Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:polaris_rules:
I cannot seem to get the chaincase cover completely off. I heve removed the exhaust pipe & silencer and still the cover will not pass the end of the driveshaft.
I have all of the mech. reverse disconnected as well.
What am I not seeing?
I hope I dont have to drill the bellypan rivets out to gain enough clearance to get the cover past the driveshaft.

HELP

·
Registered
177 Posts
not sure but sounds like your trying to remove the entire case.
there are five 3/8" head bolts that hold mine on.
04 switchback

·
Registered
128 Posts
Some times the drive shaft sticks in the bearing.

I'm assuming you have the clutch side bearing removed and you've double checked to make sure all nuts are off the chaincase, and all the spacers were removed behind the driveshaft gear.

Usually if it sticks, gentle tapping with a deadblow hammer will push it through. I'd bolt the chain case back in place with at least 2 bolts to keep it from moving around or distorting.

I work on a lot of old abused sleds and often come across driveshafts where the splines have been distorted over years of abuse. If it is really stuck, there is a solution, but most people hate to do this. Drill a 1/2" hole in the outer belly pan, or like you said, remove it. If you drill the hole, you'll need a long punch.

I do this with the sled on it's side and the driveshaft hanging loose - straight down with the other end floating in the bearing hole. Thread a junk bolt into the driveshaft, line up the punch and give it a couple hard whacks with a 5lb mallet. Usually 5-6 will push it through the chain case.

You will need to replace the bearing and seal if you do this, and it might be a good idea to examine the driveshaft end closely to see what made it stick in the bearing. Often you'll find burrs on the splines, and sometimes you'll find the splines have twisted from abuse.

When you reinstall it, rub a little anti sieze compound on the shaft before you slide it into the bearing and you'll find it won't happen again.

If you do a clean job, the hole you drilled can be covered using one of the plastic snap-in caps Polaris uses to hide the bolts at the back sides of the belly pan near the top.

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,144 Posts
Originally posted by Mr.Xc@Sep 1 2005, 08:02 PM
:polaris_rules:
I cannot seem to get the chaincase cover completely off. I heve removed the exhaust pipe & silencer and still the cover will not pass the end of the driveshaft.
I have all of the mech. reverse disconnected as well.
What am I not seeing?
I hope I dont have to drill the bellypan rivets out to gain enough clearance to get the cover past the driveshaft.

HELP
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=857662
[/quote]
Do you really mean you cannot get the COVER off, or do you mean you cannot get the chaincase out, which has the driveshaft running through it?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies... I'm just trying to remove the cover not the entire chain case. It seems to be too narrow between the lower gear (w/reverse) and the bellypan. The bottom lip of the cover gets stuck between the lower gear and the bellypan. If the bellypan was not molded/formed to allow for the front suspension trailing arm, the cover would come right off. Is it possible I have to somehow remove the chain & gears first so the cover will pass between the bellypan and the end of the driveshaft? I have a O.E manual on the sled, all is says is "remove the cover" no other instructions are given. :dunno:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Some times the belly pans get pushed up from hitting rocks, etc and general abuse. You might have to take a piece of wood and hammer it down a little to make some clearance.

·
Registered
537 Posts
i've heard guys using a heat gun or torch to make it soft but be careful and them pushing down on the inside of the pan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts