Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
checking out my wifes 1998 zr 500 and it seems like there is a lot of belt deflection. tried a new belt and found the same thing, anyone have any alignment numbers that i should be checking. sled is a little boggy on its low end any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the belt already sits 1/16 of an inch out of the secondary thats why i think the motor is out of spec.

·
Premium Member
3,765 Posts
Originally posted by spnwrenchs@Jan 26 2003, 03:08 PM
the belt already sits 1/16 of an inch out of the secondary thats why i think the motor is out of spec.
that is exactly where your belt should ride. B)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know the belt is sitting where it should but there is at least 2 inches of deflection. i think the motor is not as far forward as it should be. anyone know how many inches center to center should be?

·
Premium Member
3,765 Posts
i went out an measured everything in the garage
a rough measurement is around 12'' to 12 1/2''
dont know the spec's for your sled.
are you sure you have the right belt.??
p.s. i allways use cat belts,(have good luck with em ) B)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i've tried a cat belt and a black magic belt the are the same. my measurement bertween the clutches is about 11.5 inched from the middle of the bolts on the clutches. thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
the center to center spec is 12.2". If you measure the circmference of your belt though you may find it is shorter or longer than what it should be by up to 1/8". your cluthes could be fine and your belt may be too long . if so move engine ahead to compensate for longer belt

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Some more numbers Perfect CD is 12.2 . Perfect belt 47 3/4 in spec plus or minus 3/16. Width 1 13/32. At 11.5 you have broke motor mount ,moved jackshaft bearing mount or crushed bulkhead

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
You should buy yourself an alignment tool. they a relatively cheap and will work on most Cats. It measures center to center as well as offset. As far as the belt height, you can go up to an 1/8 above the driven pulley- I've tried it and it pulls harder off line and doesn't affect any thing else. Also on my new F7, the belt rides closer to 3/16 above the pulley and it has the same center to center and offset that my older Cats have. Getting your engine lined up and the correct belt deflection really makes a huge difference in performance. Once your cat buddies find out you have an alignment tool, your phone will start ringing off the hook. I've checked at least 20 different sleds so far. Half needed an adjustment.............tigger

1 - 10 of 10 Posts