Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard of a few f7s having problems with there bearings in the chain case, so I looked at my own. When I took the bearing retainer off of the drive shaft bearing it fell into 30 pieces. I only have 250 miles on it, so if you have not already done this you should check it . The bearings that you replace it with is 1620-051 and 1620-052 . Good luck\

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well one more thing to do this week, This is realy getting old, Yes I did loose both pistons and one jug, will have to wait a week for the jug.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I guess that nobody else has heard of this happining. Well I dont know any one that it has not happened to here in alaska. It normaly happens to sleds with 250 to 500 miles on them, and when it does, its a long tow home, so, I recommend at least looking at your bearings, it only takes about a half hour to look at, and will save you a great deal of heartache, on the trail

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
Could this be caused by hard hits to the drive shaft idlers? Frozen ice chunks, dirt chunks, or rocks? The idler seems more exposed than on other sleds.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know what is causing it, but I think that it is just faulty bearings, I have heard from the state rep, that there will be a recall on all bearings in the f7 and f5 in the chaincase. I have already replaced my bearings. I caught the problem before it was too bad, but mmy dealer tells me they have had alot of firecats come in that they had to order whole new chaincases, because of the bearing failure. I'm just glad that I caught mine when I did.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I was thinking......I wonder if the bad bearing in the chaincase issue has anything to due with earlier discussions of the bearing being pressed on to the drive shaft improperly/crooked causing clearances that were un-equal near the tunnel on the sides where the track comes around the driver wheels..... Hmmmmm. :(
-John

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know of 6 sleds that have had this happen to, just at my dealer. The bearings inside the chaincase are the ones that are going bad. I rode my sled this weekend and had no problems, this thing rips, and it has not left me dead on the trail yet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't even know that they were going out until I took my chaincase apart. I knew that a few sleds had already lost there bearings, so I tore it apart, when I took it apart the lower driver bearing fell into about 30 pieces. I was able to catch mine in the shop, but I have a few friends that have had theirs go out on the trail, and when they do they take out the whole chaincase. I think that it will only be a matter of time before Arctic Cat issues a service bulletin. The 03 440 snopro, has the updated bearing on the driver, so I think that Cat knew something about them already. I would recommend checking them just as a precaution. hope this helps B)

·
Registered
454 Posts
I posted in the litterbox about our sons F-5. The jackshaft bearing went bad after we went riding last week. We noticed a oil/grease spraying out on the recoil. We took it to the dealer right after we got back from Old Forge and he called and said it was the bearings, but the shaft was not damaged. We are going to pick it up Monday and head back to Old Forge Tuesday.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This bearing was something that was talked about at Race School back in November. Kirk said that during their testing they saw some failures during extremely hard riding.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Look at this blow-up. What part are you guys talking about. TIA

1 - 20 of 25 Posts