Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ijust got my sled (03 ProX 800) out of summer storage and rode it around the yard for a couple laps. When I brought it back into the garage I was just checking everything out. I went to check the chaincase fluid I pulled the stick out and there was a grey thick-soup like substance on the end. It had some metal fragments in it and must have been magnetised because it immediately was attracted to the brake rotor. What is wrong and what can I do to fix it? I hope it's not a big deal but I'm afraid it is. :help: :dunno:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
that's normal , the magnet on the end is to get the fragments out of the chaincase. i just changed the gear oil on my 99 last year and it looked dirty again the other day. just drain the fluid from it from the bottom , take the cover off , wipe out the inside , clean off the dipstick, put the cover back in , the plug back in the bottom and fill it back up :div20:

·
Registered
958 Posts
normal, most manufacturers put magnets on the dipsticks to clean the metal out of the fluid and reduce friction. u can always change ur fluid if u think its gotten too bad. the gray stuff is just oil mixed with the shavings, makes it look thicker than normal oil :cn:

·
Registered
60 Posts
How many miles do you have on it? I know if you are hard on the brake, you can stretch the chains pretty easily. You don't want to have on of these snap on you out in the middle of nowhere. There are some warning signs to let you know something is seriously wrong. If you've tightened the chain more than a few times or have had it slip on a couple of occasions, be sure to replace it. A chain now is a lot more afforadable than a new chain, chaincase, bearings and everything else that comes with breaking a chain. Trust me...this is the voice of experience speaking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts