Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i am very new to snowmobiling and purchased a sled at the end of last year at a very good bargain. ITs a 1999 600 xc with 2200 miles on it. the guy that i bought it from siad that i should changed the chain case oil
any know how to do that? i would liek to try and save moeny and not bring it in to do that

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
It's real easy. Underneath the chaincase there is a hole cut out of the bellypan. There you can acess the drain plug. I think you will need an allen wrench to get it out.Unscrew the plug and thats it. then add your new fluid where the dipstick is. :div20:

·
Registered
43,794 Posts
Be very carefull when removing that threaded allen plug....sometimes they are in pretty tight, and its very easy to strip the allen wrench out. Other than that these sleds take roughly 8 oz. of your favorite chaincase oil.

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
Originally posted by Too Slow@Sep 20 2005, 05:05 PM
Be very carefull when removing that threaded allen plug....sometimes they are in pretty tight, and its very easy to strip the allen wrench out. Other than that these sleds take roughly 8 oz. of your favorite chaincase oil.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=884082
[/quote]
I'll agree on that. My buddy stripped his last winter. :doh:

·
Registered
633 Posts
Originally posted by Too Slow@Sep 20 2005, 05:05 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=884082
[/quote]

Whats the best way to get them out after doing this.....mine is in this state as we speak! I tried an easy out but it does not go into the plug far enough to grab decent.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Originally posted by 311Hemi@Sep 23 2005, 04:32 PM
Whats the best way to get them out after doing this.....mine is in this state as we speak!  I tried an easy out but it does not go into the plug far enough to grab decent.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=889025
[/quote]
I got the same problem :doh: .....Help!!!

I was thinking heat, but the bellypan is so close it might melt a little :doh: ....Help!!!

·
Registered
43,794 Posts
I've found tipping the sled on its side and drilling the center of the pulg for the biggest easy out that can be used works all the time. You need to find a long enough easy out to reach. Seems these plugs are good for two oil changes before the wrench will strip out....I can't understand why Polaris can use a regular hex nut type drain plug.

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
Originally posted by 311Hemi@Sep 23 2005, 04:32 PM
Whats the best way to get them out after doing this.....mine is in this state as we speak!  I tried an easy out but it does not go into the plug far enough to grab decent.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=889025
[/quote]
Drill a hole in the center of the plug. Then try the easy out. That worked for me on my buddys sled last year. Like too slow said it's alot easier with the sled on it's side.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I had one locked up cound not get out. I just pulled chain case cover off. Have some rags. you be supprised how much crud in there. after that i pulled covers off both my sleds and cleaned . Its easy

·
Registered
153 Posts
alittle bit of heat works good...then take the next size up allen key whether its metric of american and tap it in good with a hammer...that works for me cause i strip the frigin things all the time...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts