Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you guys have talked about this before, but I'm too lazy to go back into the posts to find it. Do you need to clean the power valves, and what problem would you experience if it needed to be done. My 02 ZR500 (my husband has the F7) has been idling badly for about as long as we have been running the Free Arctic Cat junk oil in it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve keeps adjusting it, but it usually goes right back up to around 2100 rpms, but once it went down to 500. No matter how many times he adjusts it, it keeps doing the same thing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He had it up to 7500 on the jackstand and said no problem. I just thought of something that may be related. Steve and our son in law went riding in Tug Hill on Friday. SIL was on my sled (its the spare for guys with no sled of their own). He noticed that it was only running on 1 cylinder. He stopped and changed the plug, and the one that was bad had no gap left at all, and it was fine when it was installed. Please don't give me bad news. I'm going to Old Forge this weekend and the end of the season is getting near. . .

·
Registered
7 Posts
check the exaust flange gasket that goes on the head and see if there if oil around it try to tighten the bolts that hold it on and wipe the other oil off of the cylinder or where ever else it was if this dont fix it try replacing the flange gasket and the doughnut where the 2 pipes go to one

the same thing happened to my 01 zr 500

·
Premium Member
10,637 Posts
pull the pipe and check the pistons.. make sure they didn't get burnt...hope not..then get back to us.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep its the damn piston on the clutch side. The ring is broken and there's a big chunk out of the top of the piston right in front of the exhaust port. Any ideas on how this could happen??? Of all weeks too. Leaving Friday for Old Forge. Now I have to see if I can ride the guy that we share a camp with's extra sled. Gonna feel like a dork on a TWO UP POLARIS!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,637 Posts
If the cylinder is good..Then its only a 1 hour fix if that??? get a piston asap.even if you need a cylinder still an hour but way more$$$

1 - 9 of 9 Posts