Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put a pipe on and I herd two different ways to check if its right,Also They say to adjust the air screw for best response where do I start on a 01 800 xc?

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Check your plugs. If they are white you are too lean, if they are black and oil you are too rich and if they are a tan or chocolate brown you are just right.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
And start rich and work down. These newer plugs are harder to read and by the time you get a good read it might be too late!

You can also check piston wash if you have a light that will get into the spark plug hole.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
When you check the plugs do you do it under normal conditions or do you run it down a road wide open and then check them? if so should I hit the kill switch?[/b]
Do a few different throttle positions as many burndowns happen in the mid-range. Yes hold throttle and hit kill switch.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
What brand pipe ? You should have gotten jetting recomendations with it. In my experience with 800 pol motors, the hardest spot to get right is 1/4 to 1/2 throttle.They want to go lean there. I would raise the needles 1 clip and get the low and mid worked out before worrying abou the wot jetting. When I had basically a stock motor in my 800 escape I had to go to a fatter cutaway on the slides to cover up the midrange lean out,but that was with CPI twins,a single will be easier.All that being said, the ves further complicates the mid range tuneing because as they open, they change the exhaust port timeing, which requires a richer mix as well.You can change the point at which they open by changeing the springs,pol has a wide selection of these.Weaker spring = sooner opening,so if you cant get the mid rich enogh,delay the ves opening slightly,if it seems fat and sloppy in the mid and dropping the needle makes it lean,go w/less rate on the spring and use the rich needle setting.You can also get shims that allow 1/2 or less steps in the clip position.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 01 non ves 800 with SLP single,reeds,clutch kit,you say to dial in the mid and low range first,I set the needle clip in the 4th clip from the top(instructions say 4th clip I hope they start at the flat end)so to check it should I woodit off the line to 1/2 throddle and then pull the plugs and check them?Also the air adjustment is the screw in less air or more air?and if it has a little hesitation which way should I adjust it?

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
4th from the top raises the needles.This is correct.Screwing the air jet out will richen it,it increases the signal to the pilot jet,asking it for more fuel.Run it steadily at the % of throttle you are jetting for.You can look at plugs ,but wash is the only real indicator.Run it for a mile or so,cut it clean w/the switch,check wash.Do this at 1/4,1/3,1/2,and so on.When the mid is right,the main becomes easy. The main only affects 3/4 throttle and up,it does not change the mid/low.If its "gasping "off idle its probably lean.If you have to change the screw adjust ment more than 1 turn from stock,you should go back to stock and change the pilot jet.If it "blubbers" off idle its rich.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts