Hardcore Sledder banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
I would be more concerned about the town managers salary than the school budget these days. Seems like there's always more than meets the eye when something doesn't seem add up, especially in small towns without much oversight.

·
Registered
2016 Expy Extreme
66 Posts
For those of you that are interested in this issue, last night I found some good info. Go to WSKI 17 Sugarloaf web site and click on weather and trail. Scroll down to update from CV selectman Llyod Cutler. It is not long but is in three parts. He touches on the issue with more info than I have found elsewhere. I hops this can be resolved. I had no idea that the Indians own 50% of the town land area. If you look at the Delorme atlas it clearly shows that they own both sides of Rt. 27 making it very hard to avoid their land.Pray for snow.

·
Registered
2016 Expy Extreme
66 Posts
"We have to assume it's primarily due to the Towns testimony against LD1628." "This in turn, could mean the loss of property taxes" This from a couple of posts ago citing the town managers news letter. Simply put (in my opinion) the town manager is opposed to the possibility of loosing revenue from property taxes from PN land. Big surprise! I would guess the PN don't send many children to public schools in CV. I recently bought a little piece of property in an unnamed town pretty close to CV. I was surprised by the tax bill on the land. I looked a little further into the towns budget and was surprised that the education budget for the perhaps 60 students the town sends to public schools was in the neighborhood of $20,000 per student. Is that high or am I out of touch? I would guess the state and federal gov. kicks in as well? My point is that many town managers seem to be driven by collecting tax revenue as there number one priority, at what overall cost to the public?
CV has 500 or so residents and the property value is around 750 million. That said the tax rate is the lowest in the state. I think we need to look further into this issue.

·
Registered
335 Posts
For those of you that are interested in this issue, last night I found some good info. Go to WSKI 17 Sugarloaf web site and click on weather and trail. Scroll down to update from CV selectman Llyod Cutler. It is not long but is in three parts. He touches on the issue with more info than I have found elsewhere. I hops this can be resolved. I had no idea that the Indians own 50% of the town land area. If you look at the Delorme atlas it clearly shows that they own both sides of Rt. 27 making it very hard to avoid their land.Pray for snow.
That was a good watch, thank you.

2nd video is most of the subject of the land being posted for anyone wanting to jump to it

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Just heard from Lexington club that the trail from their system to Kingfield is being groomed today & signed tomorrow. Good news that you can get from Bigelow Lodge to Kingfield via Lexington Highlander’s trail system!

·
Registered
335 Posts
So I can make it to Eustis from Rangeley through Kingfield ???? Y/N ?
to get from Eustis to Rangeley you take the "Landing Trail" on the backside of East Kennebago mountain. Or on the weekend you can go 89 past the mountain (I believe sections of it are active logging during the week)

Stayed in Eustis/Stratton the last few days, lots of trail closures and poorly marked re-routes, but the trail quality was great. Food at Trails End, Backstrap, Tea Pond, phenomenal

·
Registered
822 Posts
to get from Eustis to Rangeley you take the "Landing Trail" on the backside of East Kennebago mountain. Or on the weekend you can go 89 past the mountain (I believe sections of it are active logging during the week)

Stayed in Eustis/Stratton the last few days, lots of trail closures and poorly marked re-routes, but the trail quality was great. Food at Trails End, Backstrap, Tea Pond, phenomenal
The Canyon Trail needs to be groomed continuously or it's hell on your body / back. 89 should be open starting tomorrow (2/1/22) so maybe that takes a bit of traffic off R to E routing.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The Canyon Trail needs to be groomed continuously or it's hell on your body / back. 89 should be open starting tomorrow (2/1/22) so maybe that takes a bit of traffic off R to E routing.
oh really? good to hear about 89

Canyon trail yesterday clearly hadn't been touched since before saturday and then was covered with powder so you couldn't even see where the moguls were.

was a good test for my new Lynx, got a workout in for sure.
We went down the swamp trail because it didn't say closed and had signage, got halfway down it and was met with copious no trespassing signs so we turned around. Would have been a way better ride than the canyon trail

·
Registered
215 Posts
The Arnold club trails were awesome this past weekend. They even went out and groomed Saturday night during the snow storm. Sunday, the trails were awesome again. It seems like the Rangeley club didn't groom much the past two Saturday nights, neither during Snodeo weekend nor during this past Saturday night's storm. This left the canyon trail beat up all weekend on the Rangeley side. Too bad, that canyon trail is one of my favorites.

We did take a ride out to Bigelow Lodge from Stratton. Heard a report there that people were able to ride to Carabasset but the trail wasn't groomed yet.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I heard the Stratton Trail that passes from Lexington by Bigelow Lodge to Stratton is now open and was very good Saturday.

The Mountain Trail side of the valley Is still closed By the Indian dispute,

·
Registered
335 Posts
The Arnold club trails were awesome this past weekend. They even went out and groomed Saturday night during the snow storm. Sunday, the trails were awesome again. It seems like the Rangeley club didn't groom much the past two Saturday nights, neither during Snodeo weekend nor during this past Saturday night's storm. This left the canyon trail beat up all weekend on the Rangeley side. Too bad, that canyon trail is one of my favorites.
We were pleasantly surprised to be greeted by groomed trails Sunday morning. Props to the Arnold snowmobile club. Now I just gotta win some money in that raffle they're having

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Maybe some good news on the CV closures?
Channel 8 news this morning.

AUGUSTA, Maine — The push for native tribes in Maine to have the right to self-govern takes center stage in Augusta this week.

There is a series of public hearings starting Tuesday on bills that would restore sovereignty to the Wabanaki Alliance, including the Passamaquoddy Tribe, the Penobscot Nation and the Houlton Band of Maliseet Indians.
The first bill to face a hearing, LD 1626, would implement recommendations of the Task Force on Changes to the Maine Indian Claims Settlement Implementing Act, which were released in January 2020.

The bill does not address the relationship between the State of Maine and the Aroostook Band of Micmacs because that issue was specifically set aside by the task force.

Recommendations include: restructuring the procedures for addition of new land to tribal territories and eliminating time limits for the acquisition of land; eliminating the language in the Maine Implementing Act regarding takings of tribal land for public use under state law; amending state law to recognize tribal court jurisdiction over offenses committed on tribal lands by Indian defendants against non-Indian victims; adopt federal Indian law providing that tribes have exclusive jurisdiction to tax tribal members and tribal entities on their respective tribal lands and; recognize exclusive jurisdiction of tribes to regulate fishing and hunting on tribal lands.

"It is not about special rights, it is about equal rights," said Maulin Dana, Penobscot Nation Ambassador. "LD 1626 would restore the Wabanaki tribes' inherent sovereignty, which was undermined and diminished by previous legislation. When the tribes have increased opportunities and the ability to better protect our most sacred resources, it is good for all of Maine."

Hundreds of people have submitted testimony on the bill, mostly in support.

Hearings on additional bills related to the sovereignty of tribes in Maine are planned for Thursday.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Maybe some good news on the CV closures?
Channel 8 news this morning.

AUGUSTA, Maine — The push for native tribes in Maine to have the right to self-govern takes center stage in Augusta this week.

There is a series of public hearings starting Tuesday on bills that would restore sovereignty to the Wabanaki Alliance, including the Passamaquoddy Tribe, the Penobscot Nation and the Houlton Band of Maliseet Indians.
The first bill to face a hearing, LD 1626, would implement recommendations of the Task Force on Changes to the Maine Indian Claims Settlement Implementing Act, which were released in January 2020.

The bill does not address the relationship between the State of Maine and the Aroostook Band of Micmacs because that issue was specifically set aside by the task force.

Recommendations include: restructuring the procedures for addition of new land to tribal territories and eliminating time limits for the acquisition of land; eliminating the language in the Maine Implementing Act regarding takings of tribal land for public use under state law; amending state law to recognize tribal court jurisdiction over offenses committed on tribal lands by Indian defendants against non-Indian victims; adopt federal Indian law providing that tribes have exclusive jurisdiction to tax tribal members and tribal entities on their respective tribal lands and; recognize exclusive jurisdiction of tribes to regulate fishing and hunting on tribal lands.

"It is not about special rights, it is about equal rights," said Maulin Dana, Penobscot Nation Ambassador. "LD 1626 would restore the Wabanaki tribes' inherent sovereignty, which was undermined and diminished by previous legislation. When the tribes have increased opportunities and the ability to better protect our most sacred resources, it is good for all of Maine."

Hundreds of people have submitted testimony on the bill, mostly in support.

Hearings on additional bills related to the sovereignty of tribes in Maine are planned for Thursday.
will be interesting to see, if that passes, if they still hold a grudge against CV for testifying against them previously. Could certainly see it going either way

21 - 40 of 42 Posts