Hardcore Sledder banner
141 - 160 of 221 Posts
How warm is this helmet when you are ridding in warmer temps, say around 30 degrees above zero? I am rather warm blooded and heat up fairly easily. Curious as to how it is the warmer temps.
Ive never been uncomfortably warm in it. Usually my body is too warm which can cause me to sweat but the helmet itself is pretty good.

How warm is this helmet when you are ridding in warmer temps, say around 30 degrees above zero? I am rather warm blooded and heat up fairly easily. Curious as to how it is the warmer temps.
I have an Oxygen and it's warm (too warm really). Riding buddy had one and it was too hot for him. Switched to Mission and it very happy. Seems Mission is better choice for warmer folks...

Review after 3 weekends Riding:

For those that have communicators, I had read somewhere someone used a soldering gun to melt the required speaker holes vs cutting foam. This works really well. It’s a bit concerning melting foam on a $500+ helmet but it worked great. I installed my uclears in 2 separate mission ams helmets and this technique works great. Foam melts away with the heat.

Regarding running the helmet without the rubber face gasket, it’s the first thing I removed. I hate having anything touching my face. Running the helmet with the electric shield plugged in works great without the rubber face gasket. No fogging whatsoever. It was -10F before windchill and no problems. At these temps I did get a lot of frozen condensation near the bottom of the helmet (not the shield). Not a big deal as it is nowhere near the shield impeding vision.

I did have a new uclear communicator microphone die. I only bring this up as I had initially mounted the microphones in Front of my mouth on the helmet itself. This was near all the ice I mentioned above. Maybe it’s coincidental but I just positioned the new microphones/speakers near my forehead instead out of caution. I would recommend this as the moisture certainly could not be helping.

Lastly - Sizing. For years I wore a HJC large. I needed an XL on the mission. I ended up getting the XL but ordered addition XXL cheek pads. Im not little but didn’t think I was an XXL. Maybe Covid has turned my head into an XXL. Bottom line is if you feel your cheeks are in a vice buy a size larger cheek pads afterwards.

Helmet is awesome and has no leaks. Would I buy again - Absolutely.

Another update from me on this also....

I simply wasn't ecstatic with how my Medium was fitting even after going to the Large head liner and cheek pads. I was near a dealership the other day that I had heard started carrying these helmets this winter.... so I stopped in and tried on a large to see if it fit any different than my medium with the large pads inside. It fit exactly the same...as I expected it to. So that tells me the 4 EPS sizes run like this :
1- XS & S
2- M & L
3- XL & XXL
4- 3XL
The 2 shell sizes are XS-L and XL-3xl.....

So I tried on an XL and it fit about perfectly. My cheeks were a touch tight still, but nothing like the medium was even with the large pads in it. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to be in a XL helmet....my TXIs have been mediums and most other helmets were larges.....

So I ordered a XL Carbon Fiber and it came in 2 days. In regards to the cheek pads, I'm going to ride with it as-is a couple of times as I've seen the cheek pads compress some with a couple days of riding in the first helmet. If they stay too tight, ironically the Large cheek pads are also the same ones used in the 2-XL, so I already have the next size up pads.......

Also, if anyone is interested, I have a size medium Carbon Fiber with electric shield for sale !!

Reactions: favoritos
No Problems with mine but I find them to be a cold helmet at -15C.
Is your helmet sealing up properly? Any air leaks? The coldest ride I have had with my mission was -12F and I was very comfortable and quite warm. On cold days I still find myself cracking the shield open, on days when temps are above 20F I ride all day with my shield cracked open. I guess I’m used to wearing MX style helmets.

Also, measure your head while wearing your balaclava. That is the true measurement as it pertains to helmet size.

It clicks to a closed position, so It should be sealing, although I feel cold air. My vents are closed. Not sure.
With it clicked down and vents closed you should not notice any air entering the helmet. It’s possible that you have a sealing issue.
@agentzoey -- is it hard to close fully? I've never had a helmet that I have to actually squeeze the shield / pull down with like 3 fingers to get to click / lock fully closed. If I just pull it down without squeezing it to click, like I would on my TXI helmets, it will have a small gap around the seal and will let some air in. I do this when it gets warm inside the helmet. Probably not the issue, but thought it was worth mentioning

Not sure how many of you check the replacement parts listing for these helmets, but it appears that CKX has changed direction with the current production of the Mission. They no longer have a short or long shield. Instead they are using 1 shield and now have different length breath guards to tailor the fit to your face. So be aware if you go to order a replacement or spare shield that this change may affect what you get and how it fits compared to what you have currently.

Not sure how many of you check the replacement parts listing for these helmets, but it appears that CKX has changed direction with the current production of the Mission. They no longer have a short or long shield. Instead they are using 1 shield and now have different length breath guards to tailor the fit to your face. So be aware if you go to order a replacement or spare shield that this change may affect what you get and how it fits compared to what you have currently.
Below are the part numbers with the size of helmet it comes included in. CKX appears to have a problem with stock levels right now. I needed the longer version and inquired with them they said it wouldn't be available until August. I did see that there are some on eBay if anyone needs one quickly. They are not cheap and really you should get multiple sizes included with each helmet in my opinion.

CKX Mission Breathguard - Distant fit (Short Breath guard) # 512409 (3XL)

CKX Mission Breathguard - Medium fit # 512984 (S, M, L, 2XL)

CKX Mission Breathguard - Close fit (Long breath guard) # 512983 (XS, XL)

Below are the part numbers with the size of helmet it comes included in. CKX appears to have a problem with stock levels right now. I needed the longer version and inquired with them they said it wouldn't be available until August. I did see that there are some on eBay if anyone needs one quickly. They are not cheap and really you should get multiple sizes included with each helmet in my opinion.

CKX Mission Breathguard - Distant fit (Short Breath guard) # 512409 (3XL)

CKX Mission Breathguard - Medium fit # 512984 (S, M, L, 2XL)

CKX Mission Breathguard - Close fit (Long breath guard) # 512983 (XS, XL)
And here's a link to the complete parts page:
Replacement Part
It has changed as they update the parts.... it used to show the short and long fit shields in all 3 styles (electric, clear, and smoke) but now just the 1 size for each of the 3 styles.
There were only 2 breath guards at that time also and now there are 3 with the medium fit being recently added.

Reactions: ateick
Review after 3 weekends Riding:

For those that have communicators, I had read somewhere someone used a soldering gun to melt the required speaker holes vs cutting foam. This works really well. It’s a bit concerning melting foam on a $500+ helmet but it worked great. I installed my uclears in 2 separate mission ams helmets and this technique works great. Foam melts away with the heat.

Regarding running the helmet without the rubber face gasket, it’s the first thing I removed. I hate having anything touching my face. Running the helmet with the electric shield plugged in works great without the rubber face gasket. No fogging whatsoever. It was -10F before windchill and no problems. At these temps I did get a lot of frozen condensation near the bottom of the helmet (not the shield). Not a big deal as it is nowhere near the shield impeding vision.

I did have a new uclear communicator microphone die. I only bring this up as I had initially mounted the microphones in Front of my mouth on the helmet itself. This was near all the ice I mentioned above. Maybe it’s coincidental but I just positioned the new microphones/speakers near my forehead instead out of caution. I would recommend this as the moisture certainly could not be helping.

Lastly - Sizing. For years I wore a HJC large. I needed an XL on the mission. I ended up getting the XL but ordered addition XXL cheek pads. Im not little but didn’t think I was an XXL. Maybe Covid has turned my head into an XXL. Bottom line is if you feel your cheeks are in a vice buy a size larger cheek pads afterwards.

Helmet is awesome and has no leaks. Would I buy again - Absolutely.
Do you have pictures of your installation?

I picked up a 509 modular last year and was very disappointed. It was cold and I heard a lot of track and wind noise and the visor was almost worthless because it sat so high on the helmet. Excellent information in this thread so I picked up Mission helmet today, very excited to give it a go this season. On a side note, the dealership had a Klim carbon helmet on display, I swear I have baseball hats that were heavier than that helmet, unbelievable!

Reactions: ateick
141 - 160 of 221 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.