Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a very bad day on saterday going about 60mph across a lake and the leftside susp. came out causeing the sled to take a hard roll. bent the front shock, screwed up all the decals on the left side bent the handle bars, scuffed up heat exchanger protectors. and broke the wind sheild. I probly slid 150' on the ice watching the sled slide next to me doing barrel roles. I didn't even relate to the pain I had. All I was worried about was the sled after assesing the damage. I felt a burning in my hip I now have a softball size strawberry on my left hip. I got the sled home checked the right side bolt and it was loose too took 5 full turns to get it tight. I called my dealer . told him what happend. he said he was going to call cat to see if they would warrity it. I haven't heard back yet. The first thing he told me to do is call the insurance company. I told him I shouldn't have to for somthing that was not my fault. I also told him the reason that I bought a new sled is so I didn;t have to work on it all the time. I should not have to double check everything the should have been done right the first time. what do you guys think should cat cover this.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I take it you did NOT have the "Fire Cat Update Kit" done, which includes LONGER front suspension mounting bolts to prevent this VERY thing from happening? Did anyone even bother to let you know about this?? How bad were you hurt??? Sorry 'bout the bad news bud. -- Roy

·
Registered
614 Posts
Holy crap. You are lucky to be alive. Imagine if that would have happened on a trail. Really sorry to hear about it. If you didn't touch those suspension bolts and it's an assembly line issue, Cat should call you personally to apologize and pay for everything and more. And here, I'm stewing over my sled not running this past weekend. Take Care.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
if cat told your dealer and your dealer did not tell you i would think it would be up to your dealer to make it right ! good to hear you diden't get hurt to bad. sounds like it chould have been much worse

·
Registered
544 Posts
I glad your ok :eek: ......... yeah the updates should have been done...

i went ahead and changed the front a-arm bolts. the 4 that bolt to the bulk head. it looked like the nylock nut was not on enough.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by green-patriot@Jan 20 2003, 08:13 PM
I had a very bad day on saterday going about 60mph across a lake and the leftside susp. came out causeing the sled to take a hard roll. bent the front shock, screwed up all the decals on the left side bent the handle bars, scuffed up heat exchanger protectors. and broke the wind sheild. I probly slid 150' on the ice watching the sled slide next to me doing barrel roles. I didn't even relate to the pain I had. All I was worried about was the sled after assesing the damage. I felt a burning in my hip I now have a softball size strawberry on my left hip. I got the sled home checked the right side bolt and it was loose too took 5 full turns to get it tight. I called my dealer . told him what happend. he said he was going to call cat to see if they would warrity it. I haven't heard back yet. The first thing he told me to do is call the insurance company. I told him I shouldn't have to for somthing that was not my fault. I also told him the reason that I bought a new sled is so I didn;t have to work on it all the time. I should not have to double check everything the should have been done right the first time. what do you guys think should cat cover this.
Guys, take a look at the topic list on this forum. Look at the very first post on top,,the pinned one that's been there for about a month.. the one that says "repost-check these bolts before your next ride".. Just for fun, read it. Look at the pictures.

Why are we here on this forum if we don't heed the warnings???

If it seems I'm getting frustrated, it's because I am... :(

·
Registered
614 Posts
Good point rob. But, was that the bolt that came off on his sled, that's the question.

green-patriot

Did you get your update letter or call from your dealer? Was the bolt that came out the recall bolt?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
how come dealerships never call you to notify you of recalls? i talked to my dealer right after i bought it and he said that there was no recalls and to NOT beleive anything on the internet. so far still havent heard anything from the dealer so as far as im concerned they are 100% reliable in your case provided that they never notified you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by otterbob@Jan 20 2003, 09:46 PM
how come dealerships never call you to notify you of recalls? i talked to my dealer right after i bought it and he said that there was no recalls and to NOT beleive anything on the internet. so far still havent heard anything from the dealer so as far as im concerned they are 100% reliable in your case provided that they never notified you.
there still are no "recalls". A recall is serious business. Everything so far has been "service bullitens" and "service advisories". I haven't heard a single thing from my dealer either. Dealer isn't required to contact you for advisories and bulletins. That was originally the purpose of this website. To alert owners of potential problems. I wish it had been able to do a better job :(

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
rob you have done a great job !!!! :D if it wasent for this site i would know nothing about the problems! beacuse my dealer did not send me anything :angry: THANK YOU!!!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Check all skid frame bolts & nuts after every ride.Just imagine if this happened on a heavy wooded trail.This past weekend I rode on some very rough trails.Skid frame took some hammering to say the least.Anyway today I checked over everything & found the below items loose or gone! BTW I check my sled over after every outing.

