Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took cover off,everything looks ok.Sled is a 02 ZRT has the 2 piece tensioner.Track turns freely,bearings appear ok on both shafts.Was fine until It launched hard on the grass,something slipped then this snap sound every time you nail it.Any ideas?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Pathfinder@Oct 12 2005, 06:10 PM
there is not much to a sled chain case second guess bearings . spin clutch by hand and listen for the sound
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=925363
[/quote]
That's just it.I've diagnosed all the parts but can't see anything wrong.Chain isn't stretched out,gears are good,tensioner parts move freely,track turns by hand easily and without noise.Clutches have been cleaned and inspected.Track tension is good.Just a nasty snap,pop sound at enagement on the chain side.I slammed the clutch forward by hand but nothing unordinary.Hopefully this has happened to someone else and they know the problem.Anything else I may need to check?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
With the track on the ground and the belt off(make sure the parking brake is released) grab the secondary and turn forward and backward with considerable force. How much play do you have?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
is it like a ratcheting snap that vibrates? thatd be the chain if it were that. id check for loose bolts and check over all the bearings. lso make sure track tension is good.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
The two piece tensioner can't keep enough pressure on the chain. My zl used to do the same thing until I changed it to the manual one piece tensioner. It looks tight until you get on the gas hard. The spring go completely loose, the chain will start jumping the top gear.

Open up the chaincase, grab the chain and see how easy it is to pull the chain to the outside of the cases.

·
Registered
633 Posts
You have to use a manual tensioner the springs will not do the trick with any type of hook up .Cat should have them in stock if your chain case does not have the hole for the adjusting bolt you will need to drill and tap your chain case . The adjusting bolt goes through the front side of the chain case. your cover is held on with six bolts the adjuster goes though were the front center bolt goes you will have to cut that flat then drill and tap a right angle drill should do the trick.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I removed the studs from the track but it still snaps the chain.I think it's the left side tensioner hitting the chaincase.Maybe on snow this won't be a problem.I'll look into the manual adjuster.Thanx!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Did you take the secondary clutch apart recently?

I have seen the secondary roller cover put back on without turning the roller cover to get the pre-tension on the spring. This causes a loud snapping sound when the clutch engages but otherwise the sled will still accelerate pretty good.

Just another thing to check.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I put a new primary clutch on and new belt.No more snap noise?Guess the old clutch was binding and then wham it hit so hard the chain adjuster was slapping the chaincase?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts