alititude. Sounds like your calibration is way off. If the secondary is stock, and you dropped 7 grms. in the primary it will never be able to fully upshift and will play tug o war with the belt, hence all that heat.[/b]
Hm, I don't know? ;)
My local dealer put the weights and the spring on when I had the sled in for service.
He claimed it would be a great "clutchkit" that would fit my type of riding.

Should I remove it and put the original weights and spring back?

Gearing is 179$ @ HP Performance
I am thinking of going to 62/58 on my Crossfire 7 - I trail ride mostly + lakes

Might have some 60/60 gearing for sale - Only 350 miles on sled - Brand new leftover
I will let you know - And changing gearing and ripping apart gearcase is a piece of cake
Scott[/b]
Hm, OK.. But if I order gearing it will be 2 sets. One for me and my buddie.
Since there is a little distance between Sweden and USA we will split the shipment costs.

Sweden sucks when it comes to aftermarket parts, and if you can find them here they have doubled the prices.. :(

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Hm, I don't know? ;)
My local dealer put the weights and the spring on when I had the sled in for service.
He claimed it would be a great "clutchkit" that would fit my type of riding.

Should I remove it and put the original weights and spring back?
Hm, OK.. But if I order gearing it will be 2 sets. One for me and my buddie.
Since there is a little distance between Sweden and USA we will split the shipment costs.

Sweden sucks when it comes to aftermarket parts, and if you can find them here they have doubled the prices.. :([/b]

What is it revving with the 68's, I'd guess its got a nasty over rev. Heck, thats not even enough weight for a F6. Try the stock weights, and see if the clutch temps come down, I bet they will.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Dono , who did you get this rate from

I talked to Goodwin (Craig) about this very subject - The 2004/2005 catalog rates are wrong - Actually ski doo rer springs
He sent me the blue/red and on the paperwork it said 250 - 345 - It wasnt what i thought so i called Goodwin performance

Now you go to there website under Cat clutching and the rates are different again - They changed there website the day i talked to them - And Ski doo rer measures @ 2.4 and 1.4 i think
Cat orange is backordered till 02/12/2007 last time i checked

I guess all these rates i am seeing are measured different but the 2004/2005 catalog i have is definetly wrong from Goodwin performance
Thats why the update on website

I am playing with clutching on my 2006 Crossfire 7
Weights /helix/springs

Scott[/b]
This was a tested rate from Further or John. I run the platnium from the T60 last year then John said to give the goodwin DarkBlue a try. It ripps.
dk blu 178 269 70 RER. These were his tested rates for 2.5 1.5.

Don.

Is there any chance that you have a yellow/green primary spring in there MagicSWE? Most of the time you can run this spring with AC recomended weights. Teh yellow/white primary needs two more grams more than stock for the 034 belt.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Dono , who did you get this rate from[/b]
Scott, I measured the goodwin dark blue RER spring last year at this rate at 2.9/1.6".

I had the cat orange advertised rate as 175/280 at 2.9/1.6", which is a little lower than the rate you show above, when recalculated for 2.5/1.5", but not much.

I wondered what was going on with the rates listed under arctic cat...cause they have a different number there than under the doo section, which is were I ordered mine from last year. I thought they spec'd new springs, but painted them the same? Apparently they changed the measurement heights...?

Anyway, on my 153" M7, the goodwin dark blue RER with 44/40 was the best secondary setup I ran (out of about 4 or 5) for holding rev's climbing and back-shift. May not be the fastest or best topend setup. Your milage may vary.

John

·
Registered
150 Posts
whats funny about that cat spring i went in two weeks ago when i was talking to don and ordered it from my dealer he called
me back the next day to tell me it was on back order till feb ..he then called back 3 days after and said i have your spring

i put the spring in last sat and went north sun and did 110 miles nice spring best one i have ran so far

also my dealer has another spring he got two in

1 - 20 of 38 Posts