Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what problems might set this light off? Mine kept coming on and so I would shut it down and wait a minute and then after I took off the light would go away. Can this light be set off by riding on an icy trail with not much loose snow or would that only set off the temp. light. I was riding on these conditions today and I'm not sure if that's all it would be.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
If you are on a F7 the check engine light comes on when it gets too hot, if you are on a F5 it means something is wrong with the exhaust pipe sensor.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an F7. So since I was on a bit of an icy trail with not much loose snow it was probably just overheating. I thought there was a temperature light for that. My wife's F5 never had the check engine light come on and we were on the same trip. What's with that?

·
Registered
534 Posts
First time out I rode on 40 to 50% snirt and low snow conditions. NEVER once had the check engine light go on. The temperature was near 30 degrees, very low snow conditions, no problem.

Last time out, had the SES light go on and the sled reduced performance until I shut it down to take a break and let the engine cool down. The sled was in 24 degree weather on hard pack freshly groomed trails with little loose snow, but had plenty of snow. . . enough for this not to happen. What was the difference?

In the second case, BOTH times . . . my snowflap was sucked into my track and that caused the heat exchanger to be covered. The rear heat exchanger on the F7 is HUGE. If it gets covered by your snow flap, you will find that your sled will overheat. For this reason check your snowflap when your experiencing overheating. Chances are the flap was obstructing your heat exchanger. I have a nice ripped up snow flap as a testimony to this. (That's what 156 studs will do to them.)

SOLUTION: use a strap (like the sno-pro's have) to secure your snow flap to the bumper. This will keep the flap where it belongs and your sled should not overheat again.

·
Registered
84 Posts
there is a thing called the owners manual that came with the sled . it explains eveything in that book , i can't belive no one reads these things .

·
Registered
152 Posts
Can someone tell me if the idiot lights on the speedo are suppose to light up when you first start the sled? Mine do not, and if I remember right they did not on my ZR either.

Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
69 Posts
No the lights should not light up on start up. I think Cat quit this practice in the mid 90's.

·
Registered
720 Posts
If the SES light is blinking a pattern. Such as 5 times and then 3 or whatever, record the number of flashes. The pattern of the light flash is actually a service code for a possible problem. Although, it may just be the overheating condition. If the light stays on, not flashing, shut the sled off immediately.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Greenrider,
As far as the "check engine" light goes, it will flash constantly when it reaches 176 degrees and stay solid when it reaches 200 degrees. If it gets higher then the temp light comes on you are in danger of overheating, better shut down or look for snow. I had this last weekend and my mechanic printed something out for me. I think it came from the manual. Of course, my problem wasn't really lack of snow as much as my friggin' flap kept getting sucked up! But as someone said a little earlier, there are also sequence "codes" 3 flashes, 5 flashes you have to be careful of.

Hey datsbad, why don't we help eachother here instead of insulting eachother. That's why I read this forum in the first place.

SeymourF7

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks SeymourF7. I haven't had the snowflap problem yet but my light was blinking because of the trail conditions. The light never stayed on, it only blinked. I pulled over for a minute and then things would be fine again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
your light has two jobs one as a overheat light the other a display for trouble codes, they both are distinct. if it flashes steady no pause and series you are being warned that your near overheating. if it stays on steady your overheated and need to shut down immediately. if it flashes once then a short puase and gives a series of flashes and repeats your being told of a sensor failure. a airtemp sensor and coolant temp sensor and tps sensor ect ect. this tells you the owner to take it to the shop. the machine is in a limp home mode and is running 10% richer to avoid engine damage. this info is in your manual and is described in detail in the 2003 performance manual available at your local dealer.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Just try to stay in nice snow conditions if you can. I also added Water Wetter to my coolant! No lights in a whooping 81 miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts