Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replacing the waterpump on my 97 ZRT6, is it an easy job or hard job? Where do you start :dunno: I have never done it so any help would be appreciated very much! :beerchug:

·
Banned
995 Posts
:augen41: my buddy had it done onhis 99 zrt 600. the dealer took the pipes off and lifted the front of the motor up toget at the water pump. its involved and requires doing a complete rebuild, all seals and o rings,etc!HAWK!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Did mine myself, I did it in the sled, I would advise in getting the tool set from Cat for the job. It makes it alot easier. Get a new shaft, impeller and the new seals. On mine and a friend of mines the impeller and shaft were both worn. :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
1,873 Posts
Make sure when you do these rebuild that you check the side to side and up and down play.
There is a bushing that is pressed into the lower case half. If it has any side to side or up and down
play, this bushing MUST be replaced. You have to take the lower case half off to do this.
I have done a lot of them buy taking the seal plate off the pto end and taking the
flywheel and stator plate off the mag side.
Then turn your engine upside down and take the case bolts out of it.
Be careful and you can take the lower case off and still leave the complete engine together. Pull the pressed in water pump seal out of the case, now get in there with the small circlip pliers and remove the impeller shaft seal.
Get a 1/4 drive socket and extension that is just a little smaller than the bushing itself. Come in from the outside of the case and tap out the old bushing.
Now set the new bushing in the case and come through the other end to tap it in.
Also VERY IMPORTANT, Check the impeller shaft itself, if it is pitted or grooved in anyway IT MUST BE REPLACED, also when installing it back together, take some good quality wheel bearing grease and put a thin coat on the shaft, gears and the impeller seals.

This is for all Arctic Cat engines except the 800,900 and 1000 triples

·
Registered
14,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by snow800@Aug 27 2005, 02:10 PM
Make sure when you do these rebuild that you check the side to side and up and down play.
There is a bushing that is pressed into the lower case half. If it has any side to side or up and down
play, this bushing MUST be replaced. You have to take the lower case half off to do this.
I have done a lot of them buy taking the seal plate off the pto end and taking the
flywheel and stator plate off the mag side.
Then turn your engine upside down and take the case bolts out of it.
Be careful and you can take the lower case off and still leave the complete engine together. Pull the pressed in water pump seal out of the case, now get in there with the small circlip pliers and remove the impeller shaft seal.
Get a 1/4 drive socket and extension that is just a little smaller than the bushing itself.  Come in from the outside of the case and tap out the old bushing.
Now set the new bushing in the case and come through the other end to tap it in.
Also VERY IMPORTANT, Check the impeller shaft itself, if it is pitted or grooved in anyway IT MUST BE REPLACED, also when installing it back together, take some good quality wheel bearing grease and put a thin coat on the shaft, gears and the impeller seals.
This is for all Arctic Cat engines except the 800,900 and 1000 triples
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=849836
[/quote]

Snow,

Thats a hell of an explanation :Wow1: :div20: Thanks a ton. I be working on it in Sept-Oct so I have some time to gather the materials. Again thanks. And, thanks to the others that replied as well :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.