Hardcore Sledder banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey guys, has anyone used the new CKX TRANZ 1.5 AMS MODULAR yet? I have a 509 Altitude helmet now but looking for a modular. I have sensitive skin and the KLIM Arctic Balaclava irritates my face. I know I'm allergic to latex so that might have something to do with it. If you have used the CKX, wanted to see how you like it. Does the rubber breath deflector touch your face? Is there much wind noise with this helmet? I like my 509 but need to do something about the allergic reaction I'm getting with the Balaclava.
I just got one, put 1500km on so far, helmet works great, no fogging tried both plugged in and not, both are fine. The breath box (soft rubber) fits over your mouth and nose, like a fighter pilot, as it is designed to be. No wind noise. It does fit smaller than most helmets I took a 3XL, might have been 4XL as it is snug.

·
Registered
18 Posts
After looking at a number of different Helmets, I bought an Electric CKX Mission. My experience has been very positive. I blew a fuse with my RCA plug and despite the fact I had no electricity, the helmet never fogged up and performed flawlessly. One thing to keep in mind, when you adjust the breath box it does not have to be real tight against your face. As long as you're moving, the venturi effect draws and exhaust your breath. In my opinion this is an excellent piece of kit. Yes, it comes at a price but well worth it if you can avoid a fogged face shield and or glasses while riding.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not a comment on the Mission, but related...

So I must have been on the "nice" list as my wife spoiled me with an Oxygen helmet at Christmas. I had been looking at the Mission and like the looks of it but am really happy with the Oxygen. They are $100 Cad more than Mission with electric shield. The carbon Mission is actually $100 more than Oxygen.
The Oxygen has long wind curtain and tucks into jacket well enough that no balaclava is needed. Just pull on helmet and go! Great field of vision too.
As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, it seems no helmet is perfect and what works for one person, may not for another.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Probably 250 miles on the Mission AMS (non-carbon) with electric shield. I think it is a good lid, but not perfect.

PROS:

Field of view is excellent - especially looking down.

Able to talk/eat/drink with lid on.

Saftey - I took a handlebar to the helmet chin bar area and it held up - just cracked the front vent plastic a bit.

Light weight.

Warm, but still has good ventilation.

No fogging so far.

Shields and Visor quick release/connect works well.

CONS:

Think a real quality full face is safer.

The neck curtain is kind of good and kind of in the way - removable.

The quick release buckle red pull tab started to fray right away, and the way it hit my neck it was not comfortable - tried to adjust every way I could, but maybe by then the damage was done - maybe I had it too tight, but it is supposed to be tight.

The rubber breath box was perfect at first, but then started to hit my nostrils, so I could not breathe out of my nose - not ideal - hopefully I can dial that in (with the other shield size?), so it will not be an issue.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Probably 250 miles on the Mission AMS (non-carbon) with electric shield. I think it is a good lid, but not perfect.

PROS:

Field of view is excellent - especially looking down.

Able to talk/eat/drink with lid on.

Saftey - I took a handlebar to the helmet chin bar area and it held up - just cracked the front vent plastic a bit.

Light weight.

Warm, but still has good ventilation.

No fogging so far.

Shields and Visor quick release/connect works well.

CONS:

The neck curtain is kind of good and kind of in the way - def could do without - not removable.

The quick release buckle red pull tab started to fray right away, and the way it hit my neck it was not comfortable - tried to adjust every way I could, but maybe by then the damage was done - maybe I had it too tight, but it is supposed to be tight.

The rubber breath box was perfect at first, but then started to hit my nostrils, so I could not breathe out of my nose - not ideal - hopefully I can dial that in, so it will not be an issue.

Hard to clean the shields - especially the sun visor - you have to have the front shield down to put the sun shield down, thus you can't clean the front of the sun shield - unless maybe you remove the front shield?
Thanks for the great report. I was also interested in this helmet.
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got one this year and really like it. I wear glasses and have always had problems with them fogging in full face helmets in the cold. So I've been using mx style with goggles for years, 509 with sinster goggles. I liked the setup except in really cold, seal around goggles not good enough. I looked long and hard at CKX Titan, a little less expensive. But decided to pull the trigger on the Mission. Works as advertised, time will tell if it's worth the investment. Does have great warranty.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
- you have to have the front shield down to put the sun shield down, thus you can't clean the front of the sun shield - unless maybe you remove the front shield?
Hold on a minute, you can't put the sun shield down with the main face shield up? That is horseshit, I can't tell you how many times I use my HJC sun shield with the main face shield up. It's awesome on a nice, warm spring day. That's an epic fail and just ruled this thing out for me.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You could. It would be weird because you'd have the full front open but you can flip it down. It hits the breath box a bit but you can do it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I bought a Polaris modular with all the gizmos, for a great price on clearance over the summer. Normally $320 ish. Has a ski Doo like breath guard, made out of that really soft pliable rubber, that won't saturate and freeze to your chin, has the heated shield, the drop down sun shade, and most importantly, after trying on literally 30 helmets last year, it fits right and is comfortable. Every helmet I tried had some quirk I didn't like. It also has that niffty ratchet quick release strap that is slick as a whistle. For the money, it's hard to beat. Haven't used it yet obviously, but I see no reason why it won't be good.
That Polaris helmet is made by CKX.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hey guys, has anyone used the new CKX TRANZ 1.5 AMS MODULAR yet? I have a 509 Altitude helmet now but looking for a modular. I have sensitive skin and the KLIM Arctic Balaclava irritates my face. I know I'm allergic to latex so that might have something to do with it. If you have used the CKX, wanted to see how you like it. Does the rubber breath deflector touch your face? Is there much wind noise with this helmet? I like my 509 but need to do something about the allergic reaction I'm getting with the Balaclava.
I have about 600 miles on this helmet. Yes the rubber breathe deflector touches your face. A little weird at first , but got used to it quickly. Does not freeze up like the fabric one. Not sure if the guard is latex, very soft. The AMS works extremely well. First time out,-30 C and very sunny. Ran all day with the sun shield down, no fogging. You can see the frost at the outlets on the back of the helmet. No fog even when stopped. The rubber breathe guard seals very well. Always wore 3X HJC, had to go to 4X.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
That Polaris helmet is made by CKX.
Hmm, I can see that, my buddy has some Ckx modular helmet that is very similar. I even thought to myself, that looks almost identical. The helmet I have is growing on me. I didn't like it at first. It is kinda cold, and drafty. The shield does not fog at all. Haven't even had to plug it in yet.

·
Registered
586 Posts
[/Quote]

CONS:

The neck curtain is kind of good and kind of in the way - def could do without - not removable.

The rubber breath box was perfect at first, but then started to hit my nostrils, so I could not breathe out of my nose - not ideal - hopefully I can dial that in, so it will not be an issue.

Hard to clean the shields - especially the sun visor - you have to have the front shield down to put the sun shield down, thus you can't clean the front of the sun shield - unless maybe you remove the front shield?[/QUOTE]

The neck curtain IS removable.
If the breath box does not fit correctly you may need a different shield. There is a "long" and "short" nose shield.

The shield is so easy to remove why fight trying to clean it any other way?

I have had mine for @1000 miles and like it so far. No fogging. No cord. Changed the shield to get breath guard to fit better, Supplier got me one for free. I will change the yellow sun shield out for an amber one. I just can't get used to the yellow. They are cheap--$11.00

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
You could. It would be weird because you'd have the full front open but you can flip it down. It hits the breath box a bit but you can do it.
Oh, gotcha. Sweet. That's how I ride a lot on warm days. Bad habit, but better than the old days where I would just leave the helmet at home.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Appreciate the corrections - I updated my post.

I bought the lid online - Walmart.com - anyone know how to order or get the other shield size?

No dealer near me.

Thanks!

41 - 60 of 100 Posts