Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding around Lincoln,NH yesterday when twice my check engine light started flashing. The trails were very hard packed and temp was about 15-20F.

The first time it happened we were cruising around on tight trails at about 20mph. I told the guys I was riding with to stop but they never did. I kept going and it stopped flashing after 5 min.
I rode about 10 min, stopped for 10 min and then started riding again. About 10min later it started flashing again. I then decided I would keep going until the light was solid since the flashing is suppose to be just a warning. It then stopped flashing 4-5 mins later and never did it the rest of the day.
I also know that rob posted about some of the seizers happened when the light started flashing but I was so pissed off that it was doing it in the type riding conditions I was in I didn't care if it blew or not. Those conditions are what I,or have to, ride in so if the sled can't handle it then oh well.

My question is why is this happening?
1)The FC heat exchanger is suppose to be "oversized" so that should not be a problem
2)The sled is full of antifreeze and has been burped, the level did not drop either
3)Snow flap has been cut and has a strap on it so there is no way it was sucked in. No evidence of it being sucked in either.
4)All the other sleds riding said their themp guages were running fine.

I don't get it...there is no reason it should run hot. The only thing I would point my finger at is the cut flap, but it's the same as the reverse flap and AC sells a shorter flap. If it is the flap then that would mean I couldn't have reverse without fear of overheating?

What am I missing hear? These sleds should run just as cool as any other sled out there

·
Registered
4 Posts
Why are you going so slow? 20mph is the problem. You are asking for trouble to keep riding with the light flashing. Keep your speeds up and it shouldn't happen.. If it does them the short snowflap may be the problem. Last year a longer snowflap was one of the fixes for overheating Poos.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had no choice to go slow....
Tour group was in front of us once, trails were pretty tight in most spots and there were cops everywhere in the park so we averaged pretty slow speeds. Speed limit in the park was 25mph too.

I think I'm going to go back to the stock flap for piece of mind... even though I love spraying my friends with snow. Better safe than sorry I guess

I still don't understand why my sled was the only hot one. I had all ski-doo's with me and a Poo and they all said their gauges didn't move from where they normally are. I just don't get it. Especially when I have the large lug and the oversized exchanger. My return water should be the coolest

·
Premium Member
10,637 Posts
The light has gone on for me 3 times...2 times towing someone after about 5-10 minutes..And 1 time just slow hard pack, then just hit the fluff and went off...I think just do what it takes to shut it off...jump in the powdre if possible.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dan
that was the plan, riding in the loose stuff(no powder this weekend). I tried to stay to the side as much as possible and that's what probably shut the light off.
It just sucks though and I see no reason for it

Do you have any stock green flaps?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Let's blame it on the rider! I have owned many brands and never had one overheat. This is unexceptable that you can not ride slow. If you get caught up in traffic or have to go through towns you have to slow down. These machince must be able to be riden at these slower speeds.

Let's be reasonbale here and blame who should be blamed "CAT". They screwed up here.

Ya it's a great sled it handle like it's on rails and I've had a thousand of trouble free miles, BS. This sled needs more updates and we all know it.

We all better remember one thing, when it's time to trade these bad boys in, what are they going to be worth? Who wants to buy someone elses headache?

I know some have been trouble free and some have not but just the little things can drive you nuts.

I am not bashing the F7's but come on something is going on with these machines.

Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
10,637 Posts
I don't but so you know..The new ones come through with black letters..way better..I can drop ship if you need one.. But anyway on your problem...I also think the front heat exchanger will be improved to help this out.. Its a "live with it" kinda thing...But not as bad as it seems.. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by joejoe@Jan 26 2003, 06:16 PM
Let's blame it on the rider! I have owned many brands and never had one overheat. This is unexceptable that you can not ride slow. If you get caught up in traffic or have to go through towns you have to slow down. These machince must be able to be riden at these slower speeds.

Let's be reasonbale here and blame who should be blamed "CAT". They screwed up here.

Ya it's a great sled it handle like it's on rails and I've had a thousand of trouble free miles, BS. This sled needs more updates and we all know it.

We all better remember one thing, when it's time to trade these bad boys in, what are they going to be worth? Who wants to buy someone elses headache?

I know some have been trouble free and some have not but just the little things can drive you nuts.

I am not bashing the F7's but come on something is going on with these machines.

Just my opinion.
Joejoe, remember he has his flap cut off.. That is not Cat's fault.
Apples to apples, OK?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Flap to short. not good enough. The reverse flap is the same size. Mine got all chewed up the first time out, and can't even buy a new one. Back ordered.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by The Outdoor Shop@Jan 26 2003, 06:20 PM
I don't but so you know..The new ones come through with black letters..way better..I can drop ship if you need one.. But anyway on your problem...I also think the front heat exchanger will be improved to help this out.. Its a "live with it" kinda thing...But not as bad as it seems.. :)
yeah that's how I feel now "live with it". I can deal with it..the positives still out weigh the negatives on this sled. I will give alittle to have this kind of raw power...I love it
I'll just try to run in the loose until if or when they do soemthing about it.

Is the new flap the same as the old slock one or is it shorter like the reverse?

·
Registered
676 Posts
How are you guys going to spring ride when there is not so much deep snow to run off into? Ya I like the power to.

Just a thought!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by joejoe@Jan 26 2003, 06:41 PM
How are you guys going to spring ride when there is not so much deep snow to run off into?  Ya I like the power to.

Just a thought!
I don't know? This is part of the reason I'm asking this question now

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have a feeling that you won't see anything from cat on this. They will just sweep it under the carpet. Your covered for one year then too bad.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
Originally posted by AC F7@Jan 26 2003, 05:01 PM
I was riding around Lincoln,NH yesterday when twice my check engine light started flashing. The trails were very hard packed and temp was about 15-20F.

The first time it happened we were cruising around on tight trails at about 20mph. I told the guys I was riding with to stop but they never did. I kept going and it stopped flashing after 5 min.
I rode about 10 min, stopped for 10 min and then started riding again. About 10min later it started flashing again. I then decided I would keep going until the light was solid since the flashing is suppose to be just a warning. It then stopped flashing 4-5 mins later and never did it the rest of the day.
I also know that rob posted about some of the seizers happened when the light started flashing but I was so pissed off that it was doing it in the type riding conditions I was in I didn't care if it blew or not. Those conditions are what I,or have to, ride in so if the sled can't handle it then oh well.

My question is why is this happening?
1)The FC heat exchanger is suppose to be "oversized" so that should not be a problem
2)The sled is full of antifreeze and has been burped, the level did not drop either
3)Snow flap has been cut and has a strap on it so there is no way it was sucked in. No evidence of it being sucked in either.
4)All the other sleds riding said their themp guages were running fine.

I don't get it...there is no reason it should run hot. The only thing I would point my finger at is the cut flap, but it's the same as the reverse flap and AC sells a shorter flap. If it is the flap then that would mean I couldn't have reverse without fear of overheating?

What am I missing hear? These sleds should run just as cool as any other sled out there
What's with the cut snowflap? Too spray your buds? Your kidding......right?

The snowflap is engineered to be an intrinsic part of the cooling system. Get the standard flap back on the sled! Enough of my lecture.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by joejoe@Jan 26 2003, 06:27 PM
Flap to short. not good enough. The reverse flap is the same size. Mine got all chewed up the first time out, and can't even buy a new one. Back ordered.
If you cut the flap, it is going to heat sooner!

How in the hell is it Cat's fault if you cut your flap off and it heats???

My F7 doesn't heat. I'n getting tired of all the whining around here :angry:
Whine, whine, whine. You sound like a bunch of old ladies <_<

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by joejoe@Jan 26 2003, 07:22 PM
Rob,

Does Cat sell a short flap for reverse?
I honestly don't know.

But even if they do, it may be very different than the cutoff one we are discussing.

If you cut off a flap it is not Cat's fault if you overheat. Now stop whining. :p

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What's with the cut snowflap? Too spray your buds? Your kidding......right?[/b]
I cut it because after I saw that AC was using a short flap with the reverse kits I figured I'd be ok. I didn't like the looks of the stock one and was also weary of it getting sucked up too.
Spraying my buds was just a bonus

·
Registered
676 Posts
Is there not a "how to section" that has a how to tip on trimming your snow flap. I guess it's not a good tip.

Yes Cat sell a short flap for reverse. When my got mine chewed up and I could not replace it because they are on B/O, the dealer tried to sell me a short one (for reverse) but I don't like short flap.

I Cat sell a flap for reverse and it is shorter then the full length I do not see the difference of cutting his. There is nothing in the manual that says if you have a reverse flap it could cause engine damage do to overheating.

I am not whining about it I am just stating the facts. You could be right and he has cut his flap to high but if it is the same length as the reverse flap sold by the manufacture then you are wrong.

You are entitled to your opinion and this is mine.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Rob, below is a post from another topic. This is what I am talking about. Sooner or later we have to slow down and go through town or somewhere when we have to reduce our speed for a period of time. It's not the fact that he has cut his flap. It would be nice not to have to worry about these little things!

My dealer sold 30 F7's. Not one has had a problem, and we have plenty of snow to play in here in the Northeast.

My check engine light has come on one time flashing. We were riding back through town on only lightly snow covered streets, looking for a restaurant. As soon as it came on, I shut the sled off. Waited about 5 min, and then started it back up. Light was still blinking. Crossed the street and found some snow, light went right out and stayed out. There were three F7's in our group. The lights came on at about the same time and went off at the same time.

I hope Cat helps all of you guys that are having these problems.

440 miles so far....its all good.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts