Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My light went on 30 miles after my updates were performed. I now have a total of 195 miles on the sled. Dealer found the problem....a hose was loose near the gas tank that attaches to the air intake. This was obviously a flaw at the factory but Polaris refused to pay the warranty claim. When I got home I started the engine and the engine check light went on again and I immediately took back to the dealer. They put the sled on the computer and an error code surfaced that was not even related to the sled. They were able to get the light to shut down and did say that they have been having difficulties with many of the Polaris sleds and false readings. I also checked my oil level and found that I had approximately 14 ounces of extra oil plus my air filter was soiled from oil. Looks like the gas in the oil is a chronic problem and that the updates did not fix. I developed this excess oil in 85 total miles.

I hate to be a constant complainer, but have little confidence in my FST. I have been to various dealers four times to fix fouled plugs twice, air in the cooling system which caused an over heating and now the check engine issue. In addition, I have had to trailer my sled twice for updates, traveling 360 miles each time. And now I have gas in my oil. Hard to have much confidence in this sled and certainly with Polaris. I am ready to sell, but to whom???

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
7,048 Posts
What kind of conditions were you riding in. Snow depth, trail speed, air temperature, engine temperature. etc.

I am a little baffled by a Trouble Code that does not come from a snowmobile. I would be concerned about the tools/technicians that have been working on the sled. The hose coming off not being eligible for warranty is also strange.

Are you following the correct procedure when checking the oil level?

·
Registered
357 Posts
My light went on 30 miles after my updates were performed. I now have a total of 195 miles on the sled. Dealer found the problem....a hose was loose near the gas tank that attaches to the air intake. This was obviously a flaw at the factory but Polaris refused to pay the warranty claim. When I got home I started the engine and the engine check light went on again and I immediately took back to the dealer. They put the sled on the computer and an error code surfaced that was not even related to the sled. They were able to get the light to shut down and did say that they have been having difficulties with many of the Polaris sleds and false readings. I also checked my oil level and found that I had approximately 14 ounces of extra oil plus my air filter was soiled from oil. Looks like the gas in the oil is a chronic problem and that the updates did not fix. I developed this excess oil in 85 total miles.

I hate to be a constant complainer, but have little confidence in my FST. I have been to various dealers four times to fix fouled plugs twice, air in the cooling system which caused an over heating and now the check engine issue. In addition, I have had to trailer my sled twice for updates, traveling 360 miles each time. And now I have gas in my oil. Hard to have much confidence in this sled and certainly with Polaris. I am ready to sell, but to whom???[/b]

I would also question the dealer on this...error code that was not "sled related"....is stupid. Of course it is sled related or it wouldn't have triggered. Either they didn't fix what caused it to go the first time, or it was something else that send this code. And when a code goes off, and it is under warrantee, you should have taken this right to customer relations if as you indicate that the warrantee did not cover the hose connection. What the heck is that??? You bought a sled and it is covered by a warrantee, and only things that should not be are things YOU did to it, or are obvious wear related things.

If what you say is true, I think it might be time to find a different dealer. If a dealer doesn't do what he is supposed to do, then how are you EVER going to warm up to a sled that doesn't work right??? Not going to happen. Get a backbone and start discussing this with the dealer. It is his job to get it right.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Smokeless1, first of all, I am at a great disadvantage due to my physical location. There are very few FST sleds sold out here in Idaho/Washington as most sledders favor mountain sleds with longer tracks, therefore dealers are not all that familar with the issues. I am now on my third dealer and trailered my sled 355 miles to my Seattle home to gain access to a qualified Polaris dealer. The dealer that is 15 miles from my cabin at Priest Lake will not even give me the time of day, let alone work on the sled. He is simply fed up with Polaris and all the RMK900 crank issues plus he claims Polaris stiffed him for my started gear update. The dealer in Spokane, 90 miles away, is inept, which was proven, so he is out. I am slowly wearing out my welcome, dealer by dealer and am just happy to find a dealer that will work on my sled. Dealer number 3 seems to be competent and has been a Polaris dealer for many years. I will definitely be calling polaris first thing on Monday and have also prepared a strong letter to Mr. Tiller expressing my frustrations. Not much else I can do and one thing I am not is a pussy cat or a person to fabricate the situation. On my second year and have only been able to get in two rides.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Smokeless1, first of all, I am at a great disadvantage due to my physical location. There are very few FST sleds sold out here in Idaho/Washington as most sledders favor mountain sleds with longer tracks, therefore dealers are not all that familar with the issues. I am now on my third dealer and trailered my sled 355 miles to my Seattle home to gain access to a qualified Polaris dealer. The dealer that is 15 miles from my cabin at Priest Lake will not even give me the time of day, let alone work on the sled. He is simply fed up with Polaris and all the RMK900 crank issues plus he claims Polaris stiffed him for my started gear update. The dealer in Spokane, 90 miles away, is inept, which was proven, so he is out. I am slowly wearing out my welcome, dealer by dealer and am just happy to find a dealer that will work on my sled. Dealer number 3 seems to be competent and has been a Polaris dealer for many years. I will definitely be calling polaris first thing on Monday and have also prepared a strong letter to Mr. Tiller expressing my frustrations. Not much else I can do and one thing I am not is a pussy cat or a person to fabricate the situation. On my second year and have only been able to get in two rides.[/b]
WOW, that is simply wrong! I feel for you eddie.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The exact same thing happened to me after I had only the reflash done - 25 miles in to it, the CEL went on flashing. I brought it back to the dealer Thursday and they have yet to get to it to tell me what they found. I have less than 60 miles on and been back 5 times to the dealer.

I called Polaris customer service and they could not tell me anything beyond "our tech support will work with the dealer to get your machine running". I told them that I want them to take this 06 back and give me an 07 "we have no provisions for that in our warranty". I said then make my 06 an 07 by adding all the changes to it. " I can't tell you what tech suport is going to approve, there are several service bulletins on this model and your machine has a couple more to have done to it". I said my dealer spoke to tech support and they told him none of the updates that were pending for my machine would fix the problem. " Our tech support would not have said that" was his response.

I asked why the dealers were allowed to sell these 06 models in late February/March last year when Polaris already knew the problems they were having. He played it to me that like it was just my machine that had problems! He could not tell me what tech support would approve to fix and it ended up being a gigantic waste of time, though I did vent strongly and the fact that I have problems is in their system now....I guess.... I told customer service that my Polaris experience has left me feeling digusted, depressed, and like I've been had. He asked why I had called the line instead of telling the dealer. I told him that the dealer told me to call because he can't get anywhere himself and that Polaris approves what he will be able to charge back to them. He said " I don't understand"

So, I call my dealer right after this and he tells me he just got off the phone with Polaris about my machine and he was even more pissed off then I was about thier lack of response and inability it seems to do the right thing for us 06 buyers. He was fuming!

My dealer has agreed to replace my thermostat with 180F on his nickel, but I'm not sure if that is going to do it. He also does not believe the oil restrictor is a good idea so he's not installing that yet.

Overall, I should have bought another brand is the message I'm getting, except now $10k in to it, I've been had, duped, and screwed and don't have anything for my money. If the thermostat does it and all is well, I'll go quietly and move forward with a decent machine. If the 180F thermo doesn't do it or any of the other updates , then what?

I just want a reliable machine that I can ride without constant issues and failures. I'll even pay $10k for a machine like that! Am I going to watch the second riding season go by with this machine and still be unable to get even a 100 miles on it??!!

I can't seem to stop the phrase "class action lawsuit" from repeating in my head......

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
7,048 Posts
keetna,

I keep this little bit on my PC desktop:

ALL FST's have the coolant restrictor 5135328 installed from the factory.[/b]
The dealer second-guessing about the oil cooler sleeve, gives me a clue as to why he is not having sucess in getting the sled running properly.

Another clue is that Digital Wrench has not been hooked up to your sled, to identify the cause of the Chech Engine Light, and get parts ordered before the weekend. It is hard to blame that on Polaris.

·
Registered
18 Posts
There are a couple of fault codes that while "not valid" for the FST, seem to appear occasionally and turn on the check engine light. The FST ECU software was derived from an automobile, and without proper cleanup you can imagine what kinds of codes (not snowmobile related) are possible.

·
Registered
31 Posts
ExcusionPSD,

If they all come with the oil restrictor, why is that part of the update? Just curious if I'm getting this straight.

Your are right about the dealer and the reason why I didn't get my sled back this weekend, but what about everything else that has gone wrong from day 1? What do you think I can blame Polaris for?!

Polaris is a company in a downward spiral and they obviously don't care about saving themselves or they would be jumping on this like stink on chit. I'm just the stupid chump who didn't find out before he bought - now what? When dealer is just as pissed as me, I get worried, very worried.

I'm looking for a lawyer this week to at least start the ball rolling.

Anybody else want in?

·
Registered
143 Posts
If they all come with the oil restrictor, why is that part of the update? Just curious if I'm getting this straight.[/b]
They did all come with an oil restrictor. The update is a restrictor that goes inside the factor installed restrictor. The mechanic at my dealership was suprised to see the stock restrictor when he put the update one in. He told me that the update restrictor fit inside of the factory installed one.

I really feel sorry for all of you that seem to have bad dealers. I have had nothing but great service for my FST from my dealer. All of the updates were done as soon as they could do them, and if I have any questions, they have gone out of their way to answer them for me, no matter if it is dealing with Polaris directly, the Polaris race department, or SLP (you always need more power, right?).

I guess this really suprises me as I have the only FST (Switchback or otherwise) that they have sold or seen. They keep an oil change kit in stock just for me, and when I get it they get another one in stock so it is always ready. I guess that this is an advantage of having a "smaller" dealer. My sled runs great. And the only problem that I have had has been my fault: I tried to put on a handlebar riser without doing a throttle cable extension. It was too tight and messed up the throttle switches. My bad.

·
Registered
952 Posts
ExcusionPSD,

If they all come with the oil restrictor, why is that part of the update? Just curious if I'm getting this straight.[/b]
I think he was refering to ALL MY07's have the restrictor from factory, which leads to the fact that your 06 should have it installed (part of free updates) contrary to what your dealer is telling you.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm looking for a lawyer this week to at least start the ball rolling.

Anybody else want in?[/b]

Well, there is strength in numbers. But remember, if you have followed this board for the last year it is pretty well documented that some dealers are having issues with the manufacturer, and have internal issues which we know nothing of. Also there are simply lots of dealers who don't care and are lawnmower sales shops and couldn't do it right if they had to, so there is no chance you are going to get things fixed right because if they don't know what to do, how can they. Some dealers are very dedicated and take it all seriously. Unfortunately, these are not everywhere and can be far away from where you live or ride. But you should always be able to fall back on the technical assistance of the manufacturer as they do have roving trouble shooters who can, if last resort come and get a handle on it. Of course these sleds are supposed to be computer diagnosable. But sometimes that won't work. I think that probably is rare but is obviously possible and that is when Polaris should send a tech to trouble shoot it down.

The procedure to follow is this: Take the sled to the dealer and tell him you are documenting each and every time you take the sled in. (Then do that...with notebook and pen.) If you take it in more than 3 times for the same issues, then you call Polaris and tell them it is time to get with this dealer to get a tech out to get it fixed. I don't care if you live in Montana, or timbucktoo....call them and tell them you are unhappy and can't ride the sled. If they refuse to do it there is lemon laws that pertain to this and can be applied to these situations where the factory will have to take the sled back and either give you a new one or buy it back so you can go buy a more reliable sled.

If the problem is wide spread and doesnot get addressed, then there is always class action which will bring focus to this and a judge will decide if it is warranted or not. Not my first choice but it is an option after all other efforts have failed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm not thinking about my dealer, I'm thinking about Polaris Corporate. My dealer is more frustrated then I am. He's really starting to give a hoot now that's it's getting ridiculous. He's seen the sled 5 times, same problem ( it won't run more than 10- 20 miles without an issue). Polaris has been called 3 times on the customer service line. I spoke with someone else up the ladder beyond the first interface from the customer service number also. Since FEB '06. NO WORTHY RESPONSE YET.

Is that enough?

I certainly got the impression from this board that the problem is widespread - am I mis-interpreting something? Eastreich is the only happy one I've heard of. Maybe everybody expects to work constantly on a $10k sled before you can even get 60 miles on it, but I don't. Besides, even if it does get running well this season, what about next year? What about the next 8500 miles after this season if I get to ride at all this season? The response from Polaris and the problems so far with this engine does not build confidence in the future of this motor.

i've already received a few personal messages from those wanting in on a legal remedy. I do not believe I am alone with these thoughts.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Keetna

I can surely understand your frustrations. Nothing like laying that kind of bread out and not being able to use your sled. I had those very same type issues with a pair of RX-1's on 04.

I have a few questions tho. Playing devils adv. Why does Polaris tech say "you have some updates needed to be done yet" on your sled? If you are going to sue, the first thing I would tell the judge if I were Polaris is, "not all the updates were done, and they should have been to resolve this issue...." Judge throws case out....!

If the updates have not been done, why?? These updates on the 2006 sleds have been ready to install since September.

Secondly Why is the dealer refusing to do the oil restrictor?? What's up with that??

I don't know, but it sounds very much like you have a dealer who for whatever reason right now, is not happy with Polaris and simply is doing guess work as to what to do and what not to do, and since he says he got stiffed on some warrantee pay, maybe HE is more of your problem than POLARIS is.

Don't get me wrong, here, I am on your side. A dead sled is a useless sled. But you have to find the real problem before you can fix it and maybe it ain't the sled, and maybe you have a dealer who has a feud going with Polaris and YOU are in the middle of it.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Smokeless,

I appreciate the advice. My machine only has the reflash done on it.

The rest of the updates are getting done this week, but he is hesistant on the oil restrictor. Perhaps, if he gets with Polaris Tech support they will explain it to him so that he is comfortable doing it. But tech support told the dealer that none of the updates would help.

Isn't the oil restrictor just a bandaid anyway for an engine that does not allow the oil to get hot enough? Seems like a work around instead of doing the right thing.

I'll get my sled next weekend with all the updates (the oil restrictor MAY be an exception), and then I guess the only thing I can do is see how long it will be before it's back in the shop.

I must say, I never have had such a horrific consumer/customer experience like this for anything else I've ever bought....or such an expensive one. There is a chance for Polaris to redeem themselves, but if it's not an incredibly excellent and timely response, they are done.

Polaris should have stopped selling these sleds a long time ago, and told the dealers to send them back. I think a judge would find the timing of what they knew when an interesting issue.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
A class action suit will get you nowhere!

these are the people you need to talk to. http://www.yourlemonlawrights.com/

They have an extensive relationship with Polaris from the 2005 Fusions.

have at it boys!! $10K for a trailer-queen that strands you out in the woods is not right or tolerable!!

I give this firm a "Thumbs-up" they got me taken care of in very short order!!

·
Registered
357 Posts
A class action suit will get you nowhere!

these are the people you need to talk to. http://www.yourlemonlawrights.com/

They have an extensive relationship with Polaris from the 2005 Fusions.

have at it boys!! $10K for a trailer-queen that strands you out in the woods is not right or tolerable!!

I give this firm a "Thumbs-up" they got me taken care of in very short order!![/b]

That website is just a feeder to a bunch of lawyers. Like finding a dentist on one of the those feeder services.

Keep records.

Document your attempts to get this resolved and tell the dealer to tell Polaris you will be suing if this doesn't get resolved. Squeeky wheels get oil first.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Smokeless,

I appreciate the advice. My machine only has the reflash done on it.

The rest of the updates are getting done this week, but he is hesistant on the oil restrictor. Perhaps, if he gets with Polaris Tech support they will explain it to him so that he is comfortable doing it. But tech support told the dealer that none of the updates would help.

Isn't the oil restrictor just a bandaid anyway for an engine that does not allow the oil to get hot enough? Seems like a work around instead of doing the right thing.

I'll get my sled next weekend with all the updates (the oil restrictor MAY be an exception), and then I guess the only thing I can do is see how long it will be before it's back in the shop.

I must say, I never have had such a horrific consumer/customer experience like this for anything else I've ever bought....or such an expensive one. There is a chance for Polaris to redeem themselves, but if it's not an incredibly excellent and timely response, they are done.

Polaris should have stopped selling these sleds a long time ago, and told the dealers to send them back. I think a judge would find the timing of what they knew when an interesting issue.[/b]

I cannot understand why your dealer is resisting manufacturer specified and paid for updates. You need them ALL before you have any attempt at any beef with Polaris. I've had some issues but i've never been unable to ride my sled when it snows.....which it hasn't this year yet. And are you saying that your dealer was told by Polaris Tech's that the updates won't help?? I'm sorry but none of this is making any sense. Something is up between Polaris and your dealer and you are caught in the middle. It almost seems like he's in some type of "situation" with Polaris and that he's not going to get reimbursed for any service work he performs on your Polaris sled. Could this be the case? What other reason would he have not to do the updates? If your sled will not run what rationale is he using to say he won't do the updates? I've seen the oil sleeve put in and i can tell you that it would take me about 10 minutes to do and i'm no "wrench". I feel your pain though, i ended up switching to a new dealer and so far i couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The only updates he is hesitating on is the oil restrictor, I had the reflash done before the latest issue. The rest are being done and if he gets a good response from tech support he wil probably do the oil restrictor.

He most definitely told me that Polaris told him the updates would not help solve my problem. He may have been talking about the racing folks not tech support - I'll ask. He seems to be in good standing with Polaris. After they told him the updates won't solve my issues he agreed to swap the Thermostat, as that made a lot of sense to him. He's doing the Thermostat change on his dollar and they are a big Polaris dealer up here. He's been trying to get Polaris to approve extras for my troubles, like a shock revalve or something. I don't think he is any sort of "situation' with Polaris. They are a reputable dealer, as far as I know.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.