Large axle nut,gone
Rear arm pivot bolts,loose
exhaust valve servo cam bolt,gone but replaced on trail

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
I am so glad that I found this site to help with my firecat. I read everyday all the topics and then filter out the rambling talk and bull crap, and focus on the good stuff. This site has been SO helpful , I can't even begin to describe. About the service bulletins, I will say that I am very pleased that every time one is issued, my dealer has called me and told me about it and worked with me to get things straight. I can't say enough about Brady's sales and service here in Flint, Michigan !!

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Originally posted by kodiakman76@Jan 20 2003, 10:09 PM
I will say that I am very pleased that every time one is issued, my dealer has called me and told me about it and worked with me to get things straight. I can't say enough about Brady's Sales and Service here in Flint, Michigan !!
Wow... everyone catch that name? Brady's Sales and Service in Flint, Michigan. Now THAT sounds like a dealer that cares about it's customers... not just their bottom $$$$$ line, but their customer's safety AND repeat business! -- Roy

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Originally posted by otterbob@Jan 20 2003, 09:46 PM
I talked to my dealer right after I bought it and he said that there was no recalls and to NOT believe anything on the internet.
LMAO... now THERE'S a great, trustworthy, well-informed dealer! -- Roy

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Originally posted by 02SnoPro@Jan 20 2003, 10:07 PM
Check all skid frame bolts & nuts after every ride. [clip] Anyway today I checked over everything & found the below items loose or gone! BTW I check my sled over after every outing.

Large axle nut, gone
Rear arm pivot bolts, loose
Exhaust valve servo cam bolt, gone but replaced on trail
Good advice 02SnoPro.

Were you here two weeks ago when I warned everyone to check and double check the large axle nut after I lost mine somewhere in the U.P.??? I'm sure you saw it, but just to refresh your memory, here it is again:

http://www.firecat.info/index.php?act=ST&f...&t=2376&hl=nuts

Thanks for the heads-up on the other items! -- Roy

·
Registered
165 Posts
JUST BACK FROM U.P. TOOK SLEDS TO SHOP FOR
CLEANING AND MAINT. FOUND LARGE NUT FINGER LOOSE
BUT THATS WHY YOU SERVICE YOUR SLED AFTER YOU RIDE JUST ROUTINE MAINT.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Yeah I saw the post about the axle nut.I had it torqued to factory spec.I will now go a little tighter & use blue Loctite.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Should Cat cover this? They are lucky you don't sue them! This board is a great help to many but it should not serve as a stop gap filler for Cat. To my knowledge Rob gets sweet tweet for doing this. Not everyone has access to these boards nor has everyone even heard of them. If a private individual setting up an internet board this is the best thing Cat can come up with to ensure the saftey and performance of their snowmobiles than it is a pretty sad statement. This does not simply apply to Cat but all the manufactures, as evidence by Rob's Poo section on the board. Are the difference between recalls and bulletins strictly a money issue. Personally I beleive that a dealer should call all customers for service bulletins but truth is they don't really make dick off them with the alotted time for them paid by Cat.

Sadly it comes down to money. While I beleive this board has become the the Cat bible for many (great work Rob) not everyone has a bible and we shouldn't chastize those who don't. Someone should however figure out a better way to spread the word. For now this is all we have so let's use it wisely.

Holy crap that's a little to prophetic for me. I'm getting off the box now. :blink:

·
Registered
614 Posts
My dealer is Labaron's sports in Michigan. They sent me two different letters for my updates. So far, so good.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts