Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it looks pretty simple..i have never touched them before..just wanna know if there is anything special to do this?? looks like 4 bolts and it pops off?? i just wanna check it to see if they look clean or not..if they are dirty or stuck open what do u guys do to clean them off? use some sort of carb cleaner or something to clean em out??? let the fire chief know...i just dont wanna start doing it and figure out theres something i did wrong ..thanks!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anybody do this with there firecats...would like to know ..since that web site is for an old 800 motor...

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
try this,i copied it to save some time-

QUOTE (redfirecat03 @ Feb 12 2003, 09:03 AM)
Can someone direct me to the post or tell me how to do it. Can I take just the two bolts out on top and pull the whole thing out or is there more to it than that?

Exactly,take the two bigger bolts on each side out and it will slide out,you'll also have to remove the servo cover and unhook the cables.there will be a clip that slides off,and you'll be able to pull the cables out from the bottom of the holder,they slide down and out.Remove the big piece of black split loom and after you've pulled the four bigger bolts youll be able to grab both valves and pull the cables through the space between the cylinders.Spray everything down with carb cleaner and scrub the residues off,also spray through the cables,then blow all out with air and relube the cables.careful with the gaskets,also make sure to note the valve position when you remove them from the head,dished side to the bottom,piece of cake,you can use the wire wheel on the valves,just carefully

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I have used that "how to" for the 800 motor on my 2002 600. My vavles were like 2 different worlds. I had 3 allen screws to remove. The valves for 1 cylinder consisted of 4 pieces. It was like 2 mini pistons side by side that were split in half lengthwise. What a mess. I brought my valves to the dealer after I removed them so he could install the new cable he swithed the left and right and I never noticed it and scuffed a piston. Be careful!

·
Registered
79 Posts
F 5 power valves: use a 10mm boxed end wrench and a 10mm socket.(rightside) use the socket to take the rightside one off first. (Leftside) use the socket to remove the inner bolt and the wrench to remove the bolt close to the clutch ( a little tight in this area ). Make sure you only take one out at a time and pay very close attention to how they came out as they go in only one way. I took mine off the servo and work on the bench to clean them. use carb cleaner and go to town. get all the ash deposits off all surfaces including the valve shafts. I then took some marvins red oil and dripped it on to the cables at both ends. keeping the gaskets and valve body altogether work the cables in and out. Now reinstall.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Are both the APV gaskets directional? It looks like there is a cut out "UP" on both of the gaskets for each valve. One of the gaskets can only go one direction (with the "UP" up) but I don't see why or how it could possibly make a difference (you never know!) for the other one. -- Roy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts