Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
Right now shit. Anything south of Pickle Lake, ON basically has no snow (or no good RIDEABLE snow) IMO.

Check this link out: ONT snow map and you can make your own decision.

Basically, purple is good. Less than purple and there will likely be rock bashing.

I'm sure some guys will come on here any say that 4" in enough to ride but not in my book and I would hate to see you drive 12 or 15 hrs for crappy conditions. Good luck. :beer:

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Right now shit. Anything south of Pickle Lake, ON basically has no snow (or no good RIDEABLE snow) IMO.

Check this link out: ONT snow map and you can make your own decision.

Basically, purple is good. Less than purple and there will likely be rock bashing.

I'm sure some guys will come on here any say that 4" in enough to ride but not in my book and I would hate to see you drive 12 or 15 hrs for crappy conditions. Good luck. :beer:[/b]
Dunno what you're talking about. I just got back from a 200mile trip in Chapleau just now. We hit the Game Preserve and took the Racine Turnoff at Racine Lake and drove about 10km passed that and it's all white trails. We have a buddy with a camp in Copperfield township up there and we drove all the way to his place, all over all the lakes, and ice fished our brains out. Not only was there over a foot of snow with a SOLID hard packed base (we could barely even drive over last trips ruts with the big trucks and 4x4) but we got an addional 3-8" last night depending on where you were, 8" up there, more like another 3-4" in town itself. The lakes up there have 8+ inches of SOLID blue ice. Shwing!

(all taken THIS morning)

If you're not sure how to nav the game preserve pm me and I'll give directions. It's exactly mile marker 22 and there's enough hard pack and NO sand\salt\rocks and powder you could even drive from there and just keep going. He decided to drive to his camp (and struggle the whole way in 4x4) because his sled was being "finicky" and we didn't want to risk it breaking down. Once unloaded it was nothing but 70mph the whole time lol :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
Man we all need some cold weather and snow. That don't look like 12" to me but hey if there is then great.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
GFTN,

Have thet grommed any trails yet?

Joe[/b]
Not near town the groomers are not out yet. I'm not sure about north of town. I'll be on the OFSC trails directly in town (starting behind the aux trois moulins hotel) tomorrow morning heading up to St Clair for some big pike fishing, I'll let you know how the trails look then. People are driving on the trails around town here, although myself I've been doing almost all my miles at racine and up (22km north of town in the game preserve) since ALL the roads\trails\loggin access\etc are driveable and what not, it's a winter wonderland and won't be going away, it's here to stay 100%. If I see the guy running the club here I'll ask when the groomers will be out near town.

Man we all need some cold weather and snow. That don't look like 12" to me but hey if there is then great.[/b]
It doesn't look like 12" because we're driving ontop of a good 6" base and then the rest ontop of that. It's here and here to stay hehe :beerchug:

EDIT: Sorry didn't mean to say a 6" solid base, the base is probably about 4" of packed and then the other 8" up is semi packed mixed with new powder we got. It's still a foot of snow before you hit the ground but it's good solid snow due to the heating then deepfreezing other the past 2 weeks, the fresh powder we got was "cold snow" so it was very big flakes in crystals so I'm sure they'll end up dusting down to less than what they are now but that has no effect on it's rideability. Sorry about the mis-quote lol!

PS TWN is wrong for some reason, they've been saying -8deg and what not but my temp gauge in the truck and on the house AND at the camp all have been consistently -16 to -20 (celcius) for days now. Thanks TWN, can't even get the actuals right lol

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Is there any ice on racine yet? Enough for a sled and portable hut?[/b]
There is definitely ice on racine, I haven't drilled it yet to test it however here's what I do know. We had a real cruddy start to winter, almost no snow, but lot's of cold weather, then rain, then cold, then rain, then supercold. This all tended to made awesome ice because there was no snow barrier to make slush. It's been consistently WELL below zero for weeks now and lately it's been in the -20's during the nights and -10's to -15's in the day (celcius of course). We were on copperfield lake and a ton of other lakes north of racine lake on the game preserve roads and they all had 8"+ thick ice. But not just ice, REAL ice, it was (once the snow scraped off) polished smooth and blackish\blue clear stuff for the full 8". No slush, no air bubbles, no layers, nothing weak. We had the sleds on it without issue and without even thinking twice about it. I don't see how racine would be different but like I said I haven't drilled it yet. I am going to be hitting some lakes closer to town (closer than racine is) tomorrow afternoon so if those lakes are the same thickness then I'm assuming since lakes north and south are strong enough that racine would be too. I'll update you tomorrow on that.

GuyFromTheNorth thank you for that report. We are going to make our decision on 1/2/06 but in sounds like
I'll be getting that preserve info! Thanks again![/b]
No problem, pm me if you want the info, I'll try and GPS the turns for you when I go back up in a day or two so you can find em easy enough. If you want them right now I can give you typed instructions (it's only a couple turns) and maybe draw up a map in paint or something. :div20:

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I'll post up the verbal directions for those parties interested since we all so desperately need rideable snow and I got some :)

To get to where I was riding:

Come into town through the only road and go up over the bypass that goes over the train tracks. Immediately at the bottom of the bypass make the VERY FIRST right (you'll see the beer store), it's a short strip, not even a half a block long and there's a yeild sign, turn right again. This will head towards the Aux Trois Moulins hotel (a great place to stay too). Keep following the main road you are on, the moulins will pass by on the right, then you'll pass Mars' repair shop\gas station, keep driving. You'll pass the sawmill (seen on the left) and the ski hill on the right. Keep following the road you are on. It will keep driving and turn into the game preserve. Just keep following this (watchout for hauling trucks, they are logging actively in here), it's normally plowed and cleated\sanded. It will wind through the preserve, you'll see some mile markers and signs, one of which will be the Austin Road sign, this shows up about halfway to racine so you'll know you're on the right road. The racine turnoff is very visible, it's roughly at mile marker 22 give or take and it's clearly marked as "RACINE" and it'll be a RIGHT handed turn.

From here if you want you can do what I did the other day which was park on the side of the turn (there's room, they use it on and off for heavy equipment when needed) and unload the machines and go. They have plowed the road since I last did this but the hardpack is enough to still ride on fine, I don't know if they will sand it though. IF you can't ride from here due to sanding (totally up to the cutting companies discretion, this is NOT an MTO controlled road) take the racine turn off and keep driving. After only a few miles it'll come up to a T (drive slowly, it sneaks up on you if you're not ready). Here you can unload if you want and there's a trail directly in front of you, I haven't riden it but lot's of people have since I have seen a well used sled track going into it. Personally I'd keep going, at the T turn LEFT and start driving, I can't remember the mile marker (I'll get it next time I'm up) but it's close to another 10km so maybe mile marker 30? At any rate this will be easily visible, you'll see the road you are on will fork, the right side of the fork will be plowed, the left side of the fork is UN-plowed, you will know it's the fork because the left side has a YIELD sign for traffic coming back towards you. Here is where you can unload for sure and ride ride ride. That road goes on and on. My friend has his trapline and camp up that way, you'll cross a nice bridge which exits the game preserve and continues on to a whole road system with chains of roads, trails, lakes, cutovers, that seems endless (seriously) and none of it is plowed, almost none of it is even broken in since the new fluff we got. You could spend days in this system and not cover more than 20% of the roads I'm sure.

hth, like I said I'll try and get some GPS co-ords but if not those instructions should get you there if you drift by.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
GuyFromTheNorth when your out tomorrow let me know if we could possibly do a loop to Hearst or Timmins?
Thanks[/b]
I'll see how it looks but since winters been so patchy I have no idea what the trail system would be like up that way. In chapleau alone there's a big difference in snow close to town and snow 50km north on the game preserve. I'll let you guys know how the trails behind the moulins is when I go ice fish st clair tomorrow but I don't think I could say how a loop that big would be considering how patchy this winter is. :beerchug:

·
Registered
277 Posts
does wawa have snow then or just the chapleau/deubraville?.......im assuming if you guys got snow then wawa has it to. Everyone says id neaver miss wawa when i left but ive missed it every day since.....gods country

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
does wawa have snow then or just the chapleau/deubraville?.......im assuming if you guys got snow then wawa has it to. Everyone says id neaver miss wawa when i left but ive missed it every day since.....gods country[/b]
I'm not sure what wawa has, it's usually getting hammered with lake effect snow more so than us, we usually get their loose change lol. But with that lake effect there's the downside which is also heating\rain systems from the lake too so maybe they aren't as good, I'm not sure, since it's so greatly affected by the lake like the Sault is I'd ask someone from there for a confirmation on snow. Like I said the snow in Chapleau alone varies by quite a few inches just going from town to 20-30km north on the preserve. :celebrating:

·
Registered
42 Posts
how far from toronto

i may be in for a trip next week just hope it doesnt snow or my customers will freak on me for not being here for snow and ice control.. ah what the hell il send out the wife to do the route...

frank

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
how far from toronto

i may be in for a trip next week just hope it doesnt snow or my customers will freak on me for not being here for snow and ice control.. ah what the hell il send out the wife to do the route...
frank[/b]
432miles (not KM's, miles, I just measured Barrie to Chapleau on my GPS program, so however far you are from Barrie in your part of the GTA +432miles). I guess it depends on how desperate you are to ride. It's definitely rideable but another good couple snows and I'm sure they'll be grooming the actual trails around here (and surrounding areas timmins, cochrane, hearst, wawa, etc) and make for an even better trip. If you wanna just ride to ride and hit some great ice fishing then by all means the area I mentioned is like it's own sled park right now lol. If it changes or for some reason snow comes\goes I'll let you guys know in here, I don't see us losing ANYTHING though since it's currently -20deg C out and even if we went above 0 it wouldn't melt much, heck it'd prolly just pack down what we have even better lol. :beerchug:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.