Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a couple different posts on this but wanted to make one post that someone who has the same problem can find using the search feature. One that has a solution to the check engine light blinking three times in a series then eventually going solid

The problem

Running on powder engine was not overheating
Sled ran fine. No misses nothing...
Light came on orange'ish blinking in a series of three
When sled idled the light would go out.

Solution: The air sensor connection is either loose or needs cleaned or you have a bad sensor. According to Cat these very rarely go bad so it's probably your connection.

The sensor wires are blue and black and run into the air box directly below the ECU. There are two 8" sections of wire that plug into the main harness. Clean these connections and make sure they are secure.

Worked for me...:D

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I hope that the connection truly is your problem.

For some reason or another, I thought that when the light flashed 3 times, it was a code for the servo motor? Can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope that the connection truly is your problem.

For some reason or another, I thought that when the light flashed 3 times, it was a code for the servo motor? Can anyone confirm this?[/b]
Right out of the book at the Cat Dealers.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds confirmed.[/b]
Half to laugh, cleaning and reconnecting the boots got rid of the 3 blinks. Now, it blinks constantly which is over heating. I suspect that my sensor is bad.. Hope I can find one in stock.. :pinch:

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
It sounds like you're having one of "those" days, ya know, you fix one thing, then another thing happens-I hope this constant flashing problem does indeed turn out to be your sensor.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sounds like you're having one of "those" days, ya know, you fix one thing, then another thing happens-I hope this constant flashing problem does indeed turn out to be your sensor.

Good luck![/b]
Considering some of the other options I hope it's just the sensor as well...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Considering some of the other options I hope it's just the sensor as well...[/b]
I'm having the same issue with an 03 F5 and two of my buddies are also having the same problem on an 03 and an 04 F7. Seems to be quite common.
So what is the latest dvarmit, have you confirmed the actual fix yet?
Thanks for the info!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Happens on my '03 F7 everytime I ride in the powder. I have taken the connections apart and cleaned them out, dried them, etc., etc., put some grease that the dealer had given me on wires, reconnected them and I get the same result the very next time I get into the powder. Been doing this since I bought the thing. Have even changed complete wiring harness and all wiring to see if that made any difference, NOPE!! I guess I will just keep playing in the powder until someone comes up with a cure all for this one! I figure as long as she ain't overheating, LET 'ER EAT!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same issue with an 03 F5 and two of my buddies are also having the same problem on an 03 and an 04 F7. Seems to be quite common.
So what is the latest dvarmit, have you confirmed the actual fix yet?
Thanks for the info!![/b]
I rode my 03' F7 for 6 hours straight, then the light started blinking. It wont blink when it idles, but as soon as i hit the throttle it does it again. I shut it off immediatly and opened my hood thinking it was warm. Ten minutes later i started the sled and drove off. I only rode for one mile after that to myhouse. The light never came back on. Do you think it will come on again? I checked my coolant and its full. Thanks for the help......

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, this is what I did and it hasn't happened since or at least it hasn't come on like it was before. Apparently, cleaning the air temp sensor wires worked for some others and I thought it worked for me but nope..

I replaced the:

Air Temp Sensor
Thermostat (it was sticking and did need replaced)
Installed the 04 Coolant upgrade kit
and replaced all the coolant hoses (one of the coolant hoses was weak and was collapsing)

Now, I haven't had the light come on like it did since. It did come on however after I got caught in a tight spot and used my reverse about 4-5 times. Back and forth, back and forth. Hell, I should have just lifted the ass end around and been done with it. Other than this little foobar it hasn't come on...

So, as far as this post is concerned I think I got this problem fixed. I do have another thread going to see if others have their light come on intermittently like mine did after the reverse deal I just described.

·
Registered
137 Posts
i have constant flashing that wont go away and the engine was running like junk(dealer said that the ecu has sent the motor into limp mode) checked it over found that my secondary rubbed through the servo motor and shorted the wires out sooo i think im going to have to replace the servo motor, its going to the dealer this week to get properly diagnosed

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have constant flashing that wont go away and the engine was running like junk(dealer said that the ecu has sent the motor into limp mode) checked it over found that my secondary rubbed through the servo motor and shorted the wires out sooo i think im going to have to replace the servo motor, its going to the dealer this week to get properly diagnosed[/b]
That was the odd part with mine. It ran like it wanted more.. Never even hiccupped! Good luck and I hope you get back on the snow quick!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts