Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone ever strip the threads on the inside of the chaincase plug. i changed the oil and put the plug back in at a weird angle and they stripped. I'm going to tap the chaincase and put a new plug in - anyone ever do this? if so what size tap threads did you use? and what type of plug? I dont want to have to replace the chaincase!

thanks

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
anyone ever strip the threads on the inside of the chaincase plug. i changed the oil and put the plug back in at a weird angle and they stripped. I'm going to tap the chaincase and put a new plug in - anyone ever do this? if so what size tap threads did you use? and what type of plug? I dont want to have to replace the chaincase!

thanks[/b]
Crappy. Seems to happen alot. It hasn't happened to me yet, but I've heard guys just tapping and threading as you intend to do. Just go up to next bigger size and find bolt to plug it with. I'd suggest bringing the tap with you to the bolt supply house to ensure proper fitment.

In hindsight, I don't bother with that screw at all anymore. I was lucky....one time I striped the allen head in the drain plug. Now I never touch them....I just pull the cover off and line the belly pan with a bunch of paper towels and soak up the oil. Messy?.....hell yeah, but I'd rather just clean up a little bit of oil instead of running into that headache.

I hope it works out well for ya!

·
Registered
47,316 Posts
Keep a sled more than a season or 2 and like the sun rises in the east everyday....its almost guaranteed that the allen keyway on a polaris chaincase drain plug will strip out. Can't figure why polaris keeps using this stupid method of removing the drain plug...we complained about it for the past dozen years or so but still its done this way. :frech32: If it can't be remove by pounding a similar size torx tool in its place to secure a grip....next step is a drill and easyout...aka.. lefthand drill bit....use the biggest one possible and make sure its all done on center.

·
Registered
47,316 Posts
Just read this over....missed the part the case itself is stripped...i would think you could get some type of next size automotive plug or pipe plug and retap the case...seen another guy install one of those brass type drain plugs...looked better than oem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.