Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had to change a belt yet. I got a new Belt that has a 1 year warentee so i thought i would throw it on but i couldnt spread the sheaves apart. How do you do this cuz if i push in and turn clockwise it wont move. It wont even move in when i push it. I just slid it over and rolled it on but now my defelction is way,way off i can almost touch the belt together in the middle. WTF is wrong?

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
If you start the sled and spin the track the belt should ride up to its proper spot.

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
Check to make sure it's the proper size belt. Take some measurements and compare to the original.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its something like duramax 2 or ultramax 2 , something like that.should i just take it to my dealer and have my presaseon checkup done anyways just so if it is wrong i know for sure and if i do need to change the deflection they will do it for me?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
hey dave i cant believe you would go through belts that quick.
I got 2700 miles out of my last one. all thought maybe you put miles on quicker than i do..... man i want some snwl

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
ditch jumper,
i probaly weigh more than you, the best i have ever done is about 700 miles,
i dont wait for the belt to blow-up before i replace

·
Registered
580 Posts
Mine must be due for a melt down as I have 3600 miles on my Zl's 600's belt. ..

·
Administrator
21,217 Posts
F5 ... I experienced the same problem with the clutch not opening up. Put the sled up on my stand and "rotated" the belt off (actually worked pretty easy). It slid back on just fine, and my deflection came back after starting it up and engaging the clutch. I have no idea how your clutch could be THAT off just by "rotating" the belt off/on. If you've started it and engaged the clutch, I would definitely measure the belt and compare it to your old belt. Other than that, it might be worth a call to the dealer for their input.

My .02

Chris

·
Registered
169 Posts
The Dayco Ultimax II number is 140-4748 which mean 1.4" wide and 47 and 48/64th's which is obviously 47 3/4" long. it is the same as the 0627-020 which is the stock Arctic Cat belt. To remove a belt lock the brake and rotate the back sheave of the secondary, then grab the top of the belt about halfway between the clutches and give a swift upward pull, this will pull the belt into the secondary sheaves and give you enough to easily remove the belt. As far as the belt deflection after a new belt is installed, make sure you run the sled briefly to engage the belt. Then check belt deflection. To adjust the deflection remove shims from in between the secondary clutch. If you want to measure a belt use a flexible tape measure and measure the ouside of the belt. I could go on and on here, but this should answer most of your questions.
Dave I don't care what you ride, and I can guarentee you don't ride as hard we cross country race, your alignment is off. Unless your using really cheap belts, or are purposely burning flat spots on the belt. Your offset should be 5/8" or use a Arctic offset tool and check it. As your belt wears use the shims in the secondary to keep the right belt height and it will last a long time.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Originally posted by LabonteF7@Dec 18 2002, 10:11 AM
F5 ... I experienced the same problem with the clutch not opening up. Put the sled up on my stand...
Is this the only way to get belts on & off? I couldn't spread the secondary either. Can you imagine doing this in some really nasty terrain? Sounds like a shitty deal. :(

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
With the green secondary spring you have to push hard. Push on the roller cover and try to rotate it clockwise. PUSH HARD. By the way 3000 miles on my 800 ZR with one ultimax and still going strong.
Cat S.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The easiest way to spread the sheaves is to lock the parking brake, grab the secondary by the tower around the helix that holds the rollers, turn it counter clockwise, then pull up on the belt. Then you can work the belt out starting at one point and going around. I usually put the belt back on with the track off the ground, get the belt started and turn the whole clutch until the belt is seated. The deflection can not be checked until the belt has been run a few times around.

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
Got 20 miles on my new F7 and blew the belt tonight. Blew 4 or 5 cogs off. Not even driving hard yet.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts