Hardcore Sledder banner

What type of Chaincase oil or lubrication do you use?

• klotz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AMS Synthetic

• OEM Synthetic

• anykind of w 30 or w 50 oil

• good old ATF.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use ATF..........see what kind of answers we get....

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Nothing but ATF here for the last 30 years with no problems, and it doesn't smell so shitty like Gear lube does, and if you do get a leak the puddles are red in the snow so you know you have a problem

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
i have the amsoil in mine because at a sled show some guy had some for like 4 bucks and i thought "what the hell y not try it"

·
Registered
13 Posts
I use straight 30 weight engine oil, Lets remeber here guys, were lubricating a chain, not launching a rocket....On agricultural equipment with greater loads,
there are open chains (but still guarded) that run for years and years, with little more than an occassional pump oil can. given, the speeds might not be quite
as fast.... Just my .02 ....Plus, You don't second guess whether its time to be changed or not, You just do it. KJC

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I think a better poll would be "have you ever had a lube related chain failure? Yes-No.

I use atf now, but have used gear oil and chaincase lube. Never noticed any difference.

It seems that the aftermarket gears leave less fuzz on the stick magnet than the originals do though.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
OTHER

Motomaster Synthetic Gear Fluid.
Basically full synthetic 75W90. The exact same spec. as Bombardier Chaincase lube at a fraction of the price. A litre for under CA$10.00. Amsoil offers a similar product in their automotive line which also works exceptionally.

My findings:
AC Chaincase Oil was fine.
Amsoil pissed out everywhere. One old time sled wrench speculated that it foamed to much, building chaincase pressure and forcing the lube out anyway it could escape. :dunno: Clearly it evacuated the chaincase through both the driveshaft and jackshaft bearings.
Bombardier worked great but cost a kings ransom. All the leaking stopped without any mechanical changes. Same bearings. Same seals.
Motomaster works the same as Bombi but cost ~1/8 the amount. :div20: The 75W90 also stays crystal clean much, much longer than Amsoil ever did. And no it doesn't thicken up severely in -40 weather. It's synthetic, not mineral.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I think a better poll would be "have you ever had a lube related chain failure? Yes-No.

I use atf now, but have used gear oil and chaincase lube. Never noticed any difference.

It seems that the aftermarket gears leave less fuzz on the stick magnet than the originals do though.[/b]
Yes.
The chaincase on my TNT 640 blew apart from lack of lube.
Too dumb to check it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts