Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
20,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Hay Days announced they had to officially cancel the 2020 event, we decided to use the weekend of Hay Days for some club work. Our club (Wells Creek Riders) is located in the southeast portion of the state, near Red Wing. One of our bridges has been getting progressively worn down over the years, and last season it hit us hard (see the plywood that was added). So Saturday, we tackled the decking replacement and got it done. Feels good to see this bridge looking good again!

·
Registered
2018 XCR Switchback 800
1,851 Posts
That's a big bridge! How long is that? We are having our first Club Meeting on Monday, trail maintenance shall commence soon for us also! This is a pic of a bridge I went and looked at on Saturday - sure glad I cabled it to some trees a few years ago, just wish there were trees on both sides.....

·
Administrator
20,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a big bridge! How long is that? We are having our first Club Meeting on Monday, trail maintenance shall commence soon for us also! This is a pic of a bridge I went and looked at on Saturday - sure glad I cabled it to some trees a few years ago, just wish there were trees on both sides.....
View attachment 2106969
Oh how our club can relate to that picture! We had the same thing happen to one of our bridges back in the Spring of 2019. Good luck on getting it back in place and secured again 🍻

The bridge in the pics I posted is a 90 footer, so it was nice to have a good crew show up to help out. Hopefully others are out there doing the same & getting everything ready for this season. COVID be damned .... we're riding!!

·
Registered
2018 XCR Switchback 800
1,851 Posts
Oh how our club can relate to that picture! We had the same thing happen to one of our bridges back in the Spring of 2019. Good luck on getting it back in place and secured again 🍻

The bridge in the pics I posted is a 90 footer, so it was nice to have a good crew show up to help out. Hopefully others are out there doing the same & getting everything ready for this season. COVID be damned .... we're riding!!
Wow, 90' is LONG! That bridge in my pic floats every year, usually the groomer and a bobcat on each side of the creek can get it wiggled back into place. Banks as you can see are pretty small there so it doesn't take much to float it like that. We have a few that have gone for a ride of about a mile a couple times. NOT FUN retrieving those. Having cables on it at least keeps it close....

·
Registered
142 Posts
The first pic looks like the bridge that the riders cross to get to the pub for last call. Heading
home after a hard night of drinking and riding the gang heads across the old bridge again
at warp speed in a snow storm and the traditional continues of a unlucky sledder who takes a dip in the creek and the guys and gals just howl with laughter when they hear the cursing fellow sledder in the drink. The new bridge is well done but you forgot the new ramp.....

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
Bontz, nice work on the bridge, do you recall what your club paid for the rough sawn lumber and where you got it from ? We are going to need some rough sawn boards this fall, I am guessing it is white oak ?

·
Premium Member
2019 Pros switchback
2,435 Posts
We have one tied to trees also!
Two years ago we replaced it with old rail road bridge we found.
Leads into Elgin.
Nice work Bontz!
Will be looking forward to crossing it!!
This bridge just north of Red Wing?

·
Administrator
20,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bontz, nice work on the bridge, do you recall what your club paid for the rough sawn lumber and where you got it from ? We are going to need some rough sawn boards this fall, I am guessing it is white oak ?
I don't feel quite right giving the quote because the timber came from one of our members, who gave us a pretty good price - he owns a timber company (https://www.beeforest.net/). Depending on where you're located, he may be able to help you guys out? It was white oak, yes.

We have one tied to trees also!
Two years ago we replaced it with old rail road bridge we found.
Leads into Elgin.
Nice work Bontz!
Will be looking forward to crossing it!!
This bridge just north of Red Wing?
Hey there stranger! Actually, this is the bridge between LC and Frontenac (y) I know the groomer will be a lot happier with this bridge planking than the old one!! LOL

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
I don't feel quite right giving the quote because the timber came from one of our members, who gave us a pretty good price - he owns a timber company (https://www.beeforest.net/). Depending on where you're located, he may be able to help you guys out? It was white oak, yes.

Hey there stranger! Actually, this is the bridge between LC and Frontenac (y) I know the groomer will be a lot happier with this bridge planking than the old one!! LOL
No problem, I actually found someone very close to us, Thanks!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I love seeing pics of trail work!

Two weeks ago we got notice that a grant we applied for got approved, so it was go time. There is a great trail that I maintain, and it is about 15 miles of bush....no road crossings, no cell signal, no homes....just bush, rocks, and trees. It's rugged territory with lots of rock and exposed bedrock, and little fill material to work with.
Me and a few other guys who are retired from making money and now work for free (sometimes it even costs us😆) got ahead of the equipment operator to clear some trees, mark trouble spots, etc.
Had a decent turnout last Saturday with another 5 fellas. I'm good at working but not to good at taking pics.....will try to get some today.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts