Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always run Polaris chaincase oil but I am open to change. What other options are there?

·
Registered
876 Posts
im with polaris chain case oil

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
iJust buy the amsoil 75 90 gear oil. Don't waste the money on the amsoil chain case lube its basically the same stuff. I have also used the polaris stuff for years and its fine. Lower power sleds I used to run ATF and that always worked nice. Now I don't own anything under 100 HP so I have dropped the ATF.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I heard the amsoil tends to leak easer& found this to be true on my sled last year.So I have gone to the polaris this year to see if it stops leaking.

·
Registered
169 Posts
:polaris_rules:
O.E. Polaris Synthetic is what I have used with no trouble.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Originally posted by xcbullet@Aug 29 2005, 11:31 PM
I heard the amsoil tends to leak easer& found this to be true on my sled last year.So I have gone to the polaris this year to see if it stops leaking.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=852819
[/quote]

Leaks on my 00XC600 in the summer.

Jeff

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have been running Poo oil in the newer sleds, but I'm not all that impressed with it. i'm going to try a couple different things this winter in my '01. The first one I'm going to try is hypoid gear oil, cutting it down with spray chain lube. Gear oil is great for lubing the contact points between the chain and sprocket, but IMO, will remain to thick to properly lube the chain itself.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've had two Polaris's a total of six seasons using poo syn with no issues. I changed the chaincase oil every year. It's only seven bucks.

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,145 Posts
Originally posted by Needsnow@Sep 14 2005, 03:51 AM
I have been running Poo oil in the newer sleds, but I'm not all that impressed with it. i'm going to try a couple different things this winter in my '01. The first one I'm going to try is hypoid gear oil, cutting it down with spray chain lube. Gear oil is great for lubing the contact points between the chain and sprocket, but IMO, will remain to thick to properly lube the chain itself.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=874138
[/quote]
Spray chain lube is usually formulated to be very sticky. That is important to keeping it on an exposed roller chain and also keeping it from slinging off. BUT, it is not designed to be sitting in volume in a sump with the chain going thru it. My concern is that it would add a lot of friction, especially when cold. The reason the manufacturers went to a lighter weight oil in conjunction with timing chain type is to get and keep lubrication on the tight clearances around the pins and links.

It does occassionally have a problem leaking out of a chaincase, but it is usually caused by getting past the gasket, sometimes getting past a bearing seal and rarely by chaincase or cover porosity. The first two can be corrected, the third can be dealt with by running a load of petroleum oil for a short period, which will plug up the pores in the castings, and then going back to the proper synthetic.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Originally posted by Poo boy@Aug 29 2005, 03:29 AM
I have always run Polaris chaincase oil but I am open to change.  What other options are there?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=851583
[/quote]

i have run strait 30wt motor oil in mine for 20+ years with no problems. cheap and easy to find, plus it works. running 75w-90 you will loose power with the added fluid friction. the thin Polaris crap does not do a good job of lubricating. you end up with an extremely furry dipstick, and it finds its way out of the breather tube if you flop your sled over. Brian

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
never heard of the actual oil causing a leak ......must have had a bad drain plug ..........or gasket ...i had a bad drain plug on my 02 edge x 800.....................
as i have stated before i use amsoil in every thing i own............i swear by it.........

1 - 17 of 17 Posts