Hardcore Sledder banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don't know if I missed it, but has anyone ran it with the breath guard off and electric shield on? Does it not fog like advertised?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think that would defeat the whole purpose of its airflow management. The breath guard is super comfortable. I don't even notice it

·
Registered
586 Posts
If I had the electric shield, I would try it without the guard. I have a regular shield and tried it without the guard in 5 degree weather and it did fog, not instantly, but over @30 miles it did started to come in from the edges.
I did change my sun shield from yellow to amber ($11) and like it much better.
I also trimmed the breath guard on the inside/bottom by the nose to get a less restrictive fit on my nose.
I am really liking this helmet

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I never wound up getting one this season but from the reviews so far, I think I'd be willing to try one out next season. Looks like a pretty good helmet and the negatives don't seem horrible at all, seems almost more like a personal fit sorta thing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought the Electric version of the Mission at the start of the season. I looked at the CKX Titan but Opted for the Mission. Here is what I liked about it. The AMS system definitely works in all kinds of riding conditions. Its most effective when you are moving as the venturi effect will suck your breath out the exhaust vent. Another thing I really like about this helmet was the sun shield. I wear glasses and it came down with plenty of room. Not one time did my glasses or sun shield ever fog up even when I blew a fuse and my RCA crapped out. It still worked with out fogging. To be fair, when that happened it was 20F degrees so I cant say it would have been the same below zero, nevertheless it functioned as advertised. I like the quick on/off chin strap. No fumbling around to get the helmet off. One thing which I would improve on is the neck curtain. Its kind of a pain when your putting the helmet on. It uses velcro and does a good job of sealing the air out but putting it on takes some getting use to. Not a deal breaker. Other than that, this Helmet has worked as advertised.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I bought the Electric version of the Mission at the start of the season. I looked at the CKX Titan but Opted for the Mission. Here is what I liked about it. The AMS system definitely works in all kinds of riding conditions. Its most effective when you are moving as the venturi effect will suck your breath out the exhaust vent. Another thing I really like about this helmet was the sun shield. I wear glasses and it came down with plenty of room. Not one time did my glasses or sun shield ever fog up even when I blew a fuse and my RCA crapped out. It still worked with out fogging. To be fair, when that happened it was 20F degrees so I cant say it would have been the same below zero, nevertheless it functioned as advertised. I like the quick on/off chin strap. No fumbling around to get the helmet off. One thing which I would improve on is the neck curtain. Its kind of a pain when your putting the helmet on. It uses velcro and does a good job of sealing the air out but putting it on takes some getting use to. Not a deal breaker. Other than that, this Helmet has worked as advertised.

Bought the same helmet and agree with everything you've said. Great helmet works as advertised.

·
Registered
28 Posts
CKX Mission Electric review. I will give the pros and cons but let me start by saying this helmet is freaking awesome and I wish I bought one at the snow show vs. this past weekend.

First let me tee this up... I am an ex-motorcycle racer and just started riding snow about 6 years ago. We only ride Canadian groomed trials and we ride FAST (hitting 100mph regularly).

First helmet was a $100 G-max snow helmet with the funny plastic bulge at the top of the shield. It worked great but looked as cheap as it was and the shield scratched beyond sight in two seasons.

Second helmet was the FXR Torque Core electric which SUCKED. 3 of us bought the same helmet and all 3 of us had air blowing in our eyes (3 different wind shields too FYI). Duck tape, balaclavas stuffed up into the neck, mods... and still air blowing RIGHT in your eyes.

Third helmet was this year at the snow show. I did all kinds of research on forums, etc. and bought the HJC CL MAX 3 electric which SUCKED. This helmet has more air leaks than a buckshot rubber raft. Seriously though... same air right to the eyes as well as lots of air over the head, etc. I was able to make it bearable by sewing a CKX chin curtain and stuffing a balaclava up into the neck.

Ahhh the Mission :). I bought it at Gregior Yamaha in Joliet QB. Between the end of year sale and the US/Canada exchange rate... I got it for $370 US including tax!! I wore it on a 3 day trip with temps from 10F with tons of snow dust to 22F with slush getting spit on me from my buddies sled i was 1 ft away from trying to pass. I am a medium with a narrow head/face and decent size nose.

Pros:

- This helmet has ZERO air leaks. There are two vents in the front, one goes to your mouth and one to your nose. Perfect if you are feeling suffocated or breathing hard.

- I could NOT fog the shield OR the drop down visor. If adjusted right... the nose/mouth piece seals around your nose and cheeks and lets NOTHING past. All the air goes out the back as advertised!

HINT - take the time to adjust the nose/mouth piece. Adjust it all the way out and ride, go all the way in and ride, go in the middle and ride and then go on notch at a time from the best spot to find your perfect adjustment to seal on your face but not pinch your nose.

- It is warm without being hot. No leaks = warm but the padding in the top works very well to keep you dry and cool despite working hard in the twisty wood trials.

- The visor has two positions and the low one is lower than any other visor I have ever used. It is almost perfectly where you put your hand to block the sun. I left it there and it is great.

- It is light and super comfy.

Cons: (let me clear, this helmet is awesome and I LOVE it so these are the little nit picky things that are not deal breakers.)

- If you open the main shield when the drop down sun visor is down... the rubber nose/mouth piece get hung up on the drop down and jams it all up. I spent an hour at the dealer with them fixing the broken flat black one I wanted. It will happen EVERY time you open the main shield and forget to first retract the sun visor BUT... if you gently pull the main down while gently moving the sun visor lever and just feel for it, it un-jams easily and regularly.

- The visor also moves to the higher position when you open the main shield. AND if you manually move the visor past the top setting (very easy to do) it pops off. Again, be gentle when going from the low to high position and its fine... also it didn't fly back/off in 3 days of 6 figure sledding so... its fine.

- The front vents have tiny little nipple actuators. You can feel them with gloves on and they work but something more substantial would be a welcomed improvement.

- As I stated you don't need it... but some head venting is always nice and would be welcome.

- Of course you are breathing into a rubber face mask and that breath is going through the sides and out the back of the helmet so... when you go in the restaurant for lunch expect water to drip out of both. It is WAY less than the Skidoo helmet that my buddy wears and constantly has frozen saliva dripping down the front of his jacket.

Hope all that detail helps. This helmet changed my life (sniff) I give it a 9 out of 10 and some of nits might be improved next season ;).

·
Registered
130 Posts
I like my Mission helmet, no fogging issues, my only gripe is how the breath box rests on my nose. I wish there was a way to slightly raise it? Also has anyone removed the breath box and just ran the electric shield?

·
Registered
586 Posts
I like my Mission helmet, no fogging issues, my only gripe is how the breath box rests on my nose. I wish there was a way to slightly raise it? Also has anyone removed the breath box and just ran the electric shield?
Try a different shield. There are two versions and the guard fits differently on each. There is a long nose and short nose version. My dealer got me a new one foe nothing.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I ordered an XL from Dennis Kirk, the electric, is that long or short nose? Also kind of expensive to try another one, unless however they just let me.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I changed nose pieces, cost me like $50, the new one doesn't shut as well, but it fits better. Also I see my previous shield had the foam glued in incorrectly. As a $250 helmet kinda guy, I'm not super pumped with my $450 helmet that came with a mis-built shield, then I had to fork out $50 more (putting me over $500) for a shield that fits my nose better, but doesn't close quite right (you have to push from up high and mess with it to get it to click shut, otherwise it pops open).

So, f me I guess?

Original shield from my xl helmet on right with the short nose piece

New shield from a s to l helmet on left with longer nose piece.

The longer nose piece allows it to sit on the bridge of your nose and cheeks rather than punch your nostrils shut.

View from the front to show the poorly glued foam on right

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I put a balaclava folded up in the upper part of the helmet and that moved the nose rubber piece up higher so my nose wouldn't get pinched off.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I probably have the long nose with the XL, the short one is probably worse?

clearly you missed my post, WITH photos 3 posts above yours...

The XL and larger has the short nose.

The L and smaller has the long nose.

The long nose reaches further up your face and doesnt pinch your nostrils shut.

I would assume you need the long nose, same as me.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